“Best restaurant in highlands - talented chef”

Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Highlands
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: South 5th Street
Description: Internationally recognized Chef Wolfgang invites you to dine in his garden pavilion or by the fireside in a historic home. Nestled amongst the rhododendrons on the historic main street of Highlands. . Wolfgang's is the recipient of the Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence" for the past years, our wine list features over 800 wines. Eclectic Contemporary American Cuisine with a New Orleans flair, Seafood and Steaks. . "Our State" magazine named Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro the place you must eat in Macon County. Featured in Southern Living, Southern Accents, WNC Magazine, and Outside Magazine. Chef Wolfgang Green was the Executive Chef for the Brennan Family of Commander's Palace. Elected Member of Academy of Chefs Certified Executive Chef Member Texas Culinary Olympic Team Voted Jamaican and Texas Chef of the Year and Chaine des Rotisseurs.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My husband and I and our two children ate here last night and had the most incredible meal. A local here recommended the braised beef short ribs with collards and mashed potatoes. I eat fish far more often than meat but this was the most mouth watering dish! The ribs were so tender and cooked to perfection. There was no bone and the meat just melted in your mouth with flavor. Being from Florida , my husband hesitated in ordering the fish special but did so and found the snapper so light and fresh ! The grilled romaine salad was great as well - we split this and got almost none as our children devoured it. We topped off the meal with the apple streusel with nuts,raisins, al la mode- very European style and so delicious without being too sweet. chef Wolfgang is very talented! We will return year after year on our visit to highlands.

1  Thank LeslieP1640

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Dinner was wonderful. Perfectly cooked lamb with ample trimmings. Service solicitous, caring and professional. Downtown Highlands location for many years with imaginary Bavarian and Classic cuisine. There are outdoor tables, a full bar and fine weather for relaxing and drinking wine. Be sure and get a wine recommendation from Annelize, ask for Adrian as a server and Robbie at the front desk will greet you with old fashioned hospitality.

1  Thank Dana C
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Wolfgang’s is definitely one of my favorite restaurants. The menu choices are top notch, perfect for even the pickiest eaters. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and professional. I’ve eaten here more times than I can remember and couldn’t be more excited to see what the specials are each time. The wine menu is impeccable, and reminds me of Napa Valley. I have yet to be disappointed and I would definitely try out their specially made martinis.

1  Thank Raychael E
Reviewed July 28, 2014

While they have small plates and wine in the front of the restaurant, we chose the full meal deal in the back. Their specials are very special. My husband raved about his veal and my fish was excellent too, served hot with plenty of crab meat on top. Service was good but not rushed and the dinning room was quiet enough to hear the conversation at our table. We will return ASAP.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We try and try again only to be fooled by one decent meal followed by terrible ones. How can a chef be so off the mark time after time. Staff is always very nice , but I guess you should be slinging inconsistent food night after night. The bar is a nice place to grab a drink but if they take you to the very rear of the place to seat you, run for the door .......... It's so depressing.

4  Thank Travelsouth1
texanHighlands_NC, Owner at Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

We are very sorry that you had a bad experience with us.
In all our 20 years we have never had anyone say we were slinging food.
Wolfgang, the manager and myself always check on tables.When you dine at any restaurant and are that unhappy let the restaurant know then so they can do something to make you happy. I am surprised if you have had that many inconsistent dinners that we did not know and you came back. I went back to see our last review from you and it was a five star. We would like to talk to you more about your dining experience and when you came.
Mindy Green, Owner