Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
200 Main(Highlands)
Highlands Inn(Highlands)
View Hotel
Old Edwards Inn and Spa(Highlands)
Laurelwood Inn(Cashiers)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewshot tubtennis courtsbreakfast basketstarbucks coffeethe eagle's nestmanager paulbox fanbalcony doorsunset decknice amenitiesfall colorslaid back atmosphereour room was spaciousthe north carolina mountainsrocking chairsbeautiful sceneryhiking trails
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Their online site ad looks nice and located up in the mountains. They are up in the mountains, it was very old and worn, it is poorly managed. They were to deliver hot rolls to each guest room in the mornings...never arrived(this is because the restaurant was closed.) . Restaurant was only open for dinner on weekend, which they never told us when we called to make the reservations.

We wasted our money, not the wonderful stay we hoped. The good reviews must have been a long time ago.

Sue S. 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sue S
SkylineLodge, Front Office Manager at Skyline Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience with your stay. We try our best to react quickly and be responsive in our guests' requests, however I see that this did not happen in your case. It was recently brought to my attention that some of our advertisements were not completely updated and the restaurant information was one of these. I sincerely apologize that you were not made aware of the restaurant hours at check in. I have corrected this issue and all guests are aware of our restaurant hours. We do try to provide our guests with a breakfast basket that includes muffins, juice, and fresh fruit on Mondays-Fridays since we do not offer breakfast in our restaurant those days. If you did not receive this, then that was a major staff oversight and I apologize. I was not made aware of your situation and had I been told, you would have been taken care of immediately. We are constantly making improvements based on our customer's feedback and I will make sure to make corrections to ensure this does not happen again. We really do appreciate your business and if there is anything we can do in the future please let me know.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We checked in at the Skyline this past weekend and were given keys to an Eagles Nest room, which looked fabulous online. On this 100 degree day, the windows were open, presumably to try and mask the mildew smell, and AC was off. As we stepped in, I crunched a beetle underfoot and began looking closer. The carpet was not vacuumed, ancient and filthy, as was the bedding. Mirror wasn't even cleaned in the bathroom, etc. But when I saw the BLACK MOLD on the ceiling, I'd seen enough. We asked for a refund, but staff wanted to show us a different room, which turned out to be just as dated (70's) and almost as dirty. I mentioned to the innkeeper that we'd stayed in 200 year old inns that were spotless. Age is no excuse for lack of maintenance. They obviously paid some good money for the website design. We'll be sure to let all our friends know not to waste their time checking it out.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tyler J

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience with your stay. We try our best to react quickly and be responsive in our guests' requests, I apologize this did not happen in your case. We now are fully staffed to take care of the housekeeping issues and updating our rooms to provide the very best of quality for our customer's. The issues you mentioned have been taken care of, we have since made changes in the rooms cleanliness and aesthetics. Although, this is no excuse for the issues you discussed in your review. We really do appreciate your business!!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at the Skyline Lodge. Would much rather stay up in the mountains at the Skyline than any of the hotels in downtown Highlands--well worth the 3 mile drive off Main Street. The staff was great, delicious food & beautiful views.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue Marie B

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay!! We really appreciate your business and are constantly making improvements!!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I hate to leave unfavorable reviews of a hotel that really tries so hard to make the guest experience great but sometimes it must be done.

The staff at this hotel is beyond wonderful. Everyone is extremely pleasant and friendly. The owners have spent a lot of time and money keeping the hotel up and continue to focus on maintenance and making new improvements. It is a beautiful rustic hotel, up in the mountains about 5 miles from town. The original lodge was started in the 1890's.

We stayed with the Skyline because it was a last minute trip and our stay followed a holiday weekend (Memorial Day.) The few rooms available in town were quite pricey. We were traveling with elderly parents and saw the advertisements of the hotel at $125. per night that mentioned a great restaurant and two bars, so we thought this place will fit the bill perfectly. Not quite so. We learned the great restaurant and bars were only opened on weekends and we would have to drive to town (not a terribly long drive, but a good 10 minutes along the winding mountain roads - one that we would NOT attempt in the dark.)

We met several other guest during our short stay who were equally disappointed and felt there was a bit of 'false advertising' as they would not have stayed there either without the advertised amenities. Before I left I spoke with the woman at the front desk who commented that other guests also mentioned this and she was sorry but said that town wasn't that far away. Really not the point.... If the ads would have mentioned 'opened seasonally' we would have inquired about this and if the hotel was not offering the amenities we wanted, we would have stayed elsewhere.

For the price we paid for each room, we felt overcharged. While the hotel room were pleasant, they were not the selling feature of the hotel. Clean, quaint, somewhat updated, but definately primative. One side of the hotel IS NOT AIR CONDITIONED. Not that you need it in May, but possibly later in the summer.

If you plan on staying here I would think it best to check with the hotel directly to see what your room will be like (a/c or not) and if there is food and beverage available BEFORE YOU BOOK.

Room Tip: Check with the otel before booking.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kaykeey
Reviewed November 22, 2011

short stay needed more the staff was so accomadating and the restaurant was wonderful. Moose Lounge was great Friday and Saturday night after dinner, Dylan is a fantastic bartender and he will keep the conversation fun.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple