“In need of customer courtesy training”

Residence Inn Charlotte Lake Norman
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Huntersville
Raleigh, North Carolina
“In need of customer courtesy training”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

One of the first impressions one makes is with the people that answer the phone when making changes to reservations. The person that answered the phone was surly and not helpful. Perhaps she was having a bad day. I chose to call another Marriott number to complete the transaction. They almost lost my business.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

First of all the location of this hotel is perfect -- within a half mile of 77, but not sitting on the freeway, so it's very quiet and has the feel of a lovely country setting (though it's only a 2 minute walk from a busy shopping center). There was a tree right outside our window -- when I woke up in the morning, it felt like a b & b! The room was very spacious (studio suite) for the 3 of us. The main bed was super comfortable and the foldout was fine for my son. The bathroom and kitchen were squeaky clean, and had everything needed to make dinner with the groceries bought nearby . The staff was incredibly friendly, and very helpful: the breakfast lady asked if there was anything else we needed ("this is your home away from home"); a person on the desk staff found my son's camera he'd left in the lobby and called up to our room to let us know, and another lady at the desk helped with the computer that froze while I was attempting to print our boarding passes. I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and this was definitely the best experience ever -- felt luxurious at a very reasonable price. I've never been inspired to write a hotel review before, but this place is a gem. Oh, and did I mention they have real butter, half and half, and honey among the usual fake breakfast condiments? And a pool table in the lobby - so fun!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
northern ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

Spacious, clean and a very nice continental breakfast. Cynthia the greeter/breakfast lady was so friendly and accommodating. Too bad we observed a lot of arrogant people who did not appreciate her. The only problems we had was that the pipes in the bathroom made a loud noise every time anyone in the vicinity used the toilet, not just ours, but surrounding rooms...and the idiot who set off his car alarm late at night. Otherwise, it was clean, comfy & a great location near shops & restaurants.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

This hotel is very nice! We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. It had a full kitchen, small living room, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. All of the staff was very friendly. The breakfast had a lot to offer, but some of the hot food was just so-so. The pool and hot tub were great. The location was nice - away from the main traffic area, but still close drive to shopping, restaurants, etc. There is a grocery store behind the hotel - about 5 minute walk.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Western PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed at this location with 10 family members on a stop over during our recent family vacation to Hilton Head. 7 Hours from PA, 4 to Hilton Head.

When we checked in, we were informed that one of our rooms (2BR Suite) was taken. A wedding party group extended their stay and did not check out. The Manager was accommodating with two 1-BR suites for the same price.

This newer Marriott location is close to Lake Norman and located in a great area for shops, restaurants, etc. Rooms, Pool, and Breakfast were great.

Overall, my family was satisfied and will likely plan to stay at this location again on our next trip south.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I had plans to meet friends here for the Coca-Cola 600. Both rooms were booked at the same time and both were for king beds. Our friends arrived first and checked in prior to us. When we arrived I asked if our room was near our friends, the gentlemen looked and said no nothing was available near our friends. I accepted that not a problem but when we got to our room we had a queen bed. My husband is a tall man and this was not acceptable. We went back to the check in desk, the gentleman apologized gave us another room which just happened to be right next door to our friends with a king bed! Why this happened I don’t know but it was the only thing wrong with our stay. (other than rain but there was nothing any one could do about that)
The first night everyone was tired after our long drives, so we ate the complimentary burgers and beer. They were not the best, but they were free and after a few beers it didn’t matter. My friend and I watched the American Idol finale in the billiard room while our husbands played pool. Easy fun first night.
We ate the hot/cold breakfast every morning. It was the best complimentary hotel breakfast we’ve ever had. We usually go out to eat breakfast at least once during our trip but there was no need.
The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortably. I was concerned because I read reviews that stated you could hear your neighbors. We did not. Although we had an end room and our friends were next door.
After the check-in confusion, we had nothing but good things to say about the staff. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
If we go back for a race we will definitely stay here again. We visited a number of race shops. This was a convenient location. We went to uptown Charlotte and it was about a 20 minute drive, for the cup race a 35 minute drive to track and for the nationwide race 20 minute drive to track.
Nice place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

Stayed here at huntersville for 5 days when i moved to charlotte in december. Hotel is decent but I must stay this is not the best Residence Inn marriott I have stayed. It seemed to me that this was not an original Marriott property.
The lady checking us in didnot even inform me about the Platinum bonus/gift. When contacted later, she informed me that she will add it to my account which she eventually did.
Breakfast was decent as expected in a Residence inn. They had a manager's dinner on almost all weekdays which was OK at best. They served burger one night which seemed to be a pretty weird choice for dinner.
All in all, a decent hotel but will not stay there again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Food and Staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntersville
Hampton Inn & Suites Huntersville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake Norman
Comfort Suites Lake Norman - Huntersville
Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman
Candlewood Suites Huntersville
Candlewood Suites Huntersville
#5 of 12 in Huntersville
Hampton Inn Charlotte North/Lake Norman

Been to Residence Inn Charlotte Lake Norman? Share your experiences!