“Deserving of rave reviews”

Old Edwards Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We booked prior to reading up on all the reviews on Trip Advisor (NA Spas 2012, etc) and Conde Nast - Old Edwards Inn definitely deserves its rave reviews!

We were warmly received from the moment we arrived, with champagne, and given a tour of the main building and the building our room was located in. Prior to arrival, I did not fully understand that the property is comprised of multiple buildings, but I must say that I think that this added to the charm. The buildings were indeed cohesive, but also were connected through numerous gardens, patios and special little private hide-aways - often with outdoor fireplaces, fountains, etc.

Our room was gorgeous and immaculately maintained, however it was the bathroom which drew immediate raves from my wife. I had thought that the notion of heated floors was frivolous - but even I loved it after experiencing it. It piled on from there, heated towel bars, Molton Brown products, beautiful tumbled marble and so on..I have already been asked to recreate this bathroom at home (yikes)

I must admit that I am not usually one for stepping foot into a spa, but after my wife raved about her experience and the shower - well, I had to try. Best shower of my life to date, period -

Room Tip: Rooms 801 and 802 open to private patios, which in turn open directly to the pool/grotto area, very...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bkgs1015

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was our second visit. Stayed in cotttage ( highly recommend ). Very efficient and friendly staff. Couldn't get the direct tv to work one morning and Patty from the front desk was there in three minutes. Spa deserves the #1 rating in the country. Madisons restaurant was wonderful for breakfast and dinner. Very comfortable room with screened porch. ( room 203 ). The lodge and cottages are very quiet. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The hotel has old historic room and newly built cottages. Historic rooms are very nice but closer th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Took my husband for a couple of nights for his birthday and it couldn't have been more special.
Hospitality, food and services are excellent. Greeted upon check in with champagne. Stayed in one of the King size lodge rooms (701) which was spectacular and with our own VERY private patio. Couldn't do much hiking due to weather but we used the fitness center and spa (to die for) walked around town and shopped and enjoyed the local non-chain stores and food. Madison's restaurant at the Inn was excellent-advised to sit in the smaller room which is quieter. We shared tea and a baked pretzel with dip in the afternoon in the hummingbird library which was luxuriously quiet and relaxing. Also recommend fabulous Italian food at Paolettis across the street. If you are looking for a quiet full service establishment with comfort, style and village quaintness you must go especially in the Fall to see the leaves and in the spring/ summer -NO mosquitoes.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lodge which was very close to the pool and fitness and seemed a little more private...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stop to shop in the Highlands every couple years, and have walked by the Inn many times, but had no idea how special it wasl We stayed in the lodge behind the Inn, and the room we had was very nice. From champagne and strawberries, to heated tile floor in the bathroom, to a beautiful pool to lounge by ... who knew paradise was just steps away from Main Street, USA! Staff was professional and attentive as well. It was a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We are on our second night at the Old Edwards Inn, and this place is fabulous to the max. I can't think of many other quaint resorts that would compare in style, service and luxury. This place rivals the likes of Four Seasons Hotel...even better, if you ask me since it is so small and cozy. Concierge informed us that the place is fully sold out but one will never know. It never feels crowded. In fact, it almost seems like we are the only guests here with the impeccable service and attention that we've received.

There are so many brownie points to give to this place. First, lets talk location. At 4,100 feet above sea level, Highlands is a mystical town that is foggy in early morning, stunning during the day and foggy again at night. It's absolutely beautiful. The locals are friendly, and the inn is at the heart of it all! Nearby are charming boutiques that offer anywhere from local pottery and soaps to designer brands and luxurious fur (being an animal lover, I stayed with the cotton materials).

Downtown is small and everything is within a short walking distance from the hotel. We had breakfast at cafe 460 which is unusually located inside a pharmacy. The people there were so hospitable and the food was as close to homemade as you will get on vacation. Great prices too! Lunch was at Madison's in the Inn, which provided great ambience and friendly service. It was luxury without the stuffiness that one would expect. The environment was bright and airy, and we were seated next to a tall window overlooking their European courtyard. We've tried two places for dinner so far. One was a hole in the wall joint that served AMAZING pizza, called the Pizza Place. Only about a block away from the hotel. Another place was Wolfgang Bistro! The trout was so fresh and the steaks were scrumptious. We had our little 4.5 year old tot on this trip and the folks at the restaurant were so lovely and accommodating to him. The maitre d even challenged our son with a little contest to help us encourage him to remove his coat for dinner. So darling.

