“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Jacksonville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while visiting family and stayed in a one bedroom queen suite. The little kitchen was clean and had everything we needed. The mattress on the bed was terrible, the bathroom was dingy, the floor was dirty and the tub/shower was dirty. I had to clean it myself before we could use it. The worst problem was that the room smelled like cigarette smoke the whole time we were there. (This hotel is advertised as a non-smoking facility) If you can't stand smoke do not stay here. We called the desk about the smell and they came and sprayed something - which did nothing. We stayed here because we were bringing along our small dog and pets are allowed with a deposit. Based on our experience we would not stay here again, the smoke smell was awful. For the price of this little suite it should have been fresh and clean.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank klpb
TPSJax, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I would like to thank you for choosing our TownePlace Suites by Marriott. I am very sorry for the issues you had during your visit. We do pride ourselves in maintaining Marriott's high standards. If you stay at any Marriott and the guest service agent does take care of an issue to your satisfaction be sure to ask to speak to the General Manager. I want all my guest to have a wonderful experience at my TownePlace Suites and I am also disappointed that your stay wasn't top notch.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

There were 13 of us spread out among both suites and regular rooms. Since I was solo, I had a regular room with a King-size bed and a kitchenette. I was very pleased with my room. The bed was comfortable, the room and bathroom were clean, and the kitchenette was stocked with utensils, dishes, soap, paper towels, etc. I visited my relatives' rooms who were in suites, and those were very spacious and well laid out. We were there the week Hurricane Sandy made her way up the Eastern coastline, and the staff made everyone feel safe and kept everyone informed about weather issues. I just can't say enough about how friendly the staff were. We were in town for my grandmother's funeral and the staff were so caring, friendly and respectful toward us. I didn't encounter one single staff member anywhere in the hotel who didn't greet me with a "hello", or a "good morning" or what have you ever time I saw someone. Oh and if you're hungry, there are a plethora of restaurants nearby. I'm not a breakfast eater so all I can tell you about the hotel breakfast was that it was included with the room. Hallelujah for the all-day coffee bar though! (Especially when that cold front hit!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
TPSJax, Manager at TownePlace Suites Jacksonville, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to compliment my hotel and staff. We strive to make our guest feel at home. We know you have several choices in Jacksonville and we are very grateful you choose our TownePlace Suites by Marriott.
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was in town for a pleasure trip. The area the hotel is locate is a short drive to lots of restarurants and shopping. The bed was comfortable, bathroom needs some upgrading, breakfast was the usual cereals and fruits. I would stay again. There was a tropical storm affecting the area the hotel staff was excellent in keeping us updated on the storm status and called to make sure we were ok.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Flint, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

As a platinum Marriott member, I've stayed all over.

This Marriott is on the more moderate, to mediocre side. Granted, the room I had was large, the layout was a bit odd for such a large space. The furniture was nice, albeit slightly older. And the dresser and desk was built of $4 dollar material.

That being said, the bed was comfy, but could certainly use a new mattress. The Internet, touted as "free wifi throughout the hotel", was terrible.

Would I stay again - probably not. Would I recommend it, yeah, but there is no cheer leading for this location.

• Stayed September 2012
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our son is stationed at Camp LeJeune. We have made a number of trips to Jacksonville for visits and have always stayed at the TownePlace. As many other contributors have mentioned, the staff is very friendly and helpful. They are attentive to our needs and do what they can to make our stay enjoyable. The rooms are very comfortable and clean.
On the down side, since this is an extended stay hotel, you don't get a full cleaning service every day (just fresh towels and empty trash). When you have 2-3 people sharing a room, I would prefer to have more frequent cleaning. Also, the kitchen is sparsely stocked with cooking and eating utensils. Not that we spend a lot of time cooking, but it would be nice to have some addition glasses and plates.
I also have difficulty using my Marriott reward points at this location. Every time we've stayed, the dates were blacked out. Odd....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Due to an unexpected last minute change in plans, we needed to stay 1 night in Jacksonville. Our previous experience with TownePlace suites wasn't the greatest, so we didn't have high expectations. We wanted to have the flexibility of cooking dinner and eating in the room, so we decided to give the TownePlace suite another try.

Boy, we were impressed! Tyra greeted us at check-in, and was friendly and professional. She went out of her way to help us out. Each time we would enter, she would greet us with a smile. The junior suite was on the small side, but includes a small kitchen. What impressed us the most was how clean and fresh smelling the room was. The room was so well maintained it made us feel like we were the first guests at a new hotel! Sound insulation at this property seems better than the average hotel because we didn't hear a peep.

The complementary breakfast could use a bit of a tune-up. The only selections were cereal, breads, muffins, and bagels. It's certainly better than others, but not as good as you would find in a Fairfield Inn or Residence Inn. It would be ideal if management would add hard boiled eggs, or even some meat items (like the frozen biscuits found at Fairfield Inn). Another thing that was slightly annoying was the crowds of smokers that hang out at the entrance of the hotel. Dodging smoke clouds to get inside is not the best impression.

Location is on Western Blvd and while there are lots of restaurants within minutes, a car is recommended as nothing is in the immediate walking distance.

Overall, it was a great experience, and gives us a new impression of TownePlace Suites. We will definitely stay here again if the opportunity arises!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

pulled off interstate just south of jacksonville, they were out of suites for 5 but offered us two king suites for the price of one larger one. all slept well very nice clean hotel with easy access to interstate. very friendly staff. rooms and beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family