“a tradition in the making”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Last year, my husband and I drove up to enjoy the changing leaves and explore the Hot Springs/Asheville area. We loved the Mountain Magnolia Inn SO MUCH that we went back this year, and brought along two of our friends. The views are unmatched; the food is truly fantastic; and the service is warm, attentive, and memorable. The affection we have for this place just grows deeper and deeper.
Take Hwy 70 during daylight on at least one leg of your trip: the road is windy, and it's a bit a slower, but the views along the French Broad are so worth it.
Hike around Hot Springs up to Lovers' Leap -- we got to experience all four seasons (incl a bit of hail!) in the span of a 3-hour hike. Pete from the MMI very helpfully drew us a map that helped us make the most of the journey.
Love this place so very much.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bird's Nest in 2012, and found its facilities (like a gas fireplace) to be a bi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

The ultimate compliment - a tradition.

Thanks

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We've stayed at the Mountain Magnolia Inn several times in recent years, and every time has been a delight. The property is historic and comfortable. The breakfasts are excellent, and the dinners - on the nights they are served - are exceptional. Great food, excellent service. The owners of the Mountain Magnolia Inn have really developed a fabulous property and customer experience in the middle of a great little mountain town.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thanks for the great review. Our team at the Mag do a fantastic job and I believe are the major factor in creating a great guest experience. I'll share your feedback with them.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Are you staying in Hot Springs for a few days? Then stay at Mountain Magnolia Inn. Walking distance to town. The yard is beautiful and overlooks the mountains in the distance.

We did not eat supper here so can not vouch for it. We spent two nights and had breakfast each morning. The breakfast was exactly what I expect at a B&B. Buffett style but very good.

The Rose room was pretty and had a deck to set on. A nice Saturday morning just looking out over the grounds.

The staff was friendly. Pete was really nice..

The thing about a B&B is that I go expecting that things are a bit more laid back and the staff may not "jump" at every little request. We are not in NY city, so I do not expect NY city "snap my finger and there is some there to hold the door" type service. I say this for I think some people who read & write these posts for get that a B&B in the middle of the mountains is not about hustle and bustle but instead about relaxing and just forgetting about work and all that other stuff.

Once you are in the right mind set then you become part of the surroundings and are truly able to enjoy the moment.

Pricey? A bit, but then again this is not Motel 6. So since this is not what I do every weekend then it is a nice pleasant spurge for my wife and I. Will we do it again? Sure, for there will be a special occasion or just a need to get away.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thanks for the nice review. It does take a while to get into the slower pace of a small mountain town. But once you do, things feel different. I find a trip to Gentry Hardware a 2 minute walk away from the inn helps.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had high hopes for this restaurant, based on the reviews. The service was wonderful, and the staff was very accommodating and friendly. The building is lovely and full of historical charm. However, the food was not what I was expecting based on the phenomenal reviews - or the prices.

The salmon I ordered was mostly overcooked. Maybe too close to the heat? Maybe someone forgot to keep an eye on it? Only about 1/4 of the portion was cooked just right. If you've ever choked down dry, overcooked salmon, you'll understand why it was not an enjoyable meal. The rice and vegetable side it was served over was quite tasty. For $28 though, I expected a perfectly prepared dish - all the way through. The mushroom consomme was very "homey" - the broth reminded me of my grandmother's homemade soup. Dessert, the creme brulee, was absolutely delicious - as was the coffee (a small detail, but an important one).

Would I return? Not likely. I will gladly pay more for a great meal. I do, however, balk when the food doesn't live up to the hype - or the bill. We would have been happier just getting dessert.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Sorry you had less than an exceptional experience. Salmon is one food that needs to be perfectly cooked to be it's best - sounds like we took our eye of the balls so to speak. Aside from the salmon, I'm glad you otherwise had an enjoyable dinner and that the service was good and rest of your meal was good.

Pete Nagle

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel in a lovely building full of character and charm. Its situated just on the edge of Hot Springs, and a short walk takes you to the middle of the town, which has several bars and restaurants for such a small place.
Our room was huge, beautifully furnished with with a small balcony, overlooking the garden. Breakfast was home cooked, and absolutely delicious. The owners and staff were friendly and helpful, We would highly recommend staying at the Magnolia.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Woodsy1878
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thanks for the great review. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Pete was incredibly hospitable!! The main Inn is beautiful and their property by the river was amazing. I would definitely stay there again. Great for a family or a romantic get-away. The breakfast is included and is all "Home Made Cookin". The Strawberry Pancakes were amazing!!

Room Tip: The Birds Nest has an amazing view of the river from both the living room and family room windows al...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
pete1nagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Cute title. Great review. Thanks!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Mountain Magnolia Inn was the venue for our daughter's wedding August 3, 2013. It was a beautiful setting. The wedding was small but everyone who attended was impressed and enjoyed the surroundings. The staff was helpful and the rooms were very comfortable. My husband and I along with our son's family stayed in the The Garden House which was great because it was close to the Inn and nice and big. Enjoyed the great food served at breakfast.
The Staff, Wedding Coordinator, the Bakery, the Florist, and the Photographer provided everything that my daughter had requested. This takes pressure from everyone since you
are communicating through e-mails. Could not have ask for a more cooperative group of vendors. I hope to return and enjoy the Inn during the Spring or Fall sometime. Helen Nichols

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Helen N
pete1nagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

I am so pleased to hear you are so happy with your wedding experience at the Inn. When you said our team had , " unmatched kindness, professionalism, hospitality, and service..." you made my day. I will share this with our entire staff and I know they will appreciate your kind words.

Pete Nagle

Been to Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant? Share your experiences!