WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Comfort Suites Lake Norman - Huntersville

Comfort Suites Lake Norman - Huntersville
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Huntersville
Beaufort, South Carolina
“I'll stay here again...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I think this is a nice property and will stay here again. I like the roomy entryway when I walked into my king suite. For once, I wasn't crowded by the closet in the entryway. Nice finishes in the bathroom with lots of towels. Very clean room all around. A comfortable side chair and sofa and a desk with a swingout feature to form a larger workspace. The keurig coffee maker was a nice touch.

I like the closet with pull out doors tucked in the corner of the room. The wall thermostat made me happy rather than having to fuss with the a/c unit. The bed was comfy once I was able to get up on it. I'm 5"5' and recently had knee surgery. Getting up on the high profile bed was a challenge but I slept well once there...I know there were some girls sports team staying in the hotel because I ran into them in the hallway but I couldn't hear them through the walls so kudos on the soundproofing!

The only downside was the staff who were rather lackadaisical once I got there, The night shift was more responsive than the day and evening shift during my 4 night stay. The desk was often not manned as I came and went and there was no sense of urgency to come help when I was standing there. Seeing someone giving herself a pedicure back in the office made me think twice about interrupting her and asking for help. But conversely, when I had a night desk clerk open a maintenance ticket because of the racket my a/c was making, she opened it and followed through to make sure the issue was resolved. Addtionally, I had a positive experience when booking the room. I had booked online but then the event I was participating in came up with a more desirable rate, I called to have my reservation changed to the better rate. The person I talked to didn't know about it and so let me know that she would call back once she found out more information. I received a call from the manager less than an hour later explaining that the new rate wasn't in the system yet which is why the original person couldn't find it. She moved me to the new rate and made a note in my online reservation.

So an overall positive experience. My first experience at a Comfort Suites and I was very pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Lake Norman NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This again was a very spur of the moment stay, out home septic pump went out and it was going to take sometime to get it repaired. We were able to get a two night stay for less than 100.00 per night with my AAA discount. The rooms were fabulous, clean, comfy and beyond our expectations.. I would highly recommend this hotel if passing through our visiting Charlotte NC. (Its about 12 miles north of Charlotte) Great breakfast also included with our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

An exceptionally nice appearance for a 2+ year old property, but customer service and other details may fall short of seasoned travelers' expectations.

Lobby: inviting appearance but, placement of furnishings limits guest access to front desk when busy (especially when other guests are passing by with luggage carts).

Breakfast area: inviting, but contains only 7 small tables, mostly 2-3 seats and a bar counter (for 89-rooms?); one-third of breakfast area is displaced by 4 large upholstered single-seat chairs (looks great – not functional; while adjacent "staff only" breakfast prep area has huge amount of underutilized floor space).

King suite: nicely decorated, but bed is squeezed in 9" from wall A/C unit – shuffle sideways (with your feet under the bed) to get into bed on the window side (which has no bedside table); just 1 bedside table/lamp on opposite side

Closet with double hinged doors (w/ 90 degree stop pins); unable to walk between bed and closet without closing closet door; inadequate lighting for closet

Other issues:
• guests waiting too long for staff to come to the front desk (no call button)
• handwritten wifi password (no explanation of "caps/lc-spaces-#s"); required calling front desk to decipher log in
• lack of hot water in room mid-morning
• during breakfast, empty coffee dispensers (refilled after guest requests); warming tray unplugged (contents barely warm); trash receptacle opening too small (fold styrofoam plates for disposal)
• wall unit room A/C w/ traditional control panel appears to be a working panel but it's bypassed to a wall thermostat near bathroom (needs info sticker on A/C panel)

Hotel looks inviting and is undoubtedly great at passing a franchise quality assurance audit, but for guests ... the devil's in the details!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lancing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

having arrived from England we spent three separate nights here during holiday to southern U S A, it was clean ,and comfortable. swimming pool was good
staff showed us how to use waffle iron, so enjoyed breakfast, all staff more than helpful except Pamela on morning reception.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here Friday August 31st, on our way from Dayton, OH to Charleston, SC. When I called to make my reservation - from the car, the front desk was concerned about the number of nights I required - I "forgot" about the DNC. Thankfully we only needed one night. Found the hotel with no problems, everything was decorated for the convention, was cool to see. Room was very comfortable and clean. Bed was amazingly comfortable. Also very quiet. We were able to get a good nights sleep and were on our way again very early the next morning. Bathroom had lots of extra towels which was very nice as we wanted to shower upon arriving (get the travel dust off) and again in the morning - I hate to use damp towels. We defiantly will stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrodoPearl
Kathleen, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Overall our stay was good. We were there for 3 nights and the two best things were that the bed was very comfy and there wasn't a lot of outside noise. The breakfast was good and the breakfast attendants did a good job keeping the area clean.

The negatives were that the room was larger but I wouldn't call it a suite (a big chunk of the space was in the front entrance area and was wasted space) and the air conditoner blew cold air right on the bed (wall mount next to the bed) every time it ran.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here Sept. 1st. just as the DNC crowd began to show up. Was a very nice and clean hotel. It was full of DNC workers and visitors but still quite. We have friends in the area and would stay here again. Small breakfast but suitable. Staff very polite. Our room (209) was large and comfortable, bed soft BUT not too soft.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends