“Tried it twice...no third try happening”
Review of The Homestead - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Homestead
Cuisines: American
Phoenix, Arizona
“Tried it twice...no third try happening”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Not a single item we ordered was special or even above average in any way. Service was OK, but otherwise, for what is advertised as a chef-operated place was disappointing.

Visited June 2013

Burlington, North Carolina
“Overpriced but good”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am sure this food prides itself on being the nicest in the area but the food is average and the prices ridiculous. The ribeye was thin and overcooked. We were given 2 cheddar and chive biscuits that were so tiny we could barely taste. The bite we had was good. I do have to say the tomato pie was the best I've ever even. If they are going to charge these prices, they need to serve a plate of those biscuits, larger servings, and at least fresh ground pepper or salads (nope not a dinner salad to be had).

Visited May 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had wanted to try this restaurant for some time since I recently moved to this area. I went in for dinner with my family and we were the only people. This was my first concern. Then our server greated us and passed out the menus. I was shocked at the prices, expensive. I thought for a restaurant that looked like a place the locals go the prices would be cheaper. Once we got our food I was disappointed in every dish on our table. Mine and another family members food was burnt and the other family members food was swimming in sauce that wasn't even the correct sauce for the dish. Our server was friendly and polite, but the place has an identity crises. The decore is down home with fine dining prices and calming coffe house music!

Much to my regret we will not be dining there again. I think the owners need help from Gordon Ramsey!

• Visited April 2013
Horse Shoe, North Carolina
“Driven By It Many Times, Glad We Tried It”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

A new name, a new chef, a rustic restaurant in Horse Shoe, North Carolina. It was on a whim that we stopped to see if anything positive had changed with the turnover of this restaurant. What used to be an "almost everything fried" menu had now transitioned to fresher food, unique preparations with a southern flair. "Mrs. Paul's Fishsticks" no longer belonged on the menu. They were replaced with crab cakes that were full of fresh crab and light on the breadcrumbs; shrimp & grits that made you wonder if you were dining in Charleston, fresh salads and sides. Service was very good. There is a separate wine bar area that we noticed when we were leaving. We will check out Sunday Brunch next time. Looking forward to more southern-style meals at The Homestead in Horse Shoe - a restaurant we hope stays around for awhile.

• Visited March 2013
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Okay if you don't mind waiting over 75 minutes for your food at lunch.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Unbelievable is the only word to describe my experience at The Homestead restaurant! We arrived at the restaurant at 1:00. Our group of 10 was seated quickly and received our beverages in a timely manner. it was downhill from then. We flagged down the server several times asking her to take our orders. She said something about they were changing chefs. So we waited and waited. After about 20 minutes our order was taken. Several of the items people wanted were no longer available. Once again we waited and waited. Once again we had to flag down the server. The place was not crowded either. Finally 75 minutes after we arrived we received our food. I had the wrap special which was salmon. Somehow a piece of sausage entered into it. The scalloped sweet potatoes was excellent! We were not compensated in any manner for the poor management nor even received a "sorry". A complimentary dessert or beverage may have changed our opinion. To top it off an automatic 20% gratuity was added to our bill. For what? Poor service and a condescending server? Two words: NEVER AGAIN! Sad because service doesn't cost anything!

• Visited March 2013