“Fresh Tasty Lunch, But Ambiance Lacking”
Review of Marrakesh

Marrakesh
Ranked #2 of 266 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We decided to try lunch here after hearing so many glowing reviews about Marrakesh. I ordered the Chicken Tawook platter while my wife ordered the Chicken Kabob platter. These are essentially the same type of dish, but we ordered them to see if there was a difference in flavor. There wasn't, so it was a little puzzling. However, the chicken and spices were excellent, with great, fresh flavors of paprika, curry, tomato, and citrus. The chicken was not spicy and the lemon flavor was very mild. The platters came with yellow rice and your choice of another side salad. The yellow rice, which I was hoping might be the saffron variety, was ok. I think turmeric was used to make the rice a yellow color, but I tasted no other flavors. In fact, it was neither spicy, savory, or sweet, which is what I've experienced in other Mediterranean/Arabic restaurants. The salad was excellent! We both had the fattoush salad, which was extremely tasty with fresh ingredients like tomatoes, spring onions, olive oil, mint and pita croutons. They did offer other salads like tahini and tabbouleh, which looked very tasty. I can't forget the mint iced tea - fantastic! If you like a bit more flavor than the normal Southern sweet tea, you gotta get the mint tea!
Although we enjoyed the meal, the ambiance in the front room is lacking and the wait staff were slow. We were greeted warmly on arrival, but nothing was said as we left. I think dinner might be nicer in the back room because the buffet tables in front of the kitchen kind of detracted. The bathrooms were sad and cold. Overall, I hate to be negative when a place with good food that's diverse offers eastern carolina other options. Unfortunately, after we returned home my wife got sick and her stomach was unsettled for the rest of the day and that night. Still, I was fine and because our meals were similar it could have been something else that caused her upset stomach. Wish I could give 3.5 stars because I see potential. We'll try dinner sometime and hopefully experience their true potential!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was not impressed with the food. I am accustomed to eating this type of food, but the food was overly spiced and semi cool when it arrived. I had made a reservation and they did not notate it, I had to wait 30 minutes before being seated.
The owner was very rude, he argued with me concerning my reservation I made, stating, "my son was here, it was the one you spoke with, he said you did not request seating." The only reason I did not leave was because I was there that night to watch a belly dancing show that a friend of mine was performing in, otherwise I would have walked out at that time.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place is wonderful. I've eaten here twice so far - once for a date night with my husband and once with our young son. Both times the food was amazing! The place is clean and the food is fresh. My husband loved the tabbouleh. I recommend the hummus - so fresh and has a little heat to it (spicy). Jacksonville definitely needs more restaurants with freshly made food like this one! The only thing I noticed on both visits was the service is on the slow side. But be patient, the food is worth it.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The food is extremely fresh and well prepared. Love the lunch buffet with choice of two meats. You get a large plate full of tabbouleh, couscous salad, hummus and other salads, and you can go back for more. The chicken and lamb are wonderfully seasoned. Also, the Earl Grey tea is nothing like I've tasted before...fresh mint is added and the aroma as well as taste is tantalizing.The wait staff is wonderful...helpful and super nice. The owner is very personable and is very interested in pleasing his customers! Call ahead to find out when a belly dancer will be performing. I've eaten at Marrakesh numerous times and will go back over and over again!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This place is awesome. This is a hidden place in Jvegas. I never thought a place like this would be in jacksonville but im glad it is. the food is awesome, the people are super nice and the restaurant reminds me of turkey and israel. very nice