“Not Happy”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hot Springs
Hot Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hot Springs
North Carolina
“Not Happy”
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We arrived a little early as suggested, and just sat and waited. Evidently the place is managed by teenagers, there were no adults in sight! Customer service was lacking to say the least! Water was somewhat warm but the setting was very much unlike what I expected, not like the website describes. Hot tubs are lined up in a row very much like bath houses separated only by a fence. At the time of the reservation, I specifically asked if the particular hot tub was secluded and was told, "Yes". There was a horrible smell of urine and who knows who was watching us change clothes across the creek! When our time was up, the hot tub jets cut off, and it began to drain immediately. As soon as it drained, it began filling up again without anyone cleaning it!!!

• Disliked — customer service, cleaniness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank pamela1962

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hutchinson, Kansas
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We did not stay at the resort, but we did visit for the hot tubs and massages while staying in nearby Asheville. We had a 2-person tub for an hour. The tub was ready when we got there (early) and it seemed clean and prepared. The water was hot. I have been in hotter hot tubs, but they are usually uncomfortable after a while. I would say this water was perfect for soaking in for an hour, and I did have to cool off a few times. The setting is romantic and quaint. There is a privacy fence and canopy for each hot tub, which made it feel very private (though be careful, fishermen in the creek may be able to see you...). It was serene and relaxing and just what we were looking for. If I were to offer any improvements it would be to have some cold water and snacks for sale on site - but you can bring your own - we saw others will entire coolers of refreshments. I would also suggest they pay a little more attention to cleaning some of the spider webs and dirt from the canopy, but really, they did not bother us at all. As for the MASSAGES, we had Gabriel and Shiana (sp?) for deep tissue massages for 90 mins. My husband and I both felt these were the BEST massages we have ever had. Really. I've had massages in Chicago, DC, Dubai, and other places and this little town in North Carolina really took the prize. One thing to know before you go, it's not a spa like one of those ritzy city spas - no aromatherapy, dimmed lights, and vases full of freshly cut flowers. This is more of a real massage therapy setting, in fact, I wish the sunlight had been a bit more diffused in my room, but really the massage was SO good, it didn't matter. He did have soothing music and lavender scented oil, so once my eyes were closed, it was all the same. Truly recommend stopping by Hot Springs for this treat if you are near the area. We combined the tub and massages in the afternoon with a rafting trip in the morning and it worked out perfectly.

• Stayed July 2008
2 Thank annchgo
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed May 19, 2008

We visited the Spa again after a year, and things were alot different. They added another building to check in at, and made the whole process smoother. There is also a gift shop now.
We always get Tub #5, it is very private. They call it a "Deluxe tub" but I wouldn't recommend any more the 4 adults in it, otherwise it would be too crowded. With just my wife and I, it was very nice.
I read the othewr reviews here where people were disappointed and didn't understand why. Ok, so maybe the water isn't really super hot, but I found it to be a comfortable tempature, nice, hot and relaxing.
We went at night. There were 2 areas where they had a fire pit going and the one closest to where they take you to your tub had some park benches to sit on. The staff was super friendly. We spoke with a couple of fresh outta high school guys working there and they were nice enough to answer all kinds of questions about the area.
My only complaint is price. I am kind of a cheapskate, and $40 for a hour of soaking in a mineral bath is a little high in my opinion. It's almost worth it, but I would be much happier if it was cheaper by $10.
All and all, I will say that a Trip to Hot Spings, NC isn't complete without a soak in the famous hot water.

• Liked — The Nice Hot Water
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ratchet_of_Knoxville
Arkansas
Reviewed April 28, 2008

I recently visited the Hot Springs Spa after reading about it on their website. I was looking forward to sitting in a private outdoor hot tub filled with "healing hot springs mineral waters, 100-104 degrees". I was given the smallest hot tub since I was alone - they said it was a 2-person hot tub. Well, I could not even completely stretch out in it. While I enjoyed the outdoor, wooded setting along a creek, I was totally disappointed in the barely warm water. It honestly seemed like regular tap water that had not been fully heated to anywhere near 100 degrees. It almost felt lukewarm. I was very, very disappointed.
Senior citizen from Arkansas.

