“Never Disappoints”

On the Veranda Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
On the Veranda Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 53 Restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: US 64 West
Description: Fine dining serving Eclectic American Cuisine overlooking scenic lake Sequoyah in Highlands NC
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Never Disappoints”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We usually eat here every time we go to Highlands, and it's always excellent, and has been for years. It was probably the first "good" restaurant in the area and has remained so.
There are a few newer, flashier in-town restaurants, and yes we like the food at Wolfgang's and Madison's and Paoletti's, and Canyon Kitchen, but On the Veranda is right up there and offers the full package whereas a couple of those others don't (think pretentious). I'm not sure it's #1 in Highlands as it's currently ranked, but it's certainly in the top few.
We also enjoy the servers as they're usually locals and often students at nearby WNC and can give you insight as to what it's like to live where others can only vacation.
It's fairly relaxed, no pretense, jeans are probably just fine, but you won't be uncomfortable if the occasion calls for taking it up a notch.
And by the way, a seat on the veranda gives you one of the only lake view tables in Highlands, but don't forget your sweater.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank JSR100

Quitman, Georgia
“Nice, but not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate here this past weekend and were impressed with the inside decor-very pretty. We were seated on the veranda, which was nice, too, if more casual in feel. There were a couple of larger groups out there with us, and we could hear everything they were saying-pretty loud outside. I don't know why they seated everyone out there. Inside was completely empty. Our server was nice, and made some good suggestions. We had the blue crab claws, which were tasty. They did not offer a side-sized salad, so if you wanted one, it would be an extra $10. My husband ordered the pepper crusted steak, which was so peppery he tasted it the next morning! The chef did come out and tell us to send it back next time, which was nice. I had the trout, which was nothing special. The best part was dessert. We had chocolate pecan pie. Overall experience was good; I think we were spoiled by our dinner the night before.

3 Thank raquelaque
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
“Superb food & service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The four of us had a wonderful meal made even better by our server, Jonelle. We had the snapper and the Osso Bucco specials. Hope everyone else gets a chance to try them. Jonelle was quite pleasant, efficient, and knowledgable. The night could not have been better, overlooking the frozen lake from the veranda - no pun intended. We will return.

Dillard, Georgia
“Lovely Setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

We really enjoy Sunday Brunch as well as summer evening dinners, on the veranda over looking Lake Sequoia. The food is consistently great and desserts are home made by their staff pastry chef.

Visited November 2013
“Great place for a great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I have been eating here for over 10 years and I believe it has gotten better. When I was there went there last time I had grouper special which wonderful. The appetizers are all good and I have never had a bad meal here although I have heard that it got bad for a while. I have only had pleasant experiences here with great food and service. One of Highland's best places