“Good food, Big charges” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro

Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in Highlands
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: South 5th Street
Description: Internationally recognized Chef Wolfgang invites you to dine in his garden pavilion or by the fireside in a historic home. Nestled amongst the rhododendrons on the historic main street of Highlands. Chef Wolfgang Green was the Executive Chef for the Brennan Family of Commander's Palace. Wolfgang's is the recipient of the Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence" for the past years, our wine list features over 800 wines. Eclectic Contemporary American Cuisine with a New Orleans flair, Seafood and Steaks. . "Our State" magazine named Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro the place you must eat in Macon County. Featured in Southern Living, Southern Accents, WNC Magazine, and Outside Magazine. Chef Wolfgang Green was the Executive Chef for the Brennan Family of Commander's Palace. Elected Member of Academy of Chefs Certified Executive Chef Member Texas Culinary Olympic Team Voted Jamaican and Texas Chef of the Year and Chaine des Rotisseurs.
Alexander city
“Good food, Big charges”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We walked in on a Saturday night in September and got a set at the bar right away(we didn't expect to get a table). We ordered a drink and a dinner special that featured local fish. We got our meal in about 10 minutes and the chef was coming around greeting and inquiring about the food. The whole experience in the restaurant met my expectations and I would go there again. My problem with them came after I got my credit card bill the next month. I was charged once for my original receipt and again for my receipt with a tip added in. I called and got the manager who seemed to know there was a problem with more that just me getting over charged. I gave him my charge card information and he apologized and would credit my card. I have online access to pending charges with my credit card. A week went by and nothing. I called again. He had not around to it but he would do it that day. Five more days went by and nothing. I called again and left a message because the manager was out for the next two days. Four days later I called again and got the manager. He said he tried to credit my card while we were on the phone and would run my credit in the batch run that night. It is now 3 days later and nothing. I will have to get into a dispute with my credit card issuer to get this fixed. All this to say the food was good and the bar tender Jason was friendly, but use cash or watch your credit card statement closely at this Highlands location.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Russell M
texanHighlands_NC, Owner at Wolfgang's Restaurant & Wine Bistro, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We are very glad that you had a good experience when you were in our restaurant. To address the credit card issue, the manager that you spoke to did indeed issue a credit on the very day that you brought the problem to our attention. However unfortunate, the credit did not get processed by the processing company. In our 19 years of doing business we have never experienced this problem and we are taking it very seriously. We sincerely apologize for this issue and have taken all the steps to ensure that it is promptly rectified with the company. We thank you for your patience and look forward to seeing you again. Please feel free to call me personally. My cell number is 828.421.2211.
Mindy Green
Owner

Cashiers, North Carolina
“One of the Best Meals EVER!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

You cannot ask for a better meal than at Wolfgang's! The staff was so friendly and accommodating even on one of the busiest nights of the month. People were walking in requesting to be seated in the Bistro and the staff made sure everyone was taken care of. The Beef Short Rib has to be the ultimate menu item!! I saw at least three different tables order the same item while I was enjoying mine. You always wish you ordered two by the time you see the presentation and have your first bite. I will continue to dine at Wolfgang's Restaurant and Wine Bistro each time I get to Highlands!!

• Visited October 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Birthday weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Festive environment. Friendly waitress. Excellent menus selection. Good wine list. Wonderful dinner and an overall fine experience. We will return.

Visited October 2013
Athens, GA
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a 6:45 reservation and were seated right away. Our waiter, Merritt, was very pleasant. I ordered the house Pinot Noir. It was sooooo good, I asked for the name of it. I've never done that with a house wine. It was called Three Saints. I'll be getting more! My husband had the house Cabernet. He enjoyed it as well. To start with, I chose the blue cheese wedge. It was very simple, but the dressing was very good. All the restaurants seem to choose the same type of blue cheese. I'm a fan. I should have inquired as to where they get it. My husband chose the Caesar salad. He was pleased. I chose the red snapper with a béarnaise sauce. The fish was cooked perfectly, and the sauce was very good. I asked if I could substitute the potato for the Asiago grits. They obliged. I love any sort of seafood with grits. They were delish!!! My husband selected the Bavarian sampler which was quite a feast--it came with Knockwurst, Bratwurst, red sauerkraut, a warm German potato salad, a pork chop and some schnitzel. He ate it all and felt like he needed a man versus food T-shirt. We were too stuffed for dessert. I would love to go back sometime!

• Visited November 2013
Tennessee
“Poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had reservations at Wolfgangs for the culinary weekend in HIghlands next weekend, which I made well over two months ago. I found out that they were hosting a winemaker dinner that same evening so I made a phone call to the restaurant to make sure that they were indeed serving individual diners not attending the wine dinner and was assured that they had were.
Just today only a week away from the event, I get a call to let me know that they cannot honor our reservation.
This is shameful and poor practice on their part. It isn't like this event isn't an annual thing so they should have blocked out this date on Open Table, and even more importantly the staff member I spoke with to confirm my reservation should have been better informed. I am quite disappointed and for this reason would not give them another chance. They did nothing to try and make this right by asking for instance if they could make us reservations somewhere else. She just told me she could give me some phone numbers of other local restaurants.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Susan S
We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication regarding the reservation. We take full responsibility for this unfortunate situation, and would be delighted to accommodate you in the future. If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to contact me personally. My cell phone number is 828.421.2211.
Mindy Green