“Nasty!”

Comfort Suites Jacksonville
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Don't stay here. This place was poorly kept. Not clean and everything seemed old and dingy. Walls, floors and carpets gross and beat-up. Had a musty smell. Lousy beds. Woken up all hours with slamming doors. loud voices in hallway,stomping feet upstairs and loud TVs easily heard through paper-thin walls. Standard breakfast that we didn't eat, much too crowded. We stayed only because we were in town for a wedding and had group-rate rooms.Needless to say, I was happy to have brought my Lysol wipes here! EWWWW. Wish I'd have gone elsewhere. Then, on the Saturday of the wedding, they told all the guests that the parking lot was going to be re-paved and that all cars from the back of the hotel (pretty much their only parking) had to be out by 8am. They were welcome to park at their sister hotel's lot ...across a busy 4-lane highway! It wasn't even directly across the street. I doubt the lot got paved that weekend because upon leaving and returning there were PLENTY of cars still in the lot. Who would try to pave a lot on a Saturday that the place was packed?! Poor planning, poor customer service. It's beyond me why the place was so busy other than Camp LeJeune having functions and people having nowhere else to stay. Word to management : REMODEL! It was especially frustrating after having just left a hotel in another town in NC that was excellent in every way... for the same price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rgnchris
CSNC017, General Manager at Comfort Suites Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the issues that you had during your stay here at Comfort Suites, we have been undergoing an ongoing remodel and we have been remodeling the rooms and we are replacing all of our beds and redoing every bathroom on property. It is unfortunately not an overnight process to do a full remodel without shutting down the hotel. I apologize for the issues that you incurred during your stay here and we hope that you will be willing to give us another chance to change your mind and surprise you. Please feel free to contact our warm and inviting front desk staff for any reservations or questions you may have regarding our property. Once again we thank you for choosing Comfort Suites Jacksonville, NC and we hope that you will come visit us again real soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Suites for one night during a business trip. I was not impressed at all, but realize it could have been a lot worse. The first thing that I noticed is that their parking lot doesn't feel very safe and is not convenient at all. I was by myself and to having to walk from the back of the building to get to the front door in a strange town was less than exciting.

The building is old, which wouldn't be bad if I felt that it was taken care of. It looked as if they had tried to update it, but nothing seemed really "clean". The elevator didn't feel secure. When the doors shut they banged together and didn't seem closed all the way. You could see between the doors of the elevator and they looked disgusting.

The room smelled musty. Grout issues in the bathroom. The whole room just felt cold and damp. I noticed on the wall behind the couch it appeared someone had sprayed a soft drink on the wall, it also landed on the side of the nightstand and a sign on the nightstand and had not been cleaned. It could have been from the previous guest or a year ago...I have no idea, but once I saw it I felt the whole place had never really been cleaned.

I picked up the phone to call the front desk and it was disgusting. I wiped it down with hand sanitizer. There were hairs around the cord. I called the front desk 4 times from about 9:30pm to 10:30 and got a busy signal. Someone was trying to reach me and they said it took an hour for someone to pick up the phone...it just rang and rang.

Overall just not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Fairfield Inn and Holiday Inn Express were unusually pricey compared to other cities, so I chose the Comfort Suites. It fit the bill for a single-night, value stay. But the property is aging, and the ownership does not take pride in upgrading or even maintaining. Musty smell. Stained grout in bathroom. Etc.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at Comfort Suites on business and overall I had a pleasant stay. The front desk lady was very pleasant as well. The housekeepers were very welcoming and actually looked like they enjoyed their jobs. They cleaned the rooms in a timely manner and even offered me extra amenities without me even asking. I would reccomend this hotel to friends and family hands down. I really appreciate great hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Bedazzle80
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I came into town a few days ago, for my son's graduation at camp gieger. of course i had forgot too make prior reservations, so it was very difficult too locate a decent hotel room around the area, because of the overbooking. i checked out the reviews for this hotel, was NOT impressed but this was the only hotel with ANY availability. despite the reviews below, i am convinced this is a very comfortable and well priced choice too stay. it's not a Hilton or anything, but it was decent.

Staff was very pleasant, as well as Breakfast Bar attendant. my room was pretty spotless, didn't see any bugs (thank goodness). although i am aware of the water bug issue around this area, i had no issues. breakfast was nice, hot and delightful. had a slight issue with housekeeping replenishing my tolietries while i was out, but the Front Desk attended too the issue immediatly.

As i said before, reading the reviews had me quite skeptical, but this stay ended up more enjoyable than i had expected. it's worth a shot if you ask me!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CharlitoD12
Reviewed July 9, 2012

:-) great hotel, very clean and comfortable. Friendly staff and good rates enjoyed my stay :-)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kelly H
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights (Jun3 30th - July 2, 2012) and only stayed because we had no other options. Our budget was extremely tight, and there were no other available hotels in the area.

The bathroom had black mold on the ceiling and walls, the bathtub took about 30 minutes to drain after each use, and the exhaust fan hardly did anything (which I would assume is the cause for the mold). On our last day we found a roach running around the room. Thankfully we were packing up at that point or we would have slept in our car!

I brought the mold and tub draining problem to the attention of the front desk person as soon as we realized it, but I was told that the hotel was completely booked so they couldn't move us to another room. We tried looking for other hotels in the area, but weren't able to find a single available room. She told me that she would let management know, and that we would be compensated. The receipt left under our door showed no such compensation, so I brought everything to the attention of the front desk person when we checked out. She gave us a discount resulting in a rate of $69 a night. A room with black mold and roaches is NOT worth $69 a night.

Also, we found a sock from a previous guest laying next to the safe. Clearly the cleaning crew is not doing their jobs.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gazel99

I want to take the time to thank you for letting us know about the issues that you had during your stay here with us at Comfort Suites. We are currently undergoing an ongoing remodel and rennovation of our property. We are under new management as of August and all of the staff has been trained well. We are currently remodeling the rooms and the bathrooms. We are removing the wallpaper and repainting in all the guest rooms and we are going to be replacing the bathtubs and beds in every room, and we are getting all new linens as part of our remodel. We look forward to having the opportunity to impress you, please feel free to contact any of our qualified and friendly front desk staff to book your next vacation to Comfort Suites Jacksonville, NC