“Wonderful accommodations!”

Ranked #4 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Athens, Georgia
“Wonderful accommodations!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Half Mile Farm to celebrate my husband's birthday. We could not have been more pleased with our experience. It is a charming inn in the country, very quiet and peaceful. The accommodations are beautiful and comfortable. The staff, especially Jason, is excellent. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and we hope to come back many more times.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kate M, Owner at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind review! It's wonderful to hear how much you and your husband enjoyed your visit. We're happy that we could make his birthday a little more special. Jason will be delighted by the compliment, so I will make sure he sees this. We hope to see you again soon!

Kate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Inn at Half Mile Farm continues to lavish its guests (new and returning) with understated luxurious warm hospitality. My wife and I recently stayed and were fortunate enough to enjoy a fabulous wine dinner as part of the weekend package. Dinner and the weekend stay was as enjoyable as sipping a great wine by the fire with friends. And indeed that was certainly a part of the weekend. As returning guests through the years we continue to make IHMF our go to mountain destination for relaxation, renewal and fond memories. Kate, Wendy, Carol and Jason create a wonderful environment for their guests which lack for nothing the entire time you are there. Breakfast’s, evening hors d’ouevers dinner’s (when offered) are fit for foodies and compliment well the fine fare available in Highlands along with the fun shops and adventure near at hand in the surrounding mountains. Another great stay at a Highlands gem.

Room Tip: We have been fortunate enough to visit the Inn a number of times over many years, there is not a bad...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FreqGATraveler
Kate M, Owner at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you so much for the incredibly kind review. "understated luxurious warm hospitality" — I couldn't have said it better myself! It means the world to us to hear how much you and your wife have enjoyed visiting us through the years. And rest assured, the feeling is mutual. Please do visit us again soon.

Regards,
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed December 6, 2012

If you're looking for a peaceful stay with pampering that makes you feel like you're the only guest, this is it! We just celebrated our 2nd Thanksgiving in Highlands, and once again, we chose The Inn at Half Mile Farm. Going from the beach at home to the mountains of Highlands brings us a whole other side of nature. The views at the Inn are so breath-taking that sitting on the porch can easily turn into the afternoon's activity...so much quiet reflection gained there. From the fresh baked cookies and evening hors d'oeuvres to the gourmet breakfasts, we looked forward to the chef's incredible creations! Along with great food, the indulgent touches of plush robes, soaking tub and pillow mints, left us feeling completed spoiled. Definitely take advantage of the nearby "zip lining" adventure too! We love this place -- tweet it to all your friends -- it is truly beautiful!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Maryann M
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
You might be on to something, Maryann—what better way to give thanks than by spending the holiday amid beautiful mountain views, surrounded by friends and family! We couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and that you were able to experience true relaxation on the porch. Thank you very much for the fabulous review. We'd love to have you back again soon!

Cheers,
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This review comes on the “better late than never” theory. My wife and I stayed at the Inn in June of 2011 (not 2012). But my initial introduction to the Inn was in November 2010, when I visited the Inn during Highlands Culinary Weekend with a friend. I immediately fell in love with the property – from the beautiful main house, to the courtyard, to the rolling lawns, and down to the picturesque lake. Neither my friend nor I had ever been there, and we asked Kate if it might be possible to see any of the rooms. She was extraordinarily nice, checked her computer to ensure she was going to show us to an unoccupied room, and let us take a look. As an aside, my friend had made “reservations for two” for that evening’s Culinary Weekend event, and when Kate showed us through the main house, we walked through the dining room, and we happened to see name cards for Mr. “Smith” (my friend) and MRS. Smith. Whoops! Kate fixed that for us. The property was so beautiful, and the staff my friend and I encountered so friendly, that I knew I had to come back with my wife.

When she and I were deciding on a vacation spot, where else would she want to go after hearing my rave reviews about this indescribably beautiful Inn? So we spent five days there in June 2011. We were made to feel like this was “home” from the moment we arrived. When I made the reservations, I did so on the Internet. I didn’t realize it at the time, but they had a special at that time where if you stay three nights, you get the fourth for some discount. When we checked out, Kate mentioned that and told us that the discounts aren’t offered through the website, but that we should call to make reservations. Even though I had made the reservations through the Internet, and even though I didn’t even know about the discount, Kate deducted the discount from our stay anyway. What a pleasant surprise!

