All reviewshiram and matthewred thunderget awaymy husband and ieach morningmountain topsunset viewhiking trailspicnic lunchscaly mountainhelpful hostsadirondack chairsmountain experiencegourmet breakfastminute driveperfect mountainhighlands area
Reviewed August 10, 2018

For those travelers with discerning taste, please beware this inn.

My wife and I booked 3 nights (over $1K) in the Laurel treehouse room for our 36th anniversary. Our experience was:

Accommodations:
Contrary to the online pictures, the room is very small, even cramped with a tiny bathroom and a 3X3 shower stall. Inadequate shelving and storage in the bath plus a very small pedestal sink complete the picture. The highly touted wrap around deck is nothing more than a small 3 ft. walkway with a corner table and 2 dirty chairs with a small sunset view through the trees. The boardwalk leading to the room was narrow and very slippery when wet.

Food:
Breakfast and the 1 dinner we had here were very good. Prepared by Matthew, everything was well seasoned and cooked to perfection. Hint: even though wine is supposedly included with the (expensive) prix fixe dinner, if you really enjoy wine, you should bring your own bottle.

Service:
Service was dismal. In a nutshell, we can be insulted and berated at home for free so yes, we booked 3 nights but left after 2 with no refund.

Overall, based on our experience and the price we paid, there are far better choices in the Highlands area.

Again, for those travelers with discerning taste, please beware this inn.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chattanooga_9
Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

Fire Mountain rolls out the red carpet in a manner that even some 5-star boutique hotels I’ve stayed in could never touch. From an in-depth checkin, to the personal yet private manner by which your stay is handled, this gem of a place deserves your stay. Cooked fresh breakfasts, majestic views, and being surrounded with the best of nature’s splendor are just a few of their amenities. Though we didn’t try the spa, the quiet and serene within the entire property promises a likely just as wonderful experience. The Highlands area features high-end shopping and golfing for those interested in getting out and about. There are restaurants and eclectic markets to get lost in. Several natural areas featuring trails for hiking, waterfalls and animal watching are a short distance away. A 25min ride into Franklin features all of what most would be familiar with in terms of eateries and shopping, but once you get to Fire Mountain you’d be hard pressed to find an excuse to leave. The proprietors are always available to answer questions and give suggestions, but pride themselves on providing exemplary privacy during your stay.

Do not come here looking for radios and internet connections. There are none!! Even your best attempts and boosting a signal will likely fail. Toss that phone aside, sit out on your porch and enjoy the sights and sounds of solitude.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Fire_Mountain, Owner at Fire Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Shawn and Monte,

Thanks you for sharing your experience at Fire Mountain so others can really see what our Mountaintop Hideaway is all about, a serene and peaceful mountaintop getaway. We hope you and Monte will be back for another stay. We have many more magical places for you to visit here in the Highlands.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed July 30, 2018

Fire Mountain Inn is one of the most wonderful places I have ever had the privilege to experience. I stayed for 3 nights in Red Thunder this past week. The views from my room and the property are truly spectacular. The property is beautifully presented, maintained and aesthetically stunning! My room was simply gorgeous, the bed; super comfortable, bathroom; ridiculously luxurious. Not at all what I expected to find in the "mountains.' i loved that there were no fridges, tv nor ac units in the room, simply not needed. They provide ice and coolers should you need and in each room there is an ice bucket, glasses and bottle opener. I also dined like a king here. The food is lovingly and artistically prepared by Matthew using only the best locally sourced and in season produce. Probably the highest quality dining experience you will have in the area, breakfast, lunch or dinner. I was traveling alone and not familiar with the area, both Hiram and Matthew took great care each day to advise me on hiking trails and things to do during my day. This is a very special place. Somewhere you are really treated to "southern hospitality' at it's finest, I can also recommend indulging in a massage in their relaxing spa room. I will not hesitate to return (hopefully sooner rather than later!) with my husband, family and friends or by myself again. An absolute find!!

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo

Dear Natasha

We are so glad you enjoyed the Red Thunder accommodation in the Inn with its 2 person soaking tub, simple but elegant décor and amazing views. It was a pleasure to guide you through your stay and share all that the Blue Ridge Mountains have to offer. We truly enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

What a great weekend in a truely magical place. They have done an awesome job creating such a relaxing zen experience. Definitely plan to go back again!! Had marvelous breakfast both days and stayed in for a delicious meal one night. So glad that we didn’t bother driving in to highlands after a busy day. The massages were superb as well. Can’t say enough good things about this gem

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. We are so glad you enjoyed our cuisine at Fire + Water and took advantage of our fantastic massage services that Anna provides. We hope you will return soon and experience more of the magic!!

Sincerely

Reviewed July 29, 2018

My husband and I were looking for a beautiful, relaxing retreat to take a break from our hectic lives. We found Fire Mountain Inn online and it turned out to be exactly what we needed! We stayed in the Cullasaja cabin and loved every minute. The owners were very welcoming and gave us lots of information on the best places to visit in Highlands. Also, the restaurant is AMAZING! We would have eaten every meal there.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong.. all the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Donna & Joe,

We are so glad you found our mountaintop hideaway for a relaxing retreat. We are so glad you enjoyed breakfast at Fire + Water and we hope you will join us for dinner on your next visit.