“Sweet little place in Highlands”

Main Street Inn Highlands
Ranked #5 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2007

The Main Street Inn is a very decent place to stay in Highlands, NC. By decent I mean not luxurious, but certainly a very comfortable and nice inn, with good value for the price.

We ended up at the Inn after having stayed another night at a crusty place down the street, and having looked at another B&B in the area. I figured that Highlands wasn't as high-end as I had heard because it seemed that the accomodations I saw around town weren't of the caliber I'd seen in other resort areas.

I was very pleasantly surprised, then, to walk into the Main Street Inn. The common area is a nice mix of the old inn look and modern furnishings. The owner greeted us and couldn't have been nicer and more accomodating. He offered to show us the rooms that were available and answered all of our questions (especially those of my mother-in-law, who is pretty persnickety) with grace and charm.

We were offered deluxe and basic rooms, and said we'd be fine with standard offerings as we'd only be staying for one night. The rooms Gary showed us were freshly painted, smelled and looked clean, and had high ceilings and sweet little balconies with rocking chairs on them. We decided on the spot that the accomodations would be just fine and took those rooms. The rooms were even discounted from $165 to $125 as a walk-in rate, which was a great value for this area.

Our rooms were in the guest building, behind the main inn. I don't know how the other rooms are, so of course I'll only speak to ours. They were on the small side, though quite comfortable for me and my 6'4" husband, and fit a queen sized bed, wooden bench, dresser and nightstand. The bathrooms, although on the vintage side of things (I mean age, not just look) were quite clean and freshly painted.

The furnishings were basic, not like some of the lovely antiques or chi-chi stuff you'll see in many other inns, but they served their purpose just fine. The sheets and towels, though not of the highest caliber I've seen at other fine inns and hotels, were heads and tails above most regular hotels. Same goes for the sheets.

Breakfast, included in the room rate, was fabulous. It was served buffet style and had two types of scrambled eggs, grits, Belgian waffles, cinnamon buns, biscuits, fruit salad and other goodies. Yum! We didn't feel hungry again until almost 3:00 that afternoon!

To sum it up, the Main Street Inn is very comfortable and convenient place to stay while you're in Highlands. I only give "Excellent" reviews to the most luxurious places I've stayed, hence the "Above Average" review here. But if I ever come back to Highlands, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank kikiroo
There are newer reviews for Main Street Inn Highlands

Reviewed May 1, 2007

We arrived at the Main Street Inn right at afternoon tea. The Bed and breakfast was built in 1885 and has been restored to its original farm house style. We stayed in the "The Owners Quarters" – the room had a king bed, a balcony where my husband smoked and we sat for afternoon tea, an antique tub big enough for two and a walk-in shower. The room was gorgeous. The Inn itself was cozy and quaint and being located on Main street made walking to dinner or shopping really nice. The town of Highlands is adorable. Little antique shops an ice cream polar with home made chocolates and art galleries all in a mountain setting.
Breakfast the first morning was scrambled eggs with broccoli and cheese or plain served with grits, bacon, fruit and home made banana nut bread. Breakfast was excellent; everything was fresh. The second morning was Saturday, so the breakfast was buffet style and it was scrumptious. Scrambled eggs, western omelets, fresh fruit, banana nut bread, sticky buns, pancakes with strawberries, bacon, and varieties of juices and tea.
My only complaint with the Inn was that the TV was not able to support a portable DVD player. It had wireless internet and a very basic TV.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank AstridWilson
Reviewed September 28, 2006

My room was extremely small, in serious need of repair, and VERY expensive. When I arrived at 4PM, the room was not ready even though there appeared to be no other guest staying at the inn. The owner stated that he was new and eventually was able to get the room made-up and check me in. He stated that the previous owners had just sold the inn to him during the previous month and he was trying to get things organized. About an hour later, he left the inn. From all indications, the inn was totally empty - no one in the lobby - not a sound from the kitchen - not a car in the lot. The owner reappeared in time for breakfast the next morning. Breakfast was quite good - served by two latin ladies who, although pleasant, seemed to speak no English. In retrospect, I should have left as soon as I saw the room and never stayed the night. A fair price for this inn (with current condition and management) would be about $39/night.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EENG
Reviewed May 25, 2006

My husband and I just got back from the Main Street Inn and it was a really great place. The rooms were immaculate and were well appointed. Antiques and wonderful bedding filled the room. We stayed in room #5 which had a sitting area . We looked in some other rooms that were vacant and they were all really lovely. You might want to consider if your room is in the front of the house or not because in season, you might hear traffic towards the front of the house (FYI). Our room was quiet, but it wasn't high season yet. Also, you should be aware that there is no central AC . They have units in each room, so that might also be a consideration for someone (a little noisy, but not too bad). The breakfast was sensational!! The inn is also very centrally located. The only negative I have is that the owner was not exactly the most hospitable. He never asked if we needed help when trying to pick a restaurant and he actually never even introduced himself to us. The first thing he asked for when we arrived was our credit card for the balance of the room. Not exactly a good first immpression, but if it weren't for that situation, I would highly recommend the Main Street Inn. Great town with great shops and restaurants also.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank BZSooz
A TripAdvisor Member
Murphy, NC
Reviewed May 6, 2006

We just returned from a night at the Main Street Inn. The place was very clean, the breakfast was delicious. The owners are wonderful hosts. Great location, right in town. I highly recommend this B & B.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2006

We spent six days and five nights at the Main Street Inn during the summer of 2005. The Innkeepers, Jan & Farrel were very accomodating, friendly and provided outstanding service and a very relaxing week in those beautiful mountains. If you're considering a mountain trip we highly recommend Highlands, N.C. and the Main Street Inn Bed & Breakfast as you will not be disappointed. The breakfasts are outstanding, the rooms very clean and the hospitality second to none. We enjoyed our experience so much that we've all ready booked another week for the summer of 2006. There is so much to do in the Highlands area. After touring and shopping during the day you will welcome your beautiful room in this Inn and all the fine restaurants in the Highlands area. We're all ready looking forward to our return trip this summer.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank Raymond007
Reviewed March 12, 2006

My wife and I booked the "Owners Quarters", a nice spacious retreat on the second floor in the back of the original house. We found the accomodations exceptionally clean and comfortable. The innkeeper's were very friendly and helpful with information about the town. The location is very good, situated on a hill above Main street. Excellent dining and shopping is well within walking distance. The innkeeper was very knowledgeable as to choosing a restaurant and even phoned in our reservations for us. We had two breaksfasts at the inn and both meals were very good with a nice buffet selection. The food is home cooked southern style with a touch of flair. Sure, you might hear some traffic and the sounds of daily life outside, but we wouldn't expect a soundproof room in a 100 year old inn. Nights were very quiet, Highlands seems very low key and safe. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found nothing dissapointing. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank georgianativeZ4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
Highlands Inn
#5 of 7 in Highlands
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Main Street Inn Highlands? Share your experiences!