The hardest part about it was finding our way on the gravel road and the 11-year old fussing about what she would possibly do up there for 3 hours while waiting for the sun to set. All that evaporated once we found the small parking lot and saw what was in store. The kids (7 and 11) charged up to the summit in the lead and we settled in for our picnic around 6 p.m. I have never seen any view so breathtaking as this. Surrounded by mountains on all sides you can see for miles and miles. Sunset was great, although it does get cold up there after dark. It was fairly quiet, so we were practically alone for a little while. More people arrived as sunset neared and gathered at the summit to watch. We waited another 40 minutes or so after sundown in hope of stars, but saw only a few twinkles and decided to head out because it was quite chilly -- glad we brought our winter coats!
Tips for you:
1) We had no cell signal/GPS, so do get directions from your location and use your trip odometer to monitor miles for turns. There was no sign at all on the turn for Max Patch Mountain (we were coming from I-40/Little Creek Road), so we missed it the first time.
2) The gravel road was rough in spots -- a car can make it fine, but we were glad to have taken the Jeep.
3) It is about 10 degrees cooler on the mountain and got downright cold after sundown and this was in mid-July. By the time we left around 9:30 p.m. it was <50 degrees up there and breezy and felt colder than that somehow. If you plan to be there after dark, dress accordingly. We wished we had hats and mittens along with our winter coats.
4) Plan to go on a clear sunny day -- it would have been nice, but not nearly as impressive on a cloudy/foggy day and I don't think I'd enjoy it in the rain at all.
5) Not to be missed -- we were just in Hawaii at Volcanoes National Park a few months ago, which itself was amazing, but this view far exceeded any we saw there -- how unexpected! Our whole family loved it and will definitely go back!
p.s. No bathroom facilities (of course), so plan accordingly.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.