“Your in Hot Springs, you have to go”

Hot Springs Resort and Spa
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have been here a few times. It is best shared in the evening with a romantic partner. Bring of wine and enjoy. One should know it is water from the hot springs pumped into a hot tub so more or less think of it as renting a hot tub.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"two hours"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Loved the location and the summer camp vibe of the hot springs hot tubs next to the river. Six friends enjoyed the camaraderie and the casual atmosphere. However the spa experience we would skip. The masseuses and treatments were fine but the prices were more appropriate to upscale surroundings, not this prefab building. It is clear that the booking process on line needs improvement. The waiting area would be fine for a busy rural medical clinic but not for setting the scene for relaxation and pampering. Note to the owners, given the location it is a missed opportunity.

3  Thank Z3tz
Reviewed September 17, 2013

What a pleasant surprise to find hot springs mineral spas in such a peaceful mountain town. Secluded and private, we enjoyed a lovely hour relaxing in hot mineral water provided by Hot Springs Resort with a pleasant view facing the French Broad River. Hot Springs is a peaceful mountain town with plenty of attractions to enjoy at a snail's pace during comfortable late summer weather. A bonus is the scenic roads to and from this little gem of a town. Next time we will make an appointment for a wonderful spa treatment along with a blissful soak in the mineral water.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just returned from a fun-filled weekend in Hot Springs,NC. We have a small camper & stayed at the HS Resort & Spa campground. Had a gorgeous site right on the river. Campground staff were friendly and in frequent view. There aren't very many bathrooms for such a large campground but we never had a wait. We had river access directly behind our campsite, which was both fun & soothing with the sound of rushing water. Took our dogs & they loved it too! Great family atmosphere.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I called Hot Springs Resort and Spa to reserve a hot tub when I was about two hours south of town on the Appalachian Trial (yes, cell service is available with Verizon). Tubs are available along a creek or on the river. The next creek-side tube available was 6:15 p.m., #17, so I made the reservation. I had performed a recon the day before and was told otters and bald eagles had been spotted on the creek-side. Also if you want to hear the babbling sound of water, creek-side is where you want to be.

I arrived at 5:50, checked in, and was given a receipt to take to the attendants escorting guests to the tubs. I gave the attendant my receipt and was told someone would check to see if tube 17 was ready. At about 6:14, another attendant asked what tub I was waiting on. and I said 17. He asked if I had an appointment for 7:15, and I said no. The attendant said, “We just put someone in that tube. Can you wait until 7:15.” I said, “Come on guys, don’t to this to me, I’m under a time crunch.” I had a four hour drive back home. I said, “I have a reservation for tube 17 at 6:15.” Then the kids (attendants) started running around trying to find out what happened. Finally, I was told someone made a mistake and put people in #17 instead of #3. I was offered #3 on river-side. I said I specifically made my reservation for creek-side. I was given the option of going back to the front desk or checking out tube 3; I chose to check #3. When we got to 3, the attendant said the spas were the same except for the view and sound. Because I wanted the full “Hot Springs AT experience,” I decided to soak in #3. Now, it was 6:30, but the attendant said he would extend my time to 7:30. While I was changing clothes, I looked up and saw a truck coming down the road on the other side of the river. GREAT, tube 3 has a view of the highway.

The soak was nice, and I was able to work a few kinks out of my muscles, but the water was not very hot. The facility touts the mineral water and does not guarantee all of the jets in each tube work, the pressure of the jets, or the temperature of the water. All but one of the jets in 3 worked. I ended my soak early (had to get on the road). The tub, area, and facility were extremely clean. Fires were burning in the outdoor fire pits and guests were sitting around relaxing.

I requested a partial refund at the front desk and was given a full refund. I had waited two extra hours in town for a creek-side tube; I left highly disappointed. One of the locals told me the spa was cursed by the Cherokee because at least three facilities build on site had burned; maybe I got some of that bad mojo.

Note to management, you may want to look into another method of keeping track of reservations near the tubes. While I was sitting waiting on a tube, all the receipts blew off the attendants clip board, twice. My receipt was never lost, so that could not be the excuse. Also, switching reservations from #3 to #17 was deliberate. The view, ambiance, and distance between #3 and #17 are far apart.

When I do the section of the AT north of Hot Springs, I may try the spa and reservation system again.

3  Thank Ed0379