• Disliked — hot tub was barely warm
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank lktark
greeneville, tn
Reviewed April 30, 2007

well let me start off by saying the piture we had was not the same in person at all it was my cousin's birthday and all we heard from different people was how beatuiful hot springs is and that we need to check it out so we did it was the first weekend in april we where very unhappy when we arrive there it was cold outside the water wasn't hot enough then when we got out we had to walk a muddy trial just to get the bathroom no one was friendly at all so no i don't recommend any one to go to hot springs at all it was a group of 5 ladies that came just for my cousin's birthday and we where all disspointed when we got there but more disspointed when we left but as soon as i get my pictures developed i will be glad to post them so everyone can see for thereselves

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank yellowbone
Boone, NC
Reviewed October 31, 2006

Hot Springs Resort & Spa has a variety of accommodations:

1. Campsites: Choose one on the river, far from the road, if possible. The campsites aren't secluded, but there are plenty of trees, and the sound of the rushing water gives you a sense of privacy. Prices range from $20-$30/night.

2. Camp cabins: these are in the campground. Very small and rustic. Some are just 4 walls, a bed and a porch (Basically a way to camp without setting up a tent). Some have a small mini-bath included (sink & commode). Very basic, but nice for camping. Prices range from $45-$70/night.

3. Suites: There's a new building located across the street from the campground. There are 4 suites available (all include bedroom, living room, bathroom, kitchenette, and the best feature: a hot tub with water piped directly from the springs. No need to visit the public hot tubs across the street). Prices range from $150-$200/night.

4. Secluded Log Cabin Suite (called Log Cabin #10): This is where we stayed. It's located in a different part of town from the campground. You drive through a residential area, across the railroad tracks, down a dirt road and find your cabin in a secluded clearing, with no other lodging nearby. Very private (which is what we were looking for). It's a small cabin: kitchenette, tiny bathroom, small living room, loft bedroom with angled ceilings around a full-size bed. Our favorite feature was the large hot tub on the porch, piped directly from the hot springs. We used it many times. That combined with the privacy/seclusion made this rental perfect for us. However, it's NOT luxurious accommodations (if you want luxury - stay at the Mountain Magnolia Inn). But the cabin was comfortable and had everything we needed. Priced: $145/night.

Other Notes: Hot Springs is a small town that caters mostly to hikers and rafters. (It's located on the Appalachian Trail & the French Broad River). There's very little luxury here. It's a low-key, mellow place. Surrounded by mountains, it's absolutely beautiful. The Hot Springs themselves are actually piped into individual tubs that you rent by the hour (if you aren't renting lodging that has its own personal hot tub fed by the springs). Although the public hot tubs can seem a little tacky at first, each has a privacy fence and faces the river. Once you're in the tub, it's a very relaxing location. It also helps to know that the temperature of the water is bathwater warm, rather than super-hot. Again, it's very relaxing, but different than you may have experienced in other states. For dining, if you have some extra money to spend, I highly recommend eating dinner one night at the Mountain Magnolia Inn. Some of the best food we've ever eaten. Dinner for two averages around $80, including tip.

Stayed October 2006
7 Thank Mountainsssss
north carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2006

I spent a day at Hot Springs Spa recently. We paid in one building and then was directed to a fairly primitive bath house like stucture. We spent an hour in a hot tub. The hot tub was in a wooden gazebo by the river and appeared to be just a regular hot tub with regular water, nothing special. Very hot and somewhat uncomfortable (it was 90 degrees and very humid that day). Next we were taken to trailers for our massages. Natalie did a great massage and the price was reasonable. Next we checked in to our camping cabin. It was tiny. It had a full size bed with a twin bed above. There was also a full size bed in the loft above. There was a small bathroom area with a toilet and sink. Showers were a short walk away. There was a tiny table and a coffee pot. We enjoyed sitting on the little deck looking out at the river. It was a very quiet family oriented campground.

Stayed June 2006
Crowne Plaza  Resort Asheville
The Omni Grove Park Inn
The Omni Grove Park Inn
#12 of 66 in Asheville

Been to Hot Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!