“The spa is heavenly”

Old Edwards Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have been to the Spa at Old Edwards Inn five or six times and have had blissful experiences each time. I've never felt compelled to write a review because I figured, hey, everyone already knows this place is perfect. But I recently had such a terrible experience at a N.C. mountain spa that is "allegedly" high-end and award-winning (see my TripAdvisor review of Westglow Spa, and please enjoy the manager's hilariously hostile and defensive reply) that I felt I should give credit where it's due. And believe me, it is due here.

This is just what a luxury spa should be. There's a stone fireplace, an elegant dark brown "chocolate hallway" (as they call it) leading from the reception area to the "fireside" room, sanctuaries and treatment rooms and superior service.

I made an entire day of soaking in the atmosphere here. I hardly wanted to leave my spot by the fire when I was called for my facial. It was relaxing and suitable to my sensitive skin and refreshingly not a bit sale-y (as some spas can be). I returned to the solarium by the fireside room for my elegant lunch of a trout wrap with a hearty, rich pumpkin soup and -- just because it sounded so good -- a lavender Collins with the spa's homemade lavender syrup.

I left that reverie for my 50-minute foot rub. (That is not a typo. Someone rubbed my feet for nearly an hour with a peppermint scrub, followed by peppermint oil and then HEATED my spa sandals for me before I left.) Perfection!

But I wasn't through relaxing. I had the heated whirlpool to myself and then got in the shower that has about 12 shower heads to gently pummel you with water from all angles. Then, I returned to the fire to read more in my book. Oh, and to fall asleep.

The Old Edwards knows how to treat guests and is a stunning facility, to boot. It is worth every penny.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Have_fun_will_travel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We spent 4 nites at the Old Edwards Inn in May & had a great time. The rooms are large & well done, no complaints. All of the common areas are beautiful & spacious ; we ate lunch at the outdoor cafe.....excellent meal plus nice ambience.We stopped by the upstairs bar one evening for a glass of wine & the bartender had ample advice on restraurants. We attended a reception & dinnner at the facilities at the golf course ( a few miles away )....impressive ! Beautiful setting & elegant facilities.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry M
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We spent two days in the Falls Cottages right before Thanksgiving. These accommodations are the newest and best at the hotel. They are a very short walk from the historic inn but offer privacy and are luxuriously appointed. Can't think of any place we've ever stayed that was as nice. We had our own living room with gas fireplace, a large bedroom with a large walk-in closet and a gigantic bathroom with a spacious shower and radiant heat on the tile floors. There was even an outdoor terrace which we didn't use because it was too cold.
The dining room in the historic section served delicious food, and we particularly enjoyed the Hummingbird Lounge for cocktails. Service everywhere was friendly and efficient. I highly recommend this hotel which is located in the charming town of Highlands, NC.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed in this perfectly charming inn for three nights. The staff was helpful and eager to please. Complimentary coffee bar every morning was one of my favorite amenities! We also loved the unlimited dove bars and bottled water. We did not visit the spa, but I still felt pampered in every way for the duration of our stay. The only disappointment was that our room in the historic inn did not have a view. The property is quite large, however, so this could have been remedied, had we been so inclined to ask for another room. Be sure to walk to Mountain Fresh Grocery for breakfast or lunch - delicious!! This is a wonderful spot for a romantic getaway!

Room Tip: We stayed in the historic inn, and our room did not have a view.
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Every minute of our experience here was great. The staff is top notch, and obviously well trained. No wonder the Inn and the spa get such high marks in the top travel magazines. First class construction, first class amenities, no nickel-and-diming, well staffed----what's not to like. The F&B manager, Thomas Keenan was a real joy to get to know. I've been here a few times, and there is never a noisy guest, surly employee, or broken fixture. A great experience whether you're here for the spa, or the hiking trails.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Our trip to The Old Edwards Inn was fabulous! We were there for a quick get a way, and it was perfect! We loved our cottage, the staff, and especially the spa! We will definitely be back, and may bring the kids next time!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary and needed to relax. This was the perfect place! The Old Edwards Inn came highly recommended by coworkers and we were very pleased. The service is outstanding, the staff truly wants to make guests happy. Champagne at check-in, unlimited Dove bars, beautiful rooms, great food, and gorgeous natural beauty in the surrounding area all made for a perfect getaway. Our room (601) was a 1 bedroom suite at the Lodge, with slate floor entry, separate sitting room with fireplace, huge screened porch with a stone walk to a private patio, large bedroom with King bed, walk-in closet and huge bathroom with heated floor, separate shower, huge tub and private water closet. We were thrilled! It felt like a private bungalow. The Old Edwards is the perfect place to relax, enjoy superb service and rejuvenate. Loved it--we'll be back!

Room Tip: The Lodge 1 bedroom suites are gorgeous! Plenty of room and close to Arts bar / coffee. These room...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda S, Marketing Director at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary with Old Edwards, and for posting your review. You hit on so many details that make a difference and that we try to provide for our guests. We look forward to seeing you again, perhaps for next year's anniversary celebration if not before.
Warm Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.

Been to Old Edwards Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!