“Pleasant Highlands Hideaway”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pleasant Highlands Hideaway”
Reviewed December 31, 2008

While my favorite hotel in Highlands is still the Old Edwards Inn, I recently spent the night with my family at nearby Mitchell's Lodge (at half the price). Our adjoining rooms (#25 & #26) were in the more recently renovated section and each featured two double beds, gas fireplace, kitchenette, porch with rocking chairs, and beamed, cathedral ceilings. The bathrooms were very basic, but spotless. We enjoyed the do-it-yourself, complimentary breakfast in the lobby and the outdoor pavilion with roaring fire in the chilly evening. Sometimes it is nice to forgo the fancier, full-service hotels for a country retreat with laid-back logic.

My only less-than-glowing review would be that the bedding seemed a little dated. (I prefer crisp, white linens to country quilts). Other than that, I think this hotel is a great value for the area with a charming mountain style and would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The spacious rooms with fireplaces, the location close to town
  • Disliked — The beds and bedding felt dated
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
South Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2008

My husband and I need a quick getaway from everyday life and I went online and found Mitchell's. We were very happy with our beautiful room and smiling faces at the Lodge. The sweet front desk made our stay memorable. We loved sitting by the pond and forgotting our everyday troubles . Great place!!!

• Liked — The beautiful room and the small pond
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank KRTSouthCarolina
home
Reviewed July 9, 2008

We booked 3 rooms for a family reunion. Although we have been to Highlands many times, we had never stayed at Mitchell's and decided to give it a try. First, the photos on the website a little deceptive. There is a nice outdoor pavillion with tables and chairs that looks over a small pond/lake. Our rooms were in the older motel part of the property where you park in front of the rooms. The rooms are very dated with wood paneling and old carpeting. The bathroom is strictly 1960s with old counters and tubs, but perfectly clean and efficient. Our room (14) had a fully furnished kitchen, fridge, toaster, microwave, utensils, etc. There are rooms inm the adjoining "lodge" and 4 cottages. The cottage at the back of the property near the pond looked very nice and private. Breakfast was minimal, a few choices of breads and muffins, cereal. My complaint would be that they didn't open up for breakfast until at least 7:30, some of us are early risers. Accomodations in Highlands can be pricey...so all in all, I would say that Mitchell's is good for what you pay and I would stay there again.

• Liked — proximity to Main Street, price, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — late breakfast, not much selection of foods
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I just stayed in one of their standard queen bedrooms and thought the place was old and tired, smelled mildewy, and needs a major update in decor and room amenities. They have a very professional website with lots of nice pictures, which are deceiving and do not tell the whole story. I thought the place was worth about $40.00 per night, which is nowhere near the price I paid. I will not return or recommend this place to others.

• Stayed May 2008
5 Thank dgatlanta
Birmingham
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed in a cottage. It was clean and well maintained. We had a great stay. The property is in a good location to explore the area. The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank TryitYoullLikeIt
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 28, 2007

I have stayed in the Highlands many times before, mostly renting a cabin/house close to town, so I was already familiar with Mitchells having passed there many times.

We booked online and it was both fast and efficient. Leaving Atlanta in rush hour traffic- we didn't make it to NC for our one night stay - until about 2 hours after expected. The office was still open and there were plenty of people still out and about in town and at Mitchells.

We booked one room - 2 double beds in the main part of the lodge. Paid $81.00 total booking directly through their We site.
Our room was clean and comfie. Granted the bathroom was the size of a small closet - shower only - and yes, yes, yes, this place is older and rustic - but they both advertise this to be the case and it becomes part of the charm of staying at Mitchells overall.

Compared to the ridiculous fees you pay at other hotels in the area - which many are just as old and are NOT any nicer as far as linenes, bathrooms, etc.- than Mitchells - this place is a steal.

Would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ASwee
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed March 30, 2007

We stayed in one of the cabins/cottages with our 3 boys after a backpacking trip. We probably didn't see Highlands or Mitchell's at the best time as it was raining cats & dogs the whole 24 hours we were there. But I have to say I was disappointed. The jacuzzi (the main reason I booked Mitchells - for all our tired hiking muscles) was steamy & shabby & too bleachy; we didn't stay long. The cabin was adequate but just very plain & cheaply built. For this (good) price I don't need granite countertops, but take a look at the bathroom photos I'm posting -- yick! The staff were adequate but not overly friendly. Would not return. Sorry, Mitchell's fans.

• Liked — cheap digs, away from the Highlands hooplah, private cabin
  • Disliked — dingey bathroom, underfurnished kitchen, cheap carpets/linens/mattresses
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank finedeziner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
#5 of 7 in Highlands
200 Main
200 Main
#4 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!