“Not my favorite”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Nice restaurant with good service and a nice menu - but I didn't really hit on an item that I enjoyed. I might go back and try something else.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am really conflicted writing this review because I ALWAYS enjoy hanging out at Castaways, and I really want the food to be good, but the truth is the food just isn't, and its way overpriced for the quality (or rather lack thereof) that you get. Castaways is an awesome place to hang out. Plenty of TV's to watch the games, friendly employees, good drink selection, frequent live music, funky cool beach decor and recently expanded outside seating providing great views of the Atlantic Ocean. Castaways has all the ingredients for an incredibly fun afternoon and/or night on the island, just don't ruin your fun by eating there. (Note: If you're really hungry and have to eat something, the ONLY thing I can recommend in good conscience is the oyster stew. It could use some extra oysters, but it is pretty tasty.) Since opening at HB, Castaways has done A LOT of things right, but it BADLY needs to overhaul its menu and upgrade the product coming out of the kitchen.

1  Thank Jacob92
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I had seafood Mac and cheese. It was really good with crab and shrimp. We had a great dinner that was relaxing and yummy. Then we went upstairs to the roof bar and had an even better time overlooking the ocean and met new friends. It was our last night and couldn't have asked for anything better

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Castaway's on Friday evening, August 23rd, 2013. This is at end of the busy vacation season In NC. We were seated promptly when we arrived but the place filled up fast. If we had waited until 7:30pm we would had a wait. We were told "the Crab Dip is great" so we ordered it for our appetizer along with our drinks. The drinks arrived in a timely so we ordered our meal thinking the appetizer would arrive shortly. I ordered the Shrimp and Grits, my wife ordered the Chicken Alfredo. At $17.00 for Shrimp and Grits you would think you would get a salad or a bowl of soup to go with it...NOPE. "That's extra", our wait staff told me. After a short wait of about 10 minutes our crab dip arrived. It arrived looking like an over baked mud pie surrounded by Pita Bread wedges. I assume the crap is locally caught. The other ingredients are creamed cheese and a mystery spice my wife says is "Old Bay Seafood Spice". What ever it was overpowered the taste of the crab. About halfway thru our appetizer our entree's arrived. The portions are large, not huge, large. They arrived hot. My wife liked her Chicken Alfredo, it was very rich and cheesy. My Shrimp and Grits was good but NOT the best I have ever had. To me the shrimp seemed a little under cooked. In the grits, along with the shrimp, are ham, green onions, and shallots. For me, the onion/shallot combination was a little over powering...but for the most part it was good. Our bill came to just under $50.00, way too much for what we ate. I know it was the location and all but for $50 I expect quality not quantity...and maybe a house salad!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The good news was that it was a beautiful night with a full moon and we enjoyed the entertainment. The bad news: the tacos! The Buffalo chicken tacos were, in a word, gross! The meat was some kind of luncheon meat with the hot sauce poured over it. The shrimp tacos had three small boiled shrimp and again with the sauce poured on top. The chips that came with the salsa were good, although it advertised mango and we didn't notice this taste. We enjoyed the entertainment. So, as I said, enjoy the view and the music, skip the food!

1  Thank terriruthss