“Bad hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hillsborough
Reviewed March 24, 2012

quoted us a higher amount than I have paid at Holiday Inn express before. Got room alittle lower. Then fun began. AC in room didn't cool. Mainteance looked at filters then went and got a fan. Not funny was too hot for that. When we said we would leave they found us a room with working AC. They only did that because we threatened to leave. Bad Bad service. Should have taken some off the room. drain in shower slow. could hear people next door.
Will never stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for room with good ac
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Cathy C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Cathy C,

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed February 28, 2012

This hotel was very accommodating with their amenities and service. Rooms were clean and tidy. I will stay there again when I travel back in the area. Very friendly management.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Joe S
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I rated this hotel so low not because of the rooms or amenities, which I understand were nice enough, clean, and comfortable (I made a block of reservations for visiting family)--but because of the horrible customer service I received from the hotel manager after I was charged for two rooms I did not reserve.

The mistake was discovered when my family arrived to check in. I talked to the same manager the next business day to try and clear it up. I was nice, asking if something might have happened. (I made the reservation by phone a few weeks earlier, and there had been "computer problems" that I figured might have caused the mix-up). I was met with general defensiveness and very unprofessional accusations--"you knew about the extra rooms all along," "how do I know you're telling the truth," etc. He finally agreed to talk to the receptionist that was there when my family arrived to "check my story"--I would have to call him back to get any more information.

His response was pretty worrisome, so I called Holiday Inn's central guest relations number. They couldn't find any record of the extra rooms I was being charged for--just the ones I had *actually* reserved/gotten confirmation numbers for. This was a relief, but made me question the situation even more.

I called back, asked nicely if he'd been able to work anything out, and was treated with condescension. He had "decided he would take my word for it," and would refund the extra charges "out of goodwill." He knew I had called central guest relations (I supposed they had contacted him?), and confronted me about it, as though I shouldn't have done so. When I asked for a receipt reflecting the refund, he complied, but seemed annoyed. He then asked me if I had disputed the charge with my credit card company--I hadn't, yet--because "he would charge my card again" if I did.

(... wait, what now?)

I have never been treated this poorly by someone in hospitality. The manager's defensiveness toward me as I tried to ask about an issue in a courteous manner made me very suspicious. He couldn't give me any confirmation numbers for the extra rooms and the central reservation system showed no trace of them. After a lot of unpleasantness, I got my money back--but I'm watching my credit account closely and will never make reservations here again. Traveler beware!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank StephanieW524
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Booked this hotel last minute but for a good price, check in was easy although we ended up being charged twice as much after we had returned home. A quick phone call and it was all sorted. The rooms were nice and clean although nothing special. The hotel was ideally situated between 2 Interstates, we used the pool but it was full of leaf debris and furniture after strong winds. Nothing major as we pulled it out and swam anyway.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Davehedgehog77
Reviewed February 2, 2012

we came for family reunion and stayed 2-3 days. room very clean, staff very friendly. very helpful. greet all the time , when ever they see us.very enjoyable stay.maple view ice cream place they tell us was fantastic.we love to have another reunion at same place.very nice location . close to I 85 and I 40. right on exit.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank monalisa s
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My family stayed here over Thanksgiving 2011, and when we got home, we began getting bed bug bites. After spending over $200 and countless hours, we finally got rid of these pests 4 weeks later after much stress and suffering. I received an extremely defensive attitude from the manager, and no help at all from the corporate offices, with no restitution made to us. We will NOT be staying there again!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Suzanne B
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Staff was very polite and helpful. However, the lobby had a smokey smell when I first walked in. I should have stopped & walked out at that time. The "non smoking" room also smelled of smoke. I will make a point of not stopping there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Louise P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsborough
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hillsborough
Hilton Durham near Duke University
Holiday Inn Express Durham
Hampton Inn Mebane
Hampton Inn Mebane
#1 of 2 in Mebane

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough? Share your experiences!