“Good value for the money”

Review of Janus

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Average - based on 10 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Trail5505...
“Good value for the money”
Reviewed October 12, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Janus is in a great location - just over the corporate line from Emerald Isle in Indian Beach at a very narrow part of the island. This makes it about half-way from either end, making your drive in either direction (west into Emerald Isle or east to Atlantic Beach) very easy. The beach itself when we were there is in good shape and comfortably wide at low tide, but not much there at high tide (there was strong surf from off-shore hurricanes), and as is typical in September very uncrowded, just what we like.

The house itself is as described (a major exception as noted below).

Pros:
> the house is much bigger than listed. It has seven bedrooms, not four (I presume this is a typo on the part of the owner/realtor and not an attempt to sneak around septic tank sizing rules).
> if you have a large group with three separate families the house will be great. It is laid out so you can have three separate sleeping areas (two upstairs with two bedrooms and a bath each and one downstairs with three bedrooms and a bath). Downstairs even has its own thermostat so you aren't fighting over AC temp all the time.
> the kitchen is well equipped (if a bit jumbled in the cabinets) with tons of dishes so you actually CAN feed the 18 people that the house will hold.
> there's a second refrigerator in the downstairs laundry area with an icemaker (no icemaker upstairs).
> the screens on the sliding doors actually work! (frequently in these beach-side places they are crap).
> you have both covered and uncovered deck areas, great for adjusting how much sun you get.
> they have both an enclosed and non-enclosed outdoor shower (both with hot/cold water) - very nice (I think we used the indoor shower maybe twice in two weeks)

Cons - there are no Cons, just things to know before you go:
> the rooms with the king beds are cramped, so much so they can't fit end tables with the beds. It's nice to have a king, but a queen and end tables would have been more comfortable.
> the walk to the beach is "rustic," with only some initial steps down to the top of the dune then a path across the dune to get to the beach. It won't be good for people that are unsteady walking.
> EIR has this rental in their "Bronze" category. Do not expect more. It is not fancy. If you want fancy, don't stay here then be disappointed (stay some place else and pay a whole lot more money).
> you can easily put 18 people in this place, but realize that the inside common areas (the upstairs living room and the downstairs "den") are not that big. Other than sitting at the dining tables you will be hard pressed to get all of those people in the same room at the same time (if that's what you want to do).
> the outdoor furniture provided with the house is minimal - bring your own chairs and loungers for the decks.
> since the house is in Indian Beach there is NO recycling, only trash pickup. There is no drop-off recycling anywhere in Emerald Isle or Indian Beach that we could find (we asked around) so expect to either haul the recycling home with you or throw it in the trash.

p.s. - I'm putting this review directly in TripAdvisor because Emerald Isle Realty did not give me an opportunity to add a review on their website (they said they would but then never followed up).

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Reviewed July 6, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
May 11, 2017
It has been some time since your stay and in reviewing the work completed on this property it looks like the owner has been hard at work making it nice for guests. Please give us a call and we share with you all the work that has been completed and is in progress.
IL
Reviewed August 13, 2012 for a stay in July 2012

Aug 13, 2012
Thank you for your review of your stay at Janus. I'm happy to know that this home fit your group so nicely and I hope you will return. Please call us when you begin making plans for your next vacation - 1-888-832-0140.
NC
Reviewed December 20, 2011 for a stay in November 2011

Dec 20, 2011
Thank you for your review of your stay at Janus and for your compliments of Emerald Isle Realty and staff. I agree, the location of this home is great! It pleases me to know that you enjoyed your stay and were able to spend time in beautiful Emerald Isle. I noticed you have already reserved a week this Summer, but please call us if you're interested in returning for a month long stay - 1-888-832-0140.
nc
Reviewed October 6, 2011 for a stay in September 2011

Traveling group: Business colleagues
Oct 6, 2011
Thank you for your review of your stay at Janus. I have checked our maintenance records and I don't show any reports of issues with the door lock so I trust this has been remedied. Please let us know of such issues during your stay and we'll happily work to resolve them for you. I hope you will revisit the Crystal Coast and again choose Emerald Isle Realty. Please call us when you begin making plans for your next stay - 1-888-832-0140.
NY
Reviewed August 23, 2011 for a stay in August 2011

Liked best: location
Liked least: lack of walkway to beach
Traveling group: Family (extended)
Your age range 45-54
Recommended for:
Young singles Friends getaway
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Tourists Large groups
Rugged travelers
Oh
Reviewed July 28, 2011 for a stay in July 2011

Check in / front desk
Traveling group: Family with young children
Your age range 65+
Jul 28, 2011
Thank you for your review of your stay at Janus. I'm so happy you have found your home away from home. I will surely notify our maintenance department so the deck and boardwalk can be checked out.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to greeting you and your family to Emerald Isle for many years to come. If you haven't already booked your same time, same place, please call us to do so - 1-888-832-0140.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing