“Room for Improvement”

Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Huntersville
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stay at Courtyards for their reputation as very nice Category 3 Marriott properties.. This property is easily accessible from Interstate 77, however, the sign at the end of the entrance to the driveway was busted out and the small Courtyard sign was further into the driveway from the turn off the road. So, we passed it up. They need to improve the location of the Courtyard sign into the street entrance. Check in was easy and smooth. The reception was friendly, but she made a point to tell us that coffee in the lobby was no longer available; that Starbucks at the Café had to be purchased and that there was coffee in the room. There was no free breakfast as someone else previously reviewed about this property. Improvement could have been to give us directions to the elevator and the direction of our room once off the elevator. We had been on the road for 7 hours and were anxious for much needed rest. Improvement could be given to night staff when an overnight emergency arises like the water dripping from the ceiling onto our heads on the bed at 4 am. The night staffman requested we move to a 1st floor room from the 3rd floor. I requested a room near ours just to move to another bed and get some sleep. Improvement to the noisy vibration made from the heater in the room would help traveler's sleep. Thanks to Haley at the reception desk the next morning for clearly understanding our dilemma through the night and offered us free Starbuck's coffee for our departure trip. Haley is to be highly commended for superb customer service!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lsminpa
Ashley T, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience about the Courtyard Charlotte Lake Norman. I want to sincerely apologize for the unfortunate circumstances that you experienced during your stay with us, we clearly did not meet your--or our own--expectations. As a valued customer, our goal is aimed at providing you with exceptional customer service and I was very pleased to hear that Hali did just that. As always, we would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel further if I can be of any more assistance.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. The location is great, as it is a block from Birkdale Village shopping/dining and close to I-77 and restaurants. Bob Evans is just next door. We had a jacuzzi suite on the first floor. The front desk people were extremely friendly and helpful, especially Teresa. Although not new, the hotel looks as if it had been recently updated. The lobby was very inviting and had nice seating, large screen tv and a bistro open at certain times of the day. Our room location was very quiet on the first floor and being on the first floor, the ceilings are very high, so it gives the impression of spaciousness. For me, the bed was SOOO comfortable. The room was nicely appointed with a nice desk area and had a roomy mini fridge and coffee maker. Coffee was provided but no tea bags.
I have no complaints about this hotel except that the cleaning staff seemed anxious to get our room cleaned by 10 am. I had a Do Not Disturb sign on the door until i left the room at 10:30 am one morning. (They left a note under the door that morning when I did not leave earlier). Other than that, the stay was perfect. We will be back.

Room Tip: 1st floor has high ceilings in the room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Ashley T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you so much for great review on our hotel. All of our staff here at the Courtyard Lake Norman are dedicated to fulfill any needs that our guests may need to make for a relaxing and accommodating stay. We are so pleased that everything was to your liking during your stay and the fact that you will be back is very exciting!! Thank you so much for your positive feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed one night on our way to Florida and one night on our way back. The hotel was clean, comfortable and quiet. We were able to get a good nights sleep on both visits. The girl at the front desk was efficient, friendly and helpful.

There is a Bob Evans right next door. A Carrabba's and Outback within walking distance to the south. There is also an outdoor shopping area (Birkdale Village) within 1/2 mile that has several restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Ashley T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful response in regards to your most recent stay with us at Courtyard Lake Norman. On behalf of management and staff we would like to sincerely thank you for your business. It is a treat to hear that we were able to provide great customer service and a quite relaxing stay for you and your family. We train our staff to deliver the upmost service we can provide. Please visit us again in the future and we will continue to insure each of your stays are as rewarding as this one!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We verified we had time to go out for breakfast and return to hotel to relax before our departure. Upon return to our room with keys in hand and 90 minutes before checkout, we found housekeeping already there. The best part was the young man at the desk didnt understand what the problem was and didnt care. Dense. Other than that it is a nice hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeff K
Ashley T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

I would like to thank you for your recent visit to our hotel. We pride ourselves in delivering the up must best customer service to each of our guests. I was very disappointed to hear of the issue you experienced during your stay. This type of service is not in the norm for our property. I greatly apologize and I have spoken with my staff involved and used this situation as a traing tool moving forward. Please accept my apologies and we hope that you will re-visit our property if ever in the area again. Thank you for you feedback. Have a great New Year!

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

So, I was scared when I read the review on google maps. This is a nice older hotel. The rooms are big. The windows open wide, if you are into fresh air. The staff is young and beautiful. Hali could be a spokesmodel, Super friendly and drop dead gorgeous. Clean indoor pool and spa, nice soft double beds and the linens smelt really fresh. The only ding I will give them was for the spider web on the inside of the window room 224. This place is right off the highway, surrounded by great restaurants. Don't hesitate to book here. Hali's smile is worth staying all by itself!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Ashley T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for your recnt response on your trip to our hotel. We always love to hear positive feedback and strive to ensure each persons trip to our area is relaxing and accommodating. Thank you so much for your feedback on our staff being helpful and great. Hali will be thrilled to hear of her impression on you during your visit. Please visit our hotel again if your ever in the area!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have spend many nights here on our quick weekend away! I have always been impressed with the staff. Last night however, was very disappointing! At check in we want to just pay in cash and was told we would need to have a 250 deposit. Like I said, we have spent Many nights here and never needed a deposit. We work it out and checked in our room. After dinner we wanted to relax in the spa. We went to put our feet in only to find it cold and not all the jets were working. To top it off the hotel staff entered our room while we were sleeping without saying a word! I am hoping this was just an off night because we love spending time here!

• Stayed: October 2013
Ashley T, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent trip. I am very disappointed to here that you felt your stay was not up to quality and I sincerely apologize. I understand your frustrations with the $250.00 cash deposit required when paying cash, but it is a policy set in affect through our corporate office. I apologize for the misunderstanding and inconsistency. I hope you will visit us again, as you have in the past if your ever in the area. Thank you again for your feedback and loyalty to our property!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here for just one night. Somehow they had overbooked rooms but the girl at the counter (Theresa) explained the situation and offered me either my king that I had requested, or a nice double. Once I understood the issue (I had been driving all day and was kinda stressed out) I took her offer. She then also offered me a free appetizer (which I accepted - as I did not want to go out driving any where for dinner).
The room was TOP NOTCH. Had a balcony I enjoyed for a bit, then had dinner at the bistro with some Cabernet and hummus with Pita bread for appetizer, and then spicy BBQ flatbread to finish the meal. The only shortcoming of this hotel was the Bistro menu - it was not as up to date as the courtyard a few exits away that I stayed at 10 days earlier.
In all - I would stay here again without hesitation. Theresa made it great, the follow up emails from her and the manager to thank me made it even better ... and I got time to relax and a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: This hotel is also very close to a number of chain restaurants so if you want to head out for dinner...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Ashley T, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We would like to epically thank you for your business and being so understanding at check in. Theresa is a wonderful asset to our property and she will be thrilled to know she made your stay so pleasurable. If you should ever be in the area again, we would love for you stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntersville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntersville-Birkdale
Hampton Inn & Suites Huntersville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake Norman
Residence Inn Charlotte Lake Norman
Hampton Inn Charlotte North/Lake Norman
Comfort Suites Lake Norman - Huntersville

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Lake Norman? Share your experiences!