“Art to Eat”

Dining options: Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Art to Eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

These chocolates are gorgeous. They really are almost too pretty to eat. Not that I let that stop me. They are so tasty. I've traveled a lot in Europe in places that are known for their chocolates. But, Matthews chocolate is better than what I have found there. Be sure to try some of the more unusual varieties - like pop rock Buddhas, little chocolate Buddhas filled with pop rocks or some of the chocolates flavored with pepper.

• Visited July 2014

Chapel Hill, NC
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I used to really enjoy the macarons at Matthews. They were worth the trip from out of town. That is, until the last visit. There were only a few of a single flavor left. I asked how often they baked and was told "every day, even on Sundays and Mondays" (when they are closed). Since it was early Tues afternoon, I asked if the day's delivery was still to come. Response -- no, it would be the next day. I said I had come from out of town and would not be there on Wednesday. Response -- no problem. Like I was apologizing for not being able to buy the product. Not, gee, I'm really sorry you came from out of town and we don't have the goods we committed to having. So because I really liked (note the tense of the verb) their macarons, I bought some of the one flavor they did have. That evening I served them for dessert, and they were stale! Not slightly stale. Throw them away stale. Given the indifferent reception I had received, I figured it wasn't worth going back to Hillsborough to complain. BUT -- it will never again be worth going to Hillsborough to buy something from them, or even crossing the street if I am in town. I am so disappointed, and I generally give a place a second chance, but the entire experience was so negative, that I figure one strike and you're out. Not to mention that the macarons are really expensive at $2.00 apiece. Cheaper at the famous La Durée in Paris.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank mangervoyager
Noblesville, Indiana
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Lovers of all things chocolate will love this place! Not your typical store brand stuff, it is for a more refined palette. A real treat for sure!

Visited May 2013