“Neat Place”

Carolina Raptor Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Talk a Walk on the Wild Side at Carolina Raptor Center What will you find on your walk around the 3/4 mile Raptor Trail? Over 30 species of raptors and other birds of prey are featured on this walk on the wild side. Owls and Vultures. Hawks and Eagles. Falcons, Corvids and other species that just don't fall into any of these categories. Have you seen a Bald Eagle up close? The Raptor Trail features a nesting pair of Bald Eagles who live out back in the Eagle Aviary. Our Spectacled Owl just can't wait to tell you what she thinks about living here at CRC, but you might have to listen carefully to what she has to say - she's a shy one. Did you know that Vultures and Corvids are some of the smartest birds around. No bird brains here! Lots of human mythology surrounds both of these families of avian brainiacs. Crows have been known to drop nuts into crosswalks so that cars can crack them and then wait for the light to change and retrieve the goodies! Behind the scenes at CRC is our Raptor Hospital, where we see approximately 900 raptor patients a year (please no songbirds or possums!). If you can't make our behind the scenes tour, don't worry, the exhibit "A Day in the Life of a Raptor Hospital" will show you what goes on there - day and night.
Tampa, FL
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Neat Place”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was a very cool place and seems to be doing their best to save Birds of Prey that would of otherwise died. Nice trail walk and the birds are well kept and cared for which is nice to see. Definitely worth a visit and its also close to the Latta Plantation which is worth a trip as well.

32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Love birds love nature”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I loved it I had not been to the raptor center in over 10 years. It has expanded and has wonderful trails to view the birds. My husband and I love birds and visited the center a few times while living in Charlotte. We were impressed with the changes and had a wonderful time strolling though the center viewing the birds and reading their stories. We will visit again.

Huntersville, North Carolina
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Not a bad way to spend a few hours but won't go again”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is definitely worth a trip, but I think it's just worth one trip. I took my kids here, and they did enjoy parts of the center, but were pretty bored with most of it. If you are really interested in birds I think it would be a cool place, but my kids aren't really into birds right now so they were bored with most of what was there. It is part of the Latta Plantation, so you enter the plantation area first, then drive a ways and the raptor center is on the left. You go through the gift shop to pay (cost is reasonable) and then enter the park area. There are trails that lead you around the park/zoo and lots of birds in cages with posted information about what the type of bird is and how that one was injured, and some bird facts. They do live presentations, and we watched one. They presented two types of birds, and while I think it would be interesting to adults, my kids were very bored with this. There was a small play area that is shaped like a castle with a slide - the kids liked this part. They enjoyed being in the woods as well. Some tips would be, if you go in the summer when it is buggy, you might want some bug spray because it is almost all wooded. It would probably be a cooler activity for this reason though , if you go in the hotter months. Children 4 and under are free and you can take a stroller, but be prepared that the entire walkway is paved with rocks and there are a lot of roots and bumps along the way. I'm glad we went, it was pleasant, but I doubt I'll go another time.

Huntersville, United States
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“Great place, even worth a membership if you live close by”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

What an amazing place to go spend a couple of hours, especially with kids. Yes the birds are behind fences, but there is not many other ways, they are not worried about picture quality. Make sure to go at least once and give it a try.

Visited June 2013
Durham, North Carolina
978 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,172 helpful votes
“hard to take pictures through fence”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The birds were beautiful and I enjoyed seeing them and learning more about them. It's also wonderful they can rehabilitate injured and orphaned birds of prey. My only complaint is it was next to impossible to get a good picture of these birds. The camera would usually focus on the chain link and not the bird behind it. The only shots that came out were the ones where you could lean over the barrier far enough to zoom in through the links (or you might get lucky and have the camera focus on the bird and not the fence). As we were leaving we were told they have special days for picture taking so if your passion is taking pictures I recommend you call ahead and find out when that day is. I'll share the pictures that came out but this is only a small portion of the birds they have.

Visited September 2013