“Nice place close to the main strip”

Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I'm glad we found this lodge. We stayed in the newer section (call to ask what rooms are the newer ones) room #22 and I thought the room was big. It is decorated nicely to make it feel like a log cabin. We did not have an issue with big speed bumps because we used the other entrance. This was almost a deal breaker since we have a sport/luxury car but I'm happy I clarified this issue. Staff was very friendly. Room included a fridge and microwave with a small sink and dishes. My only issue was that our Jacuzzi was not working. After snow tubing, we were looking forward to a warm bath but it did not work. We called the front and they said they would put in a request but that request was never fixed before we left. Oh well, can't have it all. I would stay here again- especially for the price but I recommend you check everything you want to use before settling in the room.

Room Tip: Ask which section is the new section. When reviewing old reviews, a lot of complaints seemed to hav...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ram326

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Took a few days after Thanksgiving to visit the Highlands area and do some hiking. I have stayed at Mitchell's many times over the years. Always a positive experience. I had phoned the Lodge prior to my arrival to inquire about a slightly earlier check-in. No problem (thanks Natalie). This time I stayed in the King/Creekside room. Excellent. Spotless and cozy. Very quiet. In my opinion, Mitchells offers a great value in lodging for the Highlands area. Save some money on your room...and then spend that shopping/dining!

Room Tip: I think # 31 (creekside) is a great choice!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My first warning to everyone is that this place has the largest speed bumps that i have ever seen!!
They are so large that when we drove over it at little more than a rolling speed, it sounded like it was ripping out the bottom of the BMW. Then we found that we had to negotiate two. The second one in front of the office is positioned to allow you to approach it at an angle and reduce some of the drag. The one in the driveway leading to the complex has to be approached more head on. They are well scared from the numerous contacts they have encounter with lower cars such as mine.
Once parked, it causes you stress to think that you have to drive your car back over them; I am not sure why they have to be so big.
The lodge is an older establishment, but everything looked as if it was well taken care of and in good repair. We had a corner room on the second floor and the deck was very spacious. The room was easy to cool and the décor was appropriate for the theme of the lodge. The rooms are clean and neat.
I was also impressed with a guest laundry that was clean and well lit.
The continental breakfast leaves a little to be desired, and the accommodations are little more than three tables positioned in the back of the office, but you can tell that it was planned with the best of intentions and that means a lot.
You can walk to the top of the driveway, turn left and walk towards the old post office and within 5 minutes you are in the parking lot of a shopping center with a great Mexican restaurant, a Subway restaurant, a Chinese restaurant and a grocery store. It is hard to beat the convenience while still having the isolation of the woods.
The staff is very friendly and will go out of their way to help you.
I am sure that we will go back, but we will be driving the Ford F-350!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 25, it is the first room on the second story and has a large deck.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnnydurango
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I typically stay at luxury 4-5 resorts and spas; however, when I visit the mountains I prefer rustic. I look for a private hideaway with all the amenities and furnishings I receive at the usual resorts. Mitchell's Lodge and Cottages offers an ideal location to the downtown Highlands area from the back street near all restaurants and shopping (was a great walk each morning)!

I stayed in the Cedar Lodge (similar to condos) on the upper floor with a large balcony, King bed and kitchenette with fireplace and sitting area-the best part was the wonderful private balcony with rockers overlooking the trees and wooded areas. It had the feeling of being in a chalet in Colorado! The staff was very accommodating and loved the swing overlooking the lake and the Jacuzzi overlooking the stream. If you want a great location, quaint, rustic without the high price of a resort - this place is for you! I highly recommend-as love the Highlands!!

Room Tip: If you want more space choose the cottages. However, the Log lodge rooms are adorable (no private p...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Judy C
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Just spent 2 nights in the older lodge and even though I was offered a free upgrade I stayed where I was. Comfortable bed in a nice size room,great nights rest. Staff was very friendly and helpful especially Ginger and Liz. The grounds were picturesque! Can't wait to go back to Highlands to stay in one of the rooms with a fireplace. The complmentary breakfast got our day off to a good start. Would definitly recommend Mitchell"s as a great place for a great price!

Room Tip: The rooms with fireplaces also have private balconies and well appointed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2012

What a wonderful feeling when you're far from home and then you enter Mitchells and the feeling returns. Ginger welcomed us as if we had known her forever. She's exactly what every motel , hotel and Inn should have. There isn't anything she wouldn't do to make sure all your comforts are met. The rooms are amazing, clean and wonderfully decorated. whether you choose , a cabin, Ceder Lodge or the original Log Lodge, you won't be disappointed. Sit outside on a rocking chair with your complimentary continental breakfast, then take a walk through the beautifully appointed grounds. Just a couple blocks away you'll find Main Street with wonderful shops and restaurants. Thankyou Ginger, Liz and Zander for making my visit from Upstate NY a great experience

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed in one of the older rooms. It was clean and had a nice little porch with rocking chairs outside our door. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the price was right. On the downside, it was very dark because of the small windows and dark wooden walls and the bathroom was tiny. Pillows were not the best and bed was only OK.
Continental breakfast was included which was handy for us since we were there to attend a workshop and wanted to get on with our day. The breakfast was OK, but not wonderful. It offered several options but I would have liked to see some yogurt and fresh fruit included.
All in all, I might return, but would upgrade to one of the newer rooms which looked really nice in the photos.

Room Tip: Newer rooms are bigger and have decks, larger windows and light colored walls which make them much b...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
Highlands Inn
Highlands Inn Lodge
Highlands Inn Lodge
#7 of 7 in Highlands
Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites

Been to Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.

Address: 264 Dillard Rd, Highlands, NC 28741-6672
Location: United States > North Carolina > North Carolina Mountains > Highlands
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Suites
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Price Range: $83 - $247 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2 star — Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc. 2*
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages is nestled by a small mountain stream and lake only 2 blocks from Main Street in Highlands, NC. Accommodations include a secluded lob cabin with fireplace, kitchen and Jacuzzi overlooking a small mountain lake, to a suite with some of the same amenities located in the Cedar Lodge, the newest building on the property. If you want a great rate, try one of the Standard Rooms. Free wireless internet access, free continental breakfast on the weekends. We hope to see you soon. "It's Like Coming Home" ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Mitchell`s Lodge & Cottages Hotel Highlands