“Superb!”

and 1 more site!
Old Edwards Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have been to the Spa here several times but took my husband here and stayed at the Inn for the first time on my Birthday. From start to finish they pamper you! Champagne at check in for starters, not just for Birthday girls either! The spa is not #1 Conde Nast North America for no reason! Treatments are tailored to you and our couples massage was in a beautiful room with candles and a chandelier. We returned to our room in the lodge (which was so "cottage quaint" and had a closed porch with seating!) to find rose petals across the bed and a card since it was my birthday! Oh and the bathroom floors were heated, such a nice touch. The food in the spa area and Madison's was delicious. We wish we had kept our dinner reservation there instead of going to a nearby recommended restaurant. Needless to say we would return and definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: The Inn has 3 different "parts" to it. Make sure you know if you are in the main Inn, the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Amanda S, Marketing Director at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

It sounds like you had a wonderful romantic getaway for your birthday. We are honored that you chose to spend it with us. Thank you for posting about your positive experience on TripAdvisor. And we thank you for your repeat visits to The Spa, and we're happy you stayed overnight with us this time.

There are newer reviews for Old Edwards Inn and Spa

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Booked the Old Edwards Inn historic site for our anniversary weekend. We were blown away by the professionalism of the staff at check in and every moment after. We were offered champagne upon arrival, the bellboy took our luggage from us at the car and put it in the room. I don't mean at the door either, it was put in the closet, toiletries bag was in the bathroom, lap top was at the desk. He gave us a tour of the property as well. The check in clerk, confirmed our dinner reservations and spa appointments. She also made us reservations for dinner the night we arrived.

Everything was fabulous and as expected for a 5 diamond boutique hotel. Every person spoke as you walked through the hotel, the staff members would stand, or step aside if you crossed in a hallway or stair. We had champagne delivered to our room with a note from the staff for our anniversary (complimentary I might add), turn down service complete with rose petals.

Our dinner at Madison's was excellent as well. Rose petals on the table and the staff again congratulated us on our wedded bliss. The chef sent out complimentary appetizer and soup while our meal was being prepared. Our dessert had "happy anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate.

We felt like we were the only guests at the time. Very nice place to stay and felt very welcomed. Would definitely do it again"

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Quintersfamily

Wow, I don't even know where to start thanking you for remembering all those wonderful aspects of your stay on TripAdvisor. We love getting passionately written reviews from guests that so clearly enjoyed their stay. Thank you so much, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Our First time visit to the Highlands was a memorable and relaxed visit. The Main Inn was charming and the rooms were cozy and comfortable. The champagne greeting was a nice surprise. The staff and service was friendly and top notch! The management was a very 'one on one' sharing experiences throughout our stay. This isn't often experienced as the can be pretentious, this was a more personable experience and appreciated.
Our meals at breakfast and a dinner were all cheery and well prepared in the charming Inn restaurant. The special white bread served there was very good. The bacon and fruit plate, omelets all fresh and hot. We loved the side dishes at dinner served in the little cast iron crocks.
The holiday events of the Whiskey tasting and the Irish coffee a Fun way to make the Irish in me proud. Those in management did a beautiful job of sharing the Green spirit for the guest.
The parking was easy as the street access at their door and at this early spring season less traffic.
The only addition we would include at the Inn would be to have the coffee and tea service to include cookies after the dinner hour between 8:00 and 10:00 PM. This service was limited to early hours only. An after dinner and retiring in the evening option needed. They did have a dessert offering in lower lounge but the time was between 10:00 and 11:00 PM seemed late and not convenient.
It was too early for the pool and outside wine bar at the Inn but it looked like a wonderful layout and the Lodge adjacent for lodging and a smaller serviced quick cafe' for breakfast. However, we did use the workout area two times and found it to be useful and they did have many classes offered for those who desire this when traveling.

We did not use their Spa, but did tour it and found it to be a beautiful and luxury environment with pricing equivalent to other high end Spa experiences in quality.

The town was charming and they had one of the best groceries with nice selections for any needs, including wine selections and their own coffee line which the Inn used in their restaurants! This was a charming walking location as many small shops to browse also.
One final note at this time of year not as many of the larger main restaurant in town locations open for open for a lunch...the 5:00 dinner seemed to be the option.
We would recommend this location as it was what small town charm and good taste offer in the North Carolina mountains. The gorge and overlook are beautiful...5 Star experience...

Room Tip: We loved the main Inn. However, there was no King bed when we booked our stay and the queen option...
1  Thank JM L
Amanda S, Marketing Director at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

We're so glad you had such a great stay at Old Edwards. We appreciate your suggestion for extended hours of the nighttime snack, and we have submitted this to our guest services team. We look forward to having you back when you can enjoy the pool, the Wine Garden and The Spa. Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor. Warm Regards.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Old Edwards Inn and Spa greets you with a warmth that envelopes you from check-in to check-out. Upon entering the inn, my wife and I instantly left all thoughts of work and worries behind. Brian Crook leads a dedicated team capable of handling any challenge with an ease and efficiency all too rare in the hospitality industry these days. The staff are friendly, well trained and attentive to all needs and concerns. There is no problem too big or too small. From our super cozy room, to the delicious food in Madison's, to the spa, to almost any amenity imaginable, one would be hard pressed to find an inn anywhere more enjoyable. Over the years, we have visited some the finest hotels, inns and resorts around the world. I am happy to say Old Edwards Inn and Spa easily belongs in any discussion of our favourites. We eagerly look forward to our next visit.

