“Charming and Delicious”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Rustico has breathed new life into The Log Cabin. We have been four times since they opened in July. We love the charm of The Log Cabin and what the owners have done to make it that way. The walkway is lovely and there is a cozy bar just inside the entry. We've tried most everything on the menu and love the trout and the pasta dishes. The owners and staff are very attentive and helpful. We wish them well.

1  Thank MomofJDM

Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary in Highlands and chose Rustico since we had loved The Log Cabin in previous years. I understand there has been a change in ownership and unfortunately a change in menu as well. I had the Capellini Granchio - on the menu - capallini pasta with crab meat, asparagus, sundried tomatoes, white wine butter sauce - $20. The dish was very bland - lacking in crab meat, asparagus and sundried tomatoes - a slight sprinkling of each in a very tasteless sauce. My husband had the risotto ai frutti di mare ($26) which appeared much more acceptable and flavorable. The bread served with the dipping sauce was excellent. One of the previous dishes at The Log Cabin before change of ownership was a pasta dish with lobster - absolutely fantastic - had it many times so was quite disappointed that the change in menu didn't meet my expectations.

1  Thank Becky052
Reviewed August 6, 2012

So glad to see this restaurant re opened. We ate here the first week they were open and it was excellent. Takes me back years to fond memories. Although it is italian this time around, the ambiance, atmosphere and the food is perfect. I am astounded by one of the previous reviews, Walls empty, no decor? Are we sure we are talking about the same restaurant. This is one of the most beautiful buildings in town. A must see and Must dine!!! You won't be dissapointed.

6  Thank dawgheart
Reviewed August 2, 2012

As year round residents of Highlands, we are thrilled to have another Italian dining option. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our salads and pasta dishes. The wine list was fine and we enjoyed our selection. The pricing was reasonable and totally commensurate with the quality of the dishes. With little or no advertising ( we had to check on line to get the phone number) the place was packed on a Tuesday night and we heard nothing but positive comments from other friends that we happened to see there. Tourists at a nearby table had eaten there the night before and returned with some friends. The staff was friendly and the ambience wonderful. Glad to see The Log Cabin operating again. We will definitely be back!

3  Thank rickandcindy
Reviewed July 27, 2012

New Italian restaurant opened in July, so still feeling their way around. After hearing locals saying they were going to check it out, we as part-timers decided to go too. Although the owners are not Italian their take on Italian cuisine not bad. I'd say more like so far for first time visit it's okay. I noticed that they are trying to keep their menu pricing the same as Paoletti's, they are not there yet so, therefore, I believe in order to compete they should lower pricing, my opinion. We were sat by Pamela one of the owners, sweet woman. We had to ask bus girl for a wine list. We start out with the four small pieces of warmed up bread that was cold not impressive but the herb infused oil to go with nice. My husband had the mussels appetizer special very good, I had the grilled sausage, roasted peppers with rapine, (broccoli rabe), very good. Husband had the swordfish special which had what we call a puttanesca sauce, swordfish was a bit strong tasting and cut thin, he did not enjoy. I had the pappardelle con vitello, which is the egg noodles with veal osso buco ragu. The ragu was a brownish sauce, okay. We were to full for dessert but we saw other tables around us that were not local first timers like us that got biscotti, we did not get any so can't comment but did feel left out. It would have gone well to help us finish the wine we chose a Tuscan wine called Lucentte, as opposed to people I spoke with behind us that I had to tell what it was the Italian cookies were so they could enjoy them with their ice tea. All in all we will at some point try it again to see how they weather the very critical culinary people of Highlands.

3  Thank CJW1928