“Best place to stay in Hillsborough”

Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hillsborough
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This is by far the best place I have stayed at in this town, I've tried the other two hotels on this exit on previous trips Holiday Inn was clean and had a hot breakfast included. It was a little hard to find, but if you'll look up the hill just behind McDonalds you will see it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank highmiles61

Reviewed April 8, 2011

No frills but clean. Don't stay here if you can find something else. $139 for an outdated room that takes me bake to the 60's.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank cmarr
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My mom and I took a friend of the family to a doctor's appointment in Hillsborough and we made reservations at this Holiday Inn for one night. The hotel is very nice on the outside. We booked two rooms--one with two queen beds for my mom and myself and one wheelchair accessible room for our friend. Both rooms were very nice and spacious; however, the interior of the hotel does need some attention. There are a few places where the ceiling needs some work and our fridge was not working (however we did not call it in so the front desk probably was not aware of this.) The hotel is very quiet and the breakfast was your usual cereal, danishes, and juice. It also had scrambled eggs and sausage. The best part of the entire experience was the friendliness of the front desk staff. They cheerfully pointed us in the direction of the best restaurants for dinner and talked with us about our hometown during breakfast. All in all, it was a very nice experience and we are very happy we stayed here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2010

the following is my the letter I sent to their customer service. It was dismissed (well, they offered toi enroll me in the Priority Club and give me 2,500 points. A $100 domestic voucher is 29,000 points).

I wrestled over whether or not to file a formal complaint, because I really only have one grievance in what was an otherwise unremarkable stay in a typical low-frills hotel. Actually, if not for my one grievance I would say the stay was great, especially since I was given the cheaper group rate even though I booked my room well past the July 1 cut-off date. But my grievance has been nagging.

I was given room 309, a fine room with a broken toilet. The morning of the 24th my toilet stopped and then overflowed. It was most unpleasant. I complained, and the issue was addressed by the poor lady in housekeeping. My usage of the facilities, I assure you, was normal (especially, I would imagine, when compared to the horrors hotel toilets must be exposed to regularly). I grew up in a large family in Mississippi, and my siblings and I learned to value every square.

The morning of the 25th my toilet clogged again (I am nothing if not regular). I went to the front desk and told the lady there that she can no longer rent out that room until this issue is remedied. I asked for a plunger so that I could deal with it myself, figuring that once-in-a-weekend was enough for the poor housecleaning woman. I could shoulder the burden myself that morning. The front desk lady was snide, and disdainfully implied TO ME AS I WAS ABOUT TO PLUNGE THE DAMNED THING MYSELF that I obviously had no idea how to properly use a toilet. To be clear, I am a 35-year-old man who has been faithfully flushing his morning constitutionals without error or incident for over three decades. Even this poor ole Mississippi boy knows his way around an indoor commode. Well, turns out I was the short-sighted one there, as the toilet would not plunge (though that morning it thankfully did not overflow). I left an apologetic note/forewarning on the toilet lid for the poor housekeeping woman I had hoped to spare from my latest indignity. I had a ride to catch to the airport, and frankly already felt plenty humiliated and had no desire to go another round with the front desk lady.

This is my grievance. Thanks for your time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank flavorflanks
Reviewed July 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on July 10th, 2010 while in the area looking for a home to purchase. Room 231, Pet Friendly. Just a quick background on my hotel "knowledge" with Holiday Inn Express brands...I'm a platinum member with over 1/2 million points earned in the last 18 months, that's roughly 220 nights folks. I KNOW what is a good hotel and what isn't. This one is NOT a good hotel.

We reserved a dog friendly room as we were traveling with our 25lb. "house" dog. Now I don't expect a pristine room when staying in a pet friendly room. I expect a certain amount of evidence that previous dogs or cats were in there, i.e. some dog hair, maybe scratches on doors, bathtubs, furniture etc. This room didn't show any animal wear and tear as one might expect. Instead, the air conditioner was pumping extremely humid air into the room. It was so damp, the sheets felt wet. Oh, it was miserable. In addition to the dampness, the room was dirty. The floor had not been vacuumed and the bathroom floor had human hair all around the base of the toilet and tub, and I mean human hair not appropriate for mentioning here. Disgusting!

As for staff, they were appropriate. I didn't bother asking for another room as it was late, but made a point to let them know the next morning. They apologized and said they would take care of it. I highly doubt anything would be done. The property is not being maintained. There was weeds and grasses growing in the rock laden landscapings around the building. Obviously not being cared for. I could go on...

Anyway, would not recommend the pet friendly room at this hotel...or the hotel for that matter. Will be staying at the HEI - Wendover Road in Greensboro, NC (45miles west) next time.

Good luck if you should choose this one!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Harold D
Reviewed June 26, 2010

The hotel linens are awful. The sheets, towels, pillow cases, bath clothes, and hand towels were fifty with stains. How embarrsing to have bath clothes stained and dingy. When asked for new ones, I was given more stained clothes. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank Listentome18
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Had I read the reviews prior to coming here, I would not have stayed. As it was, I picked it based on Holiday Inns I had stayed at previously as pretty good quality. It was late, and I just picked it to stop for the night. Well, the staff is nice, and the breakfast was decent, but the wallpaper is peeling, carpets were very dirty, climate control in the rooms was awful (the fan would go on and off in the night waking us up), and the interior of the elevators is atrocious. The bathroom walls were terrible. The "1" placard on the elevator had plaster all over it. And we paid way WAY too much. Extremely disappointed. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jhawks1510
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsborough
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hillsborough
Holiday Inn Express Mebane
Holiday Inn Express Raleigh-Durham Airport
Holiday Inn Express Durham
Holiday Inn Express Burlington
Hilton Durham near Duke University

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough? Share your experiences!