“Something Different & Good in Jville”
Review of Marrakesh

Marrakesh
Ranked #1 of 253 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The food was very good here but the service was a little slower than I would have liked. It seemed like there were only 2 people working the entire evening and although they were attentive they were also over burdened and it affected the quality of the service. The ambiance of the restaurant was nice having some authentic sounding music in the background as well as an open kitchen that I could see into from the table I had a seat at. The food was good indeed. The salad was spectacular, the felafel was plentiful, and the lamb chops were very good.

There are newer reviews for Marrakesh

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was my first time eating here and luckily I had friends with me who had before otherwise I would have had no idea what I was ordering. There are no pictures on the menu. They do give descriptions but unless you are familiar with this type of food it still won't help. The food tasted very good. We all enjoyed what we ordered and I would go back again.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

When we were stationed at Lejeune, we loved to eat here! Delicious, fresh food that I miss! I wish there was a place that could compare to Marrakesh near where we are now.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We decided to try lunch here after hearing so many glowing reviews about Marrakesh. I ordered the Chicken Tawook platter while my wife ordered the Chicken Kabob platter. These are essentially the same type of dish, but we ordered them to see if there was a difference in flavor. There wasn't, so it was a little puzzling. However, the chicken and spices were excellent, with great, fresh flavors of paprika, curry, tomato, and citrus. The chicken was not spicy and the lemon flavor was very mild. The platters came with yellow rice and your choice of another side salad. The yellow rice, which I was hoping might be the saffron variety, was ok. I think turmeric was used to make the rice a yellow color, but I tasted no other flavors. In fact, it was neither spicy, savory, or sweet, which is what I've experienced in other Mediterranean/Arabic restaurants. The salad was excellent! We both had the fattoush salad, which was extremely tasty with fresh ingredients like tomatoes, spring onions, olive oil, mint and pita croutons. They did offer other salads like tahini and tabbouleh, which looked very tasty. I can't forget the mint iced tea - fantastic! If you like a bit more flavor than the normal Southern sweet tea, you gotta get the mint tea!
Although we enjoyed the meal, the ambiance in the front room is lacking and the wait staff were slow. We were greeted warmly on arrival, but nothing was said as we left. I think dinner might be nicer in the back room because the buffet tables in front of the kitchen kind of detracted. The bathrooms were sad and cold. Overall, I hate to be negative when a place with good food that's diverse offers eastern carolina other options. Unfortunately, after we returned home my wife got sick and her stomach was unsettled for the rest of the day and that night. Still, I was fine and because our meals were similar it could have been something else that caused her upset stomach. Wish I could give 3.5 stars because I see potential. We'll try dinner sometime and hopefully experience their true potential!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was not impressed with the food. I am accustomed to eating this type of food, but the food was overly spiced and semi cool when it arrived. I had made a reservation and they did not notate it, I had to wait 30 minutes before being seated.
The owner was very rude, he argued with me concerning my reservation I made, stating, "my son was here, it was the one you spoke with, he said you did not request seating." The only reason I did not leave was because I was there that night to watch a belly dancing show that a friend of mine was performing in, otherwise I would have walked out at that time.