“Nice place with a couple items to address”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wild Thyme Gourmet

Wild Thyme Gourmet
Ranked #3 of 53 Restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Dinning Options: Lunch & Dinner,
“Nice place with a couple items to address”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stopped in for drinks, football and appetizers. The place was very nicely laid out, with some nice flat panel HD TV's in bar. We liked the outdoor seating as well (perhaps heaters, if they are allowed would help more people want to sit there as I heard several turn it down when offered).

We ate at the bar and ordered thai shrimp (great taste but too much of the dressing making the greens soggy with the hot veggies too) and fried green tomatoes (2nd best I have had).

Drinks were very good - expansive menu of choices from martinis, wine, or other cocktails. Probably 3 pages of cocktails alone - love that.

One item that should be addressed immediately by owners/managers - the customers at the bar are usually not deaf. The wait staff and bartender argue over "getting in my space" or "it is my job" stuff which is distracting and unprofessional. After observing for a couple hours - that register is the gathering place for all issues in the restuarant. I do have to agree with the bartender Nikki. Her job is to fix drinks and most bars have a ledge that opens only for the bartender to enter, to do his/her job, but this bar is completely open allowing all the managers and wait staff to enter her space and often fix drinks. If the owners enforced this guideline, it would allow the service to run more smoothly, quietly with fewer comments/facial expressions about it to one person at the bar (we assumed her boyfriend who was not eating or drinking but was there the entire time) and to the other bartender. I never really saw a back up so it was not as if they had to have help, the wait staff and others just preferred to do it themselves at times, even when she tried to politely ask them to stop.

Visited October 2012

Longboat Key, Florida
“Mixed feelings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We decided to try the new location of Wild Thyme at the spur of the moment. The new location on Main Street is much larger and has a much more contemporary decor. It was a bit cool to eat outside, but would have been lovely if we were dressed for it.
The restaurant was completely filled, so the noise level was rather high. It would not have made for a romantic evening, but would be fun with friends.
I had the fish special. The fish was tender, but ... for my taste, the lemon and ginger was too strong and overwhelmed the mild taste of the fish. My husband had the portobello mushroom napoleon which he said was just wonderful and would order again. We tried the spring roll appetizer ... not really anything special.
We would return for certain, I would just try another item.
Our server was from Eastern Europe, and just delightful.

Clarksville TN
“Just perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

First trip to Highlands, NC. We were in town for a wedding and this restaurant was recommended by parents of the bride. Everything was delicious. We had all specials of the day from soup to salad to entree ( mouthwatering rack of lamb) service was outstanding, everyone was very friendly and helpful. A good varied menu, but I always succumb to the specials. You need to make reservations if there during busy season.

Suwanee, Georgia
“They've Moved Around the Corner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We were in Highlands for a girls weekend in September so of course we spent one day shopping. We ate a late breakfast so around 2:30 just needed a little pick me up. I had heard Wild Thyme Gourmet was great but since it wasn't on the main street, I had never been. Well they just recently moved into the group of shops near Colonel Mustards and Kilwins. We sat at a high top in the bar because there were no open tables on the patio. We ordered two appetizers for 3 of us and three wines. The food was very good but it was a pretentiously small portion. 3 small pots tickers as one appetizer and 4 very tiny spring rolls as the other. The wine was great, but our barkeep never once smiled. Clearly he was irritated we were ordering bar food. We thought he might just be having a bad day until we saw that he was all smiles to the table next to us. I will go back again next time I'm there, it was just that good; but next time I'll wait for an outside table. There are also inside tables available.

southeast
“Give it a try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

A gorgeous day in the mountains, 70 degrees bright sunshine. Got to find and al fresco place for lunch. Took a suggestion from a guy we met at a waterfall just outside the beautiful village of Highlands. Main Street location, understand it just opened. Beautiful outside dining space, tables comfortably spaced, very good, friendly, attentive service, varied and innovative menu. Creamy tomato basil soup, served piping hot, was delicious. Fried chicken sandwich topped with lettuce and tomato with rice salad side was nicely done. Good cold Stella Artois and a nice glass of chardonnay for my wife. Could have sat there for a couple of hours but had to go.
We'll be back.