Our room was in the main house. The stairs and floorboards had a few squeaks, adding to the charm (the squeaks are not loud or in any way a negative; my point is that there is CHARACTER in this wonderful house). But when we walked into our room, we could each feel our day-to-day tension melt away. The bed was comfortable, the room well appointed, and the bathroom cozy. The chef (I think his name was Jason) cooked a spectacular series of breakfasts during our stay, and we also were able to spend some time talking to him and enjoying his company. Not only did the Inn’s accommodations, breakfasts, and wine and hors d’oeurves exceed our expectations, but Kate was also helpful in recommending restaurants, a whitewater rafting trip (on the Chatooga), and spa so my wife could get a massage.

My wife and I decided to enjoy Culinary Weekend together this year, and naturally our choice of where to stay was an easy one. When I called to make the reservation a few weeks ago, Kate asked me if we had any dietary restrictions. I said no, but Kate responded, “I sense some hesitation.” I then mentioned that my wife was trying to avoid gluten, but that it wasn’t critical, and Kate said that she would note that for the chef and see if he could oblige her. Kate also pointed out the different rooms we had available, and we elected to stay in the same room in the main house (even though, as Kate pointed out, there was another room with a fireplace and deck available for the same price). We fell in love with the room last year, and when you find a good thing ...

I typically don’t write reviews. But when I was checking online for directions so I could estimate how long a drive it will be for us, I had an ad for TripAdvisor pop up, and I clicked on it. I was pleased to see so many positive reviews. But like so many people, I decided to check out the less than stellar reviews. I was shocked at those few negative reviews and can only note that there are invariably some people who will find issue and mischaracterize events and other people. I have been extremely impressed with the courtesy and treatment received. I can say from my experiences there, whether just to check out the property on that initial visit, for Culinary Weekend (twice now), to stay with my wife for our annual vacation, or talking to Kate on the phone, I have not in my 46 years encountered a more wonderful venue for a romantic, relaxing, refreshing, memorable trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BRLenox
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
"We could each feel our day-to-day tension melt away" — that's exactly what we aim for! We can't describe how gratifying it is to hear such kind words, especially since you don't often write reviews. Thank you for making an exception. We can't wait to see you for Culinary Weekend 2012! The South American Wine Dinner is going to be amazing!!!

Warm regards,
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have enjoyed the Inn at Half Mile Farm for years now. They never disappoint us. Their breakfasts are awesome! They are very nice and helpful. The appetizers and wine in the evening are wonderful as well as the atmosphere with a fire. Thank you so much for everything you all do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
It's always nice to welcome back a friendly face! We couldn't be happier to hear how much you've enjoyed your time with us over the years. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to enhance your next stay! Until then, thank you for taking the time to leave such kind words.

Best,
Belmont
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had an ideal lodging experience. The staff and management at the Inn at Half Mile Farm simple know how to do it right! The accommodations provided everything you wanted, when, where and how you would want it. I wouldn't have changed a thing about our room or the Inn common spaces. Some "mountain" retreats trend too folksy or try too hard and end up too formal and stuffy. This was neither. The room and common areas were luxurious and comfortable, sophisticated and tasteful. But the real thing that sets this place so far and above all others is the service! The staff is friendly and attentive. Fresh homemade cookies all day. An evening wine and hors d'ouevres hour that you actually want to schedule your day around attending and a gourmet breakfast that is both filling, comforting and YUMMY. I've never put much worth into amenities such as a turn down service, an evening wine and treat hour, or even a breakfast, but when they are handled with such care in their planning, professionalism in their execution and quality in their production, they are SO worthwhile. Simply put, this inn is simply the best.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
We have always believed that the little things make the biggest impact. Happy hour, turn down service and home-made cookies are just the thing to transform a good stay into a great one! We couldn't be happier to know how much you enjoyed your time here in Highlands — there's no better place to absorb the majestic beauty of the mountains. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers. We hope to welcome you back next year!

Regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 15, 2012

In 50+ years of traveling (literally) around the world from small b & b to top hotels...this was one of the best establishments I have ever stayed in! The level of beauty, cleanliness, food and especially detail can only be rivaled by every employee who can not work hard enough (and sincere) to make your stay nothing less than perfect. Most will spend money to prove how perfect their place is. These humble, warm, professional people leave no detail to chance. If you want to go where your blood pressure will go down by 20 points, where you will be treated as if you spent 5x the price and just have an absolute wonderful time..The Inn at Half Mile is your place.. If only there was a rating of "perfect"...this would be it!

Room Tip: sorry...no bad rooms here..
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Wow! I can not accurately express how gratifying it is to receive such high praise, especially considering your years of travel. We sincerely could not have asked for a better review! Thank you very much for taking the time to write it. Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything we can do to enhance your next stay!

Warm regards,
Kate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality? Share your experiences!