Second, lets talk about THE SPA! I'm pregnant on this trip so I signed up for the 80-minute mother-to-be massage. It was heavenly. My therapist was so knowledgeable and just knew all the muscle groups that are strained from my pregnancy. He also taught me a lot of great stretches and fitness tips that I can do on my own to keep my muscles looses and comfortable. The spa facility itself was superb and top notch. Beautifully appointed and outfitted with luxurious Molton Brown products. The lounges were stunning, and as a guest, you'll have a choice to stretch out in a handsome lounge with plush couches and a nice fireplace, in a room completed with warm wood paneled walls OR a solarium with a selection of plush chaises, fireplace, water fountain and a huge shelf of books and magazines. I could've stayed there all day! What a perfect place to relax. Lastly, the shower. Oh my heavens the shower. Lets just say it was like standing in a torrential downpour or tsunami, without the winds. I also didn't want to leave the shower! The spa also offered his/ her hot tub pools, sauna and steam rooms which I didn't get to use -- pregnant people ahold not be using those facilities :). Bonus though, I leaned that you don't have to register for spa services to use their facilities. As long as you're a registered guest at the Inn, everything is within your fingertips :)

Third and last, lodging and service. Wow! We were greeted with glasses of champagne and by a nice gentleman who helped us check in and gave us a tour of the hotel, highlighting the common areas. He also walked us to our room and showed us all its offerings, including the nice heated bathroom floors! We stayed in the Hickory building which is located near the Lodge and next to the fitness center. It's absolutely handsome with dark wood paneled walls and plenty of seating areas. There are only four rooms in our building and each is gorgeously set up. Ours comes with a king sized poster bed, tv, DVD player, direct tv, all the magazines and books you can choose from, two chairs with ottoman, wet bar, microwave oven, fridge, safe, robes, and HUGE beautiful bathroom -- 100% made of tumbled marble. As mentioned, our bathroom has heated floors, a large bathtub with shower and a massive shower room and a separate toilet room. It's also outfitted with Molton Brown toiletries, which I immediately fell in love with so I've not even bothered using the bath products that I brought from home. The best part of our room is the charming private courtyard it walks out to that leads to the mineral/salt pool area, with a pool bar and a whirlpool tub. Outside our room are three seating areas, two of which have remote controlled fireplaces -- one indoor and one outdoor. Since I wake up much earlier than my family does, this is where I've spent my mornings, drinking coffee and catching up on my reading.

Did I mention that as inn guests, we also have 24/7 access to Dove ice cream bars, fresh fruits and a great selection of canned sodas and bottled water. Definitely a bonus for our little boy, who also got a kick out of the massive freshly baked cookies that housekeeping left in our room, and the fact that they neatly stowed away his toy cars that scattered around our floors during turndown service. Our little man also enjoyed playing billiards and foosball in the game room, and croquet on The Lodge's lawn.

As I said, this place is nothing short of fabulous. Though it likely attracts couples and adult guests mainly, they also proved to be kid-friendly as well :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MariaLou22
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I just returned from the Old Edwards Inn for a long weekend retreat celebrating a birthday with several others. The accommodations were lovely and very comfortable, and the service (both personnel and spa services) was exceptional. We ate several times at various restaurants on the premises of the Inn. The meals were very good. The only drawback was that we had a vegan amongst us, and the servers were not very knowledgeable about the menu items that met these special dietary requirements. Otherwise, a perfectly relaxing experience--and just what we were hoping to have.

Room Tip: We were in a suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a common den and dining room, a configuration that...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2012

At the generous offer from my husband, I took my friend to Highlands, and we stayed at the Old Edwards Inn in one of the cute cottages. We started with complimentary champagne and ended with Dove bars our first day. We "relaxed to the max" in the beautiful spa with massages under mini crystal chandeliers in each room. The next day we shopped 'til we dropped in the numerous boutiques and shops in the downtown area. Back at the inn, lunch at Madison's was great - a beautiful setting overlooking the wine garden and good food, too. You can't go wrong visiting this wonderful inn so treat yourself or your spouse and leave with fond memories.

Room Tip: The lodge cottages are perfect and private, no street noise. Note: If you are allergic to feathers l...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Old Edwards Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!