1  Thank MacLean1959

Thank you for your amazing review of Old Edwards Inn and Spa! We especially love your comment, "greets you with a warmth that envelopes you from check-in to check-out." That is exactly the feeling we want to provide for our guests. We look forward to having you back for future visits.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed two nights in the lodge which are duplex type rooms behind the inn. Was greeted warmly and given a glass of champagne while given a tour of the inn. Checking was smooth. All personnel were friendly. The room was very nice with comfortable beds, high def tv in the room, refrig and keurig coffee maker. The bathroom featured heated floors and a jacuzzi tub. We had an over amorous couple adjacent to us the first night who made a lot of noise. We complained and received a complimentary bottle of champagne. The hotel is located on Main Street, within walking distance to shops and restaurants. A first class resort.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lakemartindoc
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Only two hours from home, I wanted so badly to love this place and have it as our quick getaway. Unfortunately, I found the overall experience disappointing.
- We stayed in the Spa Suite, and the bathroom was amazing. No question about it. Amazing. Deep tub, open gorgeous shower, and heated floors. Amazing.
- Decorations were nice, but we got the "Golf" room. Not exactly the romantic suite I was hoping for anniversary. But my hubby liked it, I guess!
- I have no idea why they skimped on toiletries. No mouthwash or sewing kit? Weird.
- The linens were the lowest grade thread count I have slept on since college.
- The toilet paper and tissues were single ply. I can't wrap my mind around skimping on toilet paper and tissues when guests spend $425/night.

Reservations:
- A week in advance, I asked the reservations receptionist to make us dinner reservations at a neighboring restaurant. When we arrived for that dinner, no reservations existed.

Yoga:
- On Saturday mornings, they offered a free yoga class, which I took. I loved it, and I loved that the class was open to anyone. Very nice option.

Spa:
- I also scheduled via phone a Couples Massage for me (and I clarified I was 10 weeks pregnant) with a prenatal-certified therapist and for my hubby. When we arrived, the Spa refused service when they learned that I was 10 weeks pregnant, saying they only serve women after 13 weeks. (If that is your policy because of some weird trial lawyer-obsessed world -- DESPITE my doctor happily encouraging me to get a massage, fine. Your staff who makes appointments should be aware...)
- In the end, I spent very little time with my husband that afternoon because he insisted I get a facial instead (which the staff did go out of their way to accommodate). But they never told us (until they told me after my appointment) that he could have enjoyed the spa amenities, etc., or that the Spa is available to Spa Suite guests for their entire stay... Totally crummy Service.

Madison's:
- The restaurant was nice, though it took 2.5 hours for a two course meal. (I looooove long meals and appreciate not being rushed, but four other tables were sat, served, and left in the time that it took us to get our entrees.) They served me the wrong entree. When they reserved us, they did give my husband a fresh serving, which was very nice of them.
- Our waitress was very sweet and kind.

The service was mostly very nice. Overall, I wanted a getaway with my husband, and I ended up not spending a good deal of my afternoon without him because of a silly policy, which could have entirely been avoided. We spent $1200+ for the weekend at Old Edwards, and I walked away without the relaxation and together-time that I craved for our anniversary. Bummer.

Foodie recommendation: Go to the market at the Church Street intersection and order from the deli counter. Spectacular food!

Room Tip: We reserved the Spa Suite, which is in the Old Inn. It was spacious, and the bathroom was amazing...
3  Thank Lori A

We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your room and other aspects of your stay. It sounds like your inability to get a pregnancy massage set a bad tone for the remainder of your visit. We regret that there was a misunderstanding regarding our policy when you booked your stay via the telephone, so I will address that first:
• Our reservations team is trained to ask pregnant woman if they are past their first trimester before booking a massage. It was our reservations director and trainer that booked yours and, though she maintains that that is always the first thing she confirms when booking a massage for pregnant guests, she regrets that there was a misunderstanding that did not come to light until you filled out your form at the spa revealing that you were only ten weeks along. The spa team acted in the only way they could under our policy, and also offered you 20% off a facial instead, which you accepted. Again, we regret any hard feelings on the part of our guests under any circumstances, and we apologize that this occurred.
• Regarding bath and body amenities, we provide high-end European Molten Brown soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Sewing kits, mouthwash and any other items are available for complimentary delivery to your room by calling the front desk.
• Our Frette linens are 100% Egyptian Cotton, 300 TC, Combed, SATEEN and Mercerized.
• We did book your reservation at a local restaurant and have since confirmed with the restaurant that they had it on the books, that you were promptly seated and had dinner at your reserved time. They simply had it under the name of Old Edwards as opposed to your last name.
• On the night that you dined in Madison’s, we mistakenly served you an incorrect order, for which we apologized and do again. Since we prepared another fresh dinner for your husband as well to allow you both to enjoy a fresh dinner at the same time, of course that resulted in a longer time at the dinner table.
We make every effort to contact guests who have any issues so that we can make some kind of compensation. Our General Manager, Brian Crook, tried to reach you via the email from your online comment card that we received following your visit. We use constructive input to improve our services and train our staff, so we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Great place to stay. My wife and I went here on our honeymoon. The manager Brian Crook and his wife Julie were very accommodating and told us all the sites to see and the history behind the Inn. Also the guy at the gym that does the walking tour was very friendly. We got a lot of interesting information from him. The spa was very nice as well. They have every thing a luxury spa should have-- steam room with eucalyptus, treatment rooms for massages, facials, manicures and pedicures. Also a lovely waiting or relaxing room to enjoy a book or an herbal tea. We also stumbled across the Old Edwards Golf course. I'm not a golfer but with the views I wouldn't mind playing a round just for the sites. Hopefully we can stay again soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank b_arnold1976
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
#5 of 7 in Highlands
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Old Edwards Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!