“Best relaxation spot in NC” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hot Springs Resort and Spa

Hot Springs Resort and Spa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Best relaxation spot in NC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

First, some advice. When booking, I recommend a creek-side tub, around sunset or a little after. I find the babbling creek to be very nice.

When you arrive, you check in at the front desk, and then are directed to one of the campfire areas where you wait for your tub to be ready. The waiting is okay... there are campfires and benches for you to sit on. The only thing is, the staff is very simplistic and mechanical. They do their job by cleaning the tubs, letting you know when one is ready, and letting you know when to get out, but they don't seem happy to see customers. Don't get me wrong, they are still attentive to guests, but they're not likely to treat you like you might expect to be treated in a spa/resort.

Once you get guided to your private tub though, none of that matters, which is why I'm still giving 4 stars. The tubs are large, kept very clean and the water feels so refreshing and pure that you come out feeling like a new person. An hour is enough, but I gotta say the one time we did two hours, it was twice as nice. I recommend bringing along a bottle of wine to sip on and truly let go.

When I tell others about this place, I find people tend to respond with somewhat nervous questions like... "is it reallllly private?"... or "what if I didn't pack a swimsuit?". I'll address this. Yes, it's really private. You have 3 full walls and a ceiling. The 4th side is open only to the forest. The tubs are far enough apart that you're not going to hear other groups or be heard. As for swimsuits, they're not required, and it's completely up to you and what you're comfortable with. The point is to relax after all. When your time is almost up, the staff will come and knock on the wall to let you know to get ready to come out.

Hot Springs is a little out of the way, but well-worth the trip. I also recommend the restaurant across the street (Iron Horse Station Restaurant).

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Andrew R

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“must do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

we had our bottle of wine and enjoyed the view of the river as we soaked in the mineral water in the hot tubs for an hour. very picturesque. the staff were very pleasant. very clean. perfect as couples or friends just to get away from it all!

Visited March 2014
Knoxville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Smoking room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

Walked into our room and was blasted with cheap air freshener. There was an air purifyer running, which was odd. Well, we quickly left and spent the afternoon/evening in town, super awesome people and restaurants. We came back to have our hot spring water bath and sleep.

The air freshener had worn out at this point and the smell of cigaretts was noticable, but ignorable. We watched a movie in the living room before going to bed. Well the hot steam really brought out the smoke smell and my wife and I tossed and turned the whole night.

Checking out the next morning I told the lady at the desk about this issue. She apologized and said she'd tell management. Maybe she did, maybe she forgot, but no one has emailed me or my wife. Gross. I expect more than that.There are rooms above the Ironhorse Station, super cool restaurant. Stay there.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank D R
Greeneville, Tennessee
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“I was not Impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I recently went for a soak in Hot Springs. I had never been and thought it would be fun. I probably wouldn't go back. You sit in hot tubs with a wall on 3 sides. My wife and I paid for an hour. When our time was up we got out and changed back into our street clothes while still at the tub. During this time, the tub drained completely and then started filling up again. Nobody came in to clean the tub and it was over half full when we finally left. It makes me wonder it anyone cleans them as I thought someone cleaned them after every use. I was wrong.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank boaty33
Orlando, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Disappointing Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We were staying at a very nice cabin in Hot Springs and made 2 separate 90 minute massage appointments. My massage therapist talked to me the whole time and told me about her life and she also inquired about my life during this very unrelaxing massage. The rooms were also very cold and with a clinical appearance. We found private massage therapists in the area and treated ourselves to a wonderful massage experience from this therapist. I would go elsewhere if you can.

Visited April 2013