“Wonderful place to stay”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hillsborough
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hillsborough
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel was clean and the front desk guy was pleasant and fun to talk with. The breakfast was ok, not great, bu sufficent especially since it was free.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 2, 2011

I am a travel agent for over 35 years, booked my room on line directly with Mictotel for 2 queen non smoking PET FRIENDLY room, held with my visa card. This was my third stay at this place arrived after a 10 1/2 hour drive in early evening and from the beginning TONY TAPP starts raising his voice at me asking how I booked the room and that it didn't say I had a pet friendly room.......acted as if he was doing me a FAVOR putting me in a room that was a total dump.....filthy ripped carpet, no clock, a/c barely worked, and pretty sure there were some bugs in the bed!! Next day asked to be moved and showed the person on duty my printed confirmation. On my arrival second evening there was a note on my door to come to front counter, TONY TAPP agains begins to YELL at me in front of other patrons and tells me I shouldn't have talked to his person that moring....ripped me a new one......next moring I went down to get the name of TONY TAPP's boss and after getting many lies they kicked me out since they didn't have any DOG FRIENDLY rooms!!
Guess a reservation means a lot......other people were having problems there also so it just wasn't me.........do yourself a favor, go down the road on sleep in your car at a rest stop.....I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED SO BADLY!! I had dealt with TONT TAPP the (assistant manager) in my earlier stays and was completely shocked by his attitude this time.......something is very wrong there and the place just keeps getting more and more run down.......now a letter to Wyhndam and Microtel and the HEALTH DEPARTMENT!!

Room Tip: TIP is there are NO best rooms!! D U M P
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank foodpig
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I can't rave enough about the location of this hotel if you want to see things in Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh. This is a great place to stay and be close to everything. It is right off I-85, but you are only 1.6 miles from I-40 too. We loved the little town of Hillsborough and the staff was very helpful with any questions we had to ask. We had the suite and it had plenty of room. The layout was a little strange and this is an older MIS, but it is a great deal for the price.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

With the scare of bedbugs, we were a bit apprehensive staying at a motel, even though we usually stay at MI&SH when visiting our family. The suite we had was clean, (the bed linens are washed on site with the maid workers close by when any need for extra linens), had ample room, and was sufficiently quiet, although we did hear some rowdy occupants for a short duration. Tony, Matt, Darin and the other front desk managers were courteous, helpful - providing info on restaurants, nearby churches, and local color. Breakfast (gratis with the motel stay) is more than adequate with a variety to suit any family or individual.

Room Tip: Book early; this Inn is at the I-85 intersection
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Spent one night at this Microtel. Drove in from Charlotte after a loooooong day at work, checked in around 8:00 pm and was up and out on my way to an interview by 7:15 am. The room served it's purpose. The property is fairly clean on the outside. The inside...well...it could use a little sprucing up. Hallways are a bit dark and dingy and the lighting in the room itself is horrible. However, the bathroom was clean as were the bed linens. Carpet and furnishings had some mystery stains. Didn't sleep much but I'm not sure if that was due to the bed being hard or nerves for my interview/test the following day. Probably a bit of both, but I didn't book the room for luxury or with the intention of sleeping in. Good value for a brief stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Stayed here on a Friday night. There were a few unrully guest wihich mgmt promptly took care of. Front desk was freindly and helpful. Room was a little outdated and worn but it was clean as for what they had to work with. They had free wifi and breakfast. all for under fifty dollars including tax.
Its not the ritz but for the money its a good value. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I stayed in a standard double room for one night and overall the hotel is adequate but has a few annoyances that detract from the experience.

The hotel is right off I-85 but far enough so that both sides of the hotel should not hear the road noise. There is a railroad in the proximity, although not too busy. There are a handful of fast-food and one sit-down restaurant in the vicinity all walkable with caution, and there's a Food Lion right up the street for those wishing to make use of the microwave/fridge in the rooms. It's a 5-min drive to Hillsborough and about 15-20min from UNC-CH (the lodging tax is lower than Durham Co.).

The rooms are clean and of modest size. One of the mattresses was sagging on one side, and the HVAC units can be a bit noisy. I couldn't find a TV channel listing and overall the hallways and rooms could use a bit of a freshening- at least make the hallway lighting match! The bathroom is likewise small but clean. The wireless internet worked well. Management doesn't keep many extra blankets on reserve, so that was a bit disappointing.

The breakfast is so-so; there is a waffle machine, cereal, and some microwave sandwiches available, but folks looking for a more substantial breakfast should walk on down to the adjacent Hardee's or Waffle House. Overall the hotel works for a one or two-night stay and for those on a budget, but small annoyances took away from the experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsborough
La Quinta Inn & Suites University Area Chapel Hill
Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park
Quality Inn Chapel Hill
Quality Inn Chapel Hill
#13 of 18 in Chapel Hill
SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Holiday Inn Express Durham
Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hillsborough? Share your experiences!