“Consistently Good”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Consistently Good”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I have been eating at and taking guests to Saratoga Grill for years and years. We've probably consistently averaged dining here once every couple of months or so for 10-15 years. The menu doesn't change a lot, but neither does the quality. I'm not sure I could pin down just what the cuisine is, but they do seafood well (my wife's favorite is the almond encrusted salmon), and beef, and salads (I love the strawberry vinaigrette). Quaint atmosphere (upstairs in an historic building in downtown Hillsborough), floors creak, can be drafty around the windows, but it's a good view if you can get one of the window tables. They often have a special deal before 6:30 pm--smaller portions but easily adequate if you're not hungry. My only complaint, being a Southerner, is that they don't serve sweetened ice tea. At least in the heart of the South they could offer a liquid sweetener.

Not a big space, call in advance on busy weekends. Did I mention great desserts? Yeah, and good coffee, and scones.

• Visited October 2012

“Best Kept Secret”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great Dining Experience! Old time charm in historical downtown Hillsborough. Try the Hot Crab Dip, broiled Seafood combo platter, nice bottle of wine, DON'T BRING YOUNG CHILDREN - It's not for them.

• Visited May 2012
Durham, North Carolina
“Pleasant luncheons, small-town charm”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My colleagues and I keep returning to Saratoga Grill for pleasant lunch get togethers on the courthouse square. Our favorite dishes are the Honey Almond Salmon and the Mixed Seafood platter. They also serve a variety of sandwiches and daily specials. And we like to order a couple of their scrumptious desserts to share. Today the Chocolate Raspberry Tart was my favorite. The staff is always accommodating to our group of 6 to 10. We'll definitely be back. Be sure to make reservations as Saratoga Grill is full at lunch.

1 Thank Karen B
Raleigh, NC
“My favorite restaurant in the Triangle area”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been to Saratoga Grill more than any restaurant in the Triangle area. It's my go-to restaurant when I want a nice lunch or dinner in a nice atmosphere. We frequently take out-of-town guests there. The food is consistently excellent; I've never had even a mediocre meal. The service is attentive (but not overly) and fast. The early dinner special is a great deal - the choices are varied and the portions are more than adequate unless you have a huge appetite. I always look forward to the scones. The desserts are outstanding too.

• Visited September 2012
Roxboro, North Carolina
“Unfortunately, a disappointment”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had high hopes based on the reviews, but left disappointed. I have heard positive things about this place for years, so we finally gave it a try. Unfortunately, nothing really stood out. I ordered a crab cake for an appetizer, which had good flavor but was cold in the center. My wife's clam chowder was good. We each tried the nightly special. I had Beef Wellington which I ordered medium rare and it was medium/medium well. The flavor was OK, but nothing to write home about. My wife had blackened halibut, which was really spicy but good. The best thing I had was the little biscuits they give you before hand. No problems with the service or prices. I will give it another try sometime...maybe I just caught them on an off night, but I was disappointed on this night.

• Visited September 2012