“Yum, yum, yum!!!”

RTP, NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum, yum, yum!!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've been to Antonia's many times, for lunch, dinner & for Sunday brunch. Each visit has been a delight! The fact that they use as much produce and meat from local vendors as they can find makes them a vital part of the community. The food, service & atmosphere has always been outstanding. If you go for lunch, try their "Virginian." Best sandwich I have ever had!

• Visited September 2013

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“Prepare for the scene and cuisine, and you'll leave happy”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Numerous positive reviews led I and my family to this corner eatery in the heart of historic downtown Hillsborough. The menu is distinctly northern Italian, a fact you should know before traveling there expecting pizza and marinara sauces. We did, thankfully, and left quite satisfied. I had the cheese tortellini special, with porcini mushrooms and caramelized onions. It was quite good. My wife and son had a couple of pasta dishes they enjoyed, both half-servings. Indeed, many of the pasta selections are offered in half portions, a smart choice since the full portions are sizable and the cost-savings allow you to enjoy an appetizer (we had the antipasto) or, even, better, dessert. Per our young waiter (who was pleasant and attentive), they make everything in-house except the cannelloni shells, which are purchased at a local bakery. That includes all the desserts; I had the tiramusu, which was excellent. My wife and son (and eventually me) had the creme brulee, and it was honestly one of the best I've ever tasted. The setting is quite spartan, and some tables feel a bit crowded together in the small dining area (one of our tables was wobbly). But, it fits a Tuscan atmosphere. If you choose, there's outdoor sidewalk seating, which isn't that bad considering the quaint downtown setting. With the half-portion selections, you can enjoy a full, delicious multi-course meal and not break the bank. Oh, the the food's really good, too.

2 Thank enm007
Orange Co, NC
“Third time NOT lucky”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We first tried Antonia's soon after it opened.The food seemed OK but not special, the service was poor which we attributed to it being new and in a settling down phase. We tried it a few weeks later and again had very poor service. We decided not to bother again. This week, however, a friend's birthday dinner was scheduled for Antonia's so we went along. We were a party of eight - large enough to require some attention but not so large as to be a huge burden. The first couple to arrive was shown to the table and given menus but menus were not put down for the rest of us. So when the waiter finally showed up to ask if we wanted drinks, we first had to ask for menus. He took a while to return for a drink order, the drinks took their time coming and then a huge wait until the came to take dinner orders. The first course came out without too much of a wait but there was another long wait until the main course. We then sat with a partially cleared table with dirty plates still in place for quite a while. Suddenly the waiter appeared with a check - no offer of coffee, dessert etc. Like one of those Chinese places where you think you might like the green tea ice cream only to find fortune cookies and a bill plunked down in front of you. We asked for desserts and coffees. The coffee came out quite quickly, as it often does, but there was probably 20 minutes before dessert came. I know American restaurants usually serve coffee before dessert (barbaric as that is) but the gap made it all the more unbalanced. Finally, they brought out a special dessert with a birthday candle while two of the company were in the rest room - including the partner of the lady whose birthday it was. How carelessly, crassly unobservant!

So, once again terrible service. What about the food? My first course, a plate of thin sliced lamb with ricotta salata over arugala with harissa was actually quite good. I wanted to have the fish of the day for my main course but they had run out of Redfish and offered Tilapia. I decided to try it since i was interested in the anchovy cream sauce. The sauce was interesting if a little bland but I had not noticed the small print that said that all meat and fish dishes came with vegetables (acceptable) and potato puree - i.e. mashed potato. Now one sure sign of a mediocre restaurant is that all the dishes always come with the same sides. In this case I had almost plain white Tilapia over plain white mashed potatoes with a portion of underflavored sauce. A decidedly uninspiring meal and I note that the "market price" was not reduced by the substitution of Redfish with the much cheaper Tilapia. My wife had Canneloni that were acceptable but again, not special. Finally, as another reviewer remarked, the dessert of crepe with peaches was rather heavy on the again bland cold crepe. And the coffee - a supposed doppio - seemed like a scant tablespoon or so of rather bitter espresso in the bottom of a large cup. It reminds one of the old joke about the restaurant where the food was terrible and even worse there wasn't much of it! The price for my wife and myself, including one drink and 2 glasses of wine was $100. I would rather have paid $150 down the road at Panciutto where the last time we ate the food was innovative and delicious. We shall do our best to dissuade friends and neighbors from making their birthday reservations here in the future.

1 Thank Michael_Orange_NC
Hillsborough, NC
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We do a lot of gourmet cooking at home, so it takes something special to impress us. This really didn't come close. My husband ordered a beef tenderloin pasta entree. The beef was way overcooked with lumps of fat throughout the dish, and the sauce needed a good bit of seasoning. I ordered the pasta with seafood--boasting smoked and fresh salmon in a cream wine sauce with shallots, mint, and fresh tomatoes. It was quite flavorless--I didn't detect any mint other than the sprig with which it was garnished, and as far as I could tell, there was no smoked salmon in there, only fresh. Oh, and I found a dead fly in it when I was nearly done with the dish. Gross. We brought it to the waiter's attention, and he offered free dessert, which I took. The dessert was crepes with whipped cream and peaches. Again, not at all impressed. The dessert was chilled, which indicates those crepes were not freshly made, but sitting in a refrigerator for a time. Also, I ended up leaving half the crepe and just eating the small amount of peach and cream from the center. The ratio of crepe to filling was way off. I won't risk spending so much money to be disappointed again. We won't be back to this restaurant.

Greensboro, NC
“Special Dinner”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We attended the "First Annual Heirloom Tomato Dinner" and it was wonderful. The meal had many courses served family style. There was an aperitif and three different wines served. (two white and one red). We sat at a table with two couples we did not know prior to that evening and it was a pleasure talking with them during dinner. The dinner lasted for three and a half hours. It was a great experience. I look forward to the "Second Annual Tomato Dinner" !
We are not from Hillsborough and stayed a block away from the restaurant at a great B&B (The Inn at Teardrops). I Highly recommend the Inn and the restaurant.