“A welcome addition to the area at a very reasonable price”
Review of Tokyo - CLOSED

Tokyo
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I've been wanting to eat here for quite a while and finally had the chance to stop by for lunch today. The seaweed salad, spider roll, diamond roll and green tea ice cream were exceptional and perhaps a couple of the best tasting rolls that I've ever had! The chef/owner is a very sweet man and goes out of his way to make sure that you are enjoying your meal.

My husband and I moved to the Glenville area full-time about a year ago and one of the biggest complaints is that there's really not a good restaurant for lunch or dinner at moderate prices...we just can't afford to pay $25-$45 a person per entree plus more for sides, etc. too often. I ate at the Asia Restaurant sitting behind them a couple of weeks ago. While the meal was of high quality, you're also paying twice as much... If you're willing to give up some ambiance for taste, then this is your place.

I liked the food so much that I ordered the tofu spicy noodles with the side salad & ginger dressing so that I could have lunch the next day. The seaweed salad, spider roll, diamond roll, green tea ice cream and the spicy tofu noodles entree plus tax came to $37. The Japanese and Thai entrees are in the $9.95-$18.95 range with most at $12.95-$14.95. The sushi prices are $3.95-$6.50 (for sushi and basic rolls) and $8.95-$12.95 (for the specialty rolls).

Please note that the place is looking for a server, so at least during the lunch hours, the owner/chef is also acting as server for now. Please be patient if he's busy...it IS worth the wait.

1  Thank Nancy C

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Our party of 6 arrived on a Sunday in mid June about 7 pm. There were only 2 parties there. The place opened recently. We ordered the Pad Thai ($10), the seafood dish ($16) ; curry salmon ($14) and Udon noodles ($13). When the dishes arrived, we could not believe the size. Each order could serve 2 people. The Udon noodle soup with tempura was served in a large bowl and 10 minutes later the tempura arrived with 6 med shrimps and lots of veggies. The salmon was served in a large bowl of curry (about a quart) with a bowl of rice. We were full and had enough for another meal for each of us. They serve beer, sake and sodas. Sodas are .75 per can or $1.75 for fountain drink. We would definitely come back if we were nearby.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Exceptional Penang Curry (complete with Coconut Rice)
Very Good Veggie Noodle dish (can't remember the name)
Took a Tempora Shrimp Roll to go (not advisable... better to take a 'cold' roll to go)
Not so great Thai Iced Tea (used to it being sweeter...)

According to waitress (very sweet/accommodating/flexible), the chef has been active for 30 years ... and the food shows!

Would definitely go back to try the Sushi (tempora included) fresh

Reviewed January 16, 2014

A long time coming, the Tokyo "Japanese, Thai & Sushi" restaurant is finally here. Located on Mainstree in Wright Square (where Rukas table is located), it was not open in time for the 2013 season. But to make up for it, Tokyo is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner! This is very unusual for a restaurant in the off-season.

While the basics are the same, there are a lot of ways to tweak the taste of many types of Asian food, So some recipes and chefs appeal to different pallets. I preface this as a partial explanation to my thoughts.

My daughter and I I have only had a chance to sample about half a dozen different dishes. And each and every one was good. Perhaps very good But I cannot say that the ones I had were excellent. But I have heard from those who feel they were excellent. Back to the individual tastes. I like the Thai options, and my daughter goes more for the Asian/ Chines dishes. And she has greatly enjoyed them.

I will continue to frequent Tokyo because their prices are very un-Highlands like. There is another Thai/Asian restaurant here that I like better. However, their prices are such that I can only visit them infrequently. I will be going back to Tokyo probably once a week (especially in the off-season.)

I do recommend Tokyo, and hope to see you there.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is a new restaurant in Wright Square. The inside is very cozy with a lot of traditional Japanese decor and a huge lobster on the wall. I had a few of their rolls and the philly roll was the best I've ever had. Got the red curry and asked for it "Thai" spicy but it was not as spicy as I would have liked. Of course I enjoy super spicy so I can't fault them for the lack of heat. The flavors were still in great harmony and the large portion was priced very reasonably. Service was professional and courteous, and I'm so glad I will no longer have to go all the way to Franklin just for good sushi. Welcome to Highlands!!!

1  Thank SweetTizzyT