“Great place to stay if you have Davidson College student”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake Norman
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Huntersville
Midlothian, VA
“Great place to stay if you have Davidson College student”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

My son is a freshman at Davidson College and I have stayed at Country Suites, Lake Norman twice now. The first was for 3 days when he moved in, and the second for family weekend.

I am more of a B&B person, and hotels are really not my thing. I will say, however, that I don't mind staying here at all. The rooms are affordable, the staff extremely pleasant, and the breakfast is much more than just some donuts and coffee! In fact, they have the best "hotel" breakfast I have ever had (in this hotel price range).

I have stayed in a suite both times, for far less than I thought it would be. The bedroom was spacious, and the "living room" had comfortable seating, work table, refrigerator, and microwave. The bathroom is well lit and typical for a hotel.

I tried out the pool and hot tub when I was there over last weekend, and I was very disappointed. The pool was very cold, and the hot tub was almost unbearably hot! Not sure if this was just a bad night at the controls, or if typical.

The location with regard to the college is ideal. It is less than 10 minutes away and you have several options on how you get there. The area itself is under MAJOR construction so it can be a bit difficult to navigate, especially at peak times. There are several major restaurants and stores close by. In fact, O'Charley's and Chilis (I think) are on the same property so you can walk there!

Coffee/tea/hot chocolate available in the main lobby at all hours - so how can you go wrong?

This isn't the BEST place around, but it ranks high up for being a family hotel that is reasonably priced, clean, friendly staff, and comfortable.

Room Tip: Parking lot side rooms are a bit quieter (I have stayed on both sides). Don't bother with the c...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank blackjava1964

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Had to spend a week in the area for work, and found this hotel very nice. The staff is so nice, and after having a terrible experience at the Courtyard, I was suprised by the value and quality of a hotel who didnt have the same prestige. My girlfriend and I agree, this was by far the most pleasant experience we have ever had at a hotel.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank willthomp
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is your basic Country Inn property. Convenient to the Interstate and several restaurants are within walking distance. Good place for an overnight stop. If you don't want the breakfast offerings, there is an IHop right around the corner. The staff was very nice and while it's not a new hotel - it's okay for the price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TripTech
Greenville
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I enjoyed my stay and everytime I come to Huntersville this will be the hotel I stay. The staff was so nice. They went out of the way to make sure we had everything.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Travler0299
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Our family has stayed here numerous times and have always been treated with respect and have truly enjoyed our experience!!! They have a delicious breakfast, beautiful living area, an awesome indoor pool and a great environment for families and anyone who wants to just relax and kick heir feet up. The fact that they have a refrigerator and microwave in the rooms is a total bonus too!!!!! Jane Blackwell, the Director of Sales was especially accommodating and sweet. If they did a commercial there, I wanna be in it :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I booked this hotel after reading all the positive reviews on this site but somehow not one seemed to mention their website's false advertising. Upon arrival I noticed that the entrance was not as grand and open as it appeared to be in the pictures. Next thing I noticed was how untidy the complimentary coffee area was and I am big on cleanliness. It turns me off to see crumbs, dirt and dust build up. I also noticed all the wear and tear of the hotel. Major wear down, scuff marks on the rugs, walls, floors. The trim in the lobby and rooms were falling apart and in need of major updating. There was a hole in our room wall (no wall plate) exposing cable wires so we asked to be switched to a better room without charge and they knidly accomadated that request. The hotel seemed to have been partly updated so not all was lost but the pictures on their website are very deceiving.

Also you do not get that grand breakfast as advertised (which was one of the main reasons we booked). When we got to the dining area there were microwaveble jimmy dean sausage biscuits and egg omelets and not the made to order omelets as shown on their "Be Our Guest Breakfast". The only food that was freshly made were the belgian waffles you make yourself on the waffle maker. When I went back to their website to check where the mistake had been made I saw in microscopic fine print that selections vary by day and hotel. So deceiving. So now every time I go to book a hotel I'll be sure to search for microscopic fine prints so not to be mislead again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Jane B, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake Norman, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
On behalf of the Country Suites Lake Norman, please allow me to say that we are sorry to hear of the challenges you faced while staying at our property. We pride ourselves on being able to offer a comfortable place to stay, coupled with great amenities, and an attentive staff. From your comments, you did not experience that while at our property, and for that, we sincerely apologize.
We will be addressing the items that you mentioned, and greatly appreciate your feedback. We will use the knoweldge gained to ensure that we are continuously working to improve in needed areas so that we can acheieve increased guest satisfaction.
If you are in our area again, we hope that you will please consider giving us a second chance. :)
Bermuda
Reviewed August 4, 2011

i have stayed here many times from 2008 to 2010. staff r helpfull and very friendly, the lobby is very homey and they have a happy hour where pple can mingle. rooms were clean and comfortable. bathroom clean. liked everything about this hotel. usualy stay here when the price is under $100.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Jane B, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake Norman, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
On behalf of the staff at Country Suites Lake Norman, I would like to thank you for your kind comments. We take pride in offering generous, honest hospitality to our guests and I am so pleased to see that you experienced that.
Our spacious, inviting lobby is perfect for hosting our Guest Socials every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night. This is just one of the great perks we offer, and we truly enjoy getting to know our guests!
Thank you for your continued patronge of our property and we hope to see you back again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntersville
Hampton Inn & Suites Huntersville
#9 of 12 in Huntersville
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Cornelius

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake Norman? Share your experiences!