“A much needed break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Durham, North Carolina
“A much needed break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was a guest at Fire Mountain last week. I had originally reserved one of the treehouse rooms but found out upon arrival that the power was out to the building. I was greeted by Hiram and he made me feel very welcome. I was given another room in the inn. The room, Red Thunder, was wonderful. The balcony faced west and I had wonderful views of the sunset. The bed was super comfortable as was the loveseat in sitting area. I felt like I was in someone's guest room at home and not at a "hotel". The staff is wonderful. They were attentive without being over the top. The only thing I didn't like was having to wait until 8:30 to get my morning coffee. Hiram and Matthew were very helpful in giving me ideas for things to do in the area but the best part was enjoying the peace and quiet of the inn.

Room Tip: If you want to prepare some of your own meals or want a coffee maker or refrigerator try one of the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Northampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

What a great place! We were greeted with an upgraded room since it wasn't full, and had two patios with views of rows of mountains fading into the distance. A quiet, beautiful place. Wonderful furniture, great bed, and art everywhere, including the guest rooms. Good breakfasts. Great advice. But then to top it off, my husband got lost on a hike (not due to any advice from Fire Mountain), and Hiram and Matthew were available by cell phone to help even though they were dealing with a medical emergency that took them to the hospital. They certainly went above and beyond! And were gracious all the way through.

Room Tip: I suspect any room is delightful. Sathola was great.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

After getting a last minute call from another reservation which suffered storm damage, I called Fire Mountain at the last minute and, luckily, a cabin was available. We hopped in the car and drove up to Fire Mountain. It had been a few very stressful months for us, but as soon as we got to our cabin, we started feeling some of the stress drop off. After only one day, it was like we had never known what stress even means.

What a relaxing place! What a treat! The cabin could use some updates (carpet, bathroom and kitchenette were outdated), but it was clean, the bed was comfy, the fireplace was amazing, the views are absolutely incredible, and I could just do absolutely nothing but read, sleep and watch the glorious sunset...

The best part of it was the staff. They were super nice and friendly without being over the top. I felt like they took care of a lot of things without it being obvious.

We got great tips for where to hike, but we were not in a hiking mood so we just saw a few waterfalls in the area, which were awesome. The breakfast was delicious too!!!

Room Tip: Cabins offer the most privacy, we really enjoyed having our own fire place.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband and I spent last weekend at Fire Mountain Inn (Sathola room at the Inn) and it was fabulous. We lucked out with perfect weather so we had great views and were able to spend a few hours just gazing out at the beautiful mountains. It's a really peaceful retreat from everyday life. The Sathola has a fireplace in the room which is really nice in the evenings -- and there are decks on both sunrise & sunset sides of the room. We also did a few great hikes that are not too far away (and Hiram and Matthew will give you all the info you need to plan your day) and saw some really pretty waterfalls. Definitely a great weekend get-away!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My partner surprised me with a weekend trip to Fire Mountain for my birthday. He picked the perfect place. The mountain views (including from our cabin, Blue Moss) were breathtaking and the tranquil surroundings were exactly what we needed to recover from the hectic pace of our lives in the city. We lucked out with beautiful weather, and I had fun exploring some of the hiking trails on the Fire Mountain grounds. We got wonderful massages, which made the visit that much more luxurious. It was a short (and scenic) drive into Highlands, where we went shopping, saw beautiful waterfalls, and had a delicious birthday dinner. At Fire Mountain, we had breakfast delivered to our room each day. My partner forgot to mention that I'm vegan when he made the reservation, but the Fire Mountain staff bent over backwards to accommodate me, and I was never left hungry! Matthew also helped us quickly resolve a problem with a broken toilet. He had it fixed within minutes and apologized for the inconvenience. The cabin itself was very comfortable, with a porch swing, an amazing jacuzzi, and a great fireplace. The night sky was incredible. I hope that we can return to Fire Mountain soon!

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

After speaking to Hiram prior to booking our stay, we knew we found the perfect place to spend our much needed time off. We knew we wanted to find somewhere where peace and quiet were a priority. Fire Mountain offered this, and so much more. Our exceptional room, the Satohla, offered long ranged views of both sides of the (snowy) mountain and a great space to perfect our fire-making skills for our cozy evenings. What a wonderfully spiritual atmosphere. Nature at it's finest, and hospitality comparable to any five star luxury hotel. Breakfast was a "foodies" delight, and was served by the fire in a room with a spectacular view of the mountains. At Matthews recommendation, we had a wonderful massage in the gallery of the Inn. David is a great masseuse, and adds a unique touch to the Fire Mountain experience. Thank you for delivering just what you promised, and all that we needed. Can't wait to be back on the mountain. Elise & Patricia.

Room Tip: The Satohla is spacious, comfortable, and offers the most vivid views of the mountains.
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband & I were looking for an upscale mountain resort with beautiful views to 'kick back' from our hectic lifestyles for a couple of days. We found all of this (and more!) at Fire Mountain Inn. The chalet we stayed in is called the Red Thunder room, with breathtaking views of Fire Mountain - it really DOES look like it's on fire at sunset! We had our own private balcony to sit and watch the sun go down. The room is spotless, with beautiful wood floors and trim. Wood lined bathroom with a large stand alone tub, and European fixtures. A beautiful breakfast was served while you are seated by candlelight in front of large windows, so you can enjoy the views. There is an easy flow from being indoors to outdoors because of the open concept decor. Hiram, our host, is fairly particular about how you care for his property, which is to your advantage. This helps to make things run smoothly, and keeps a high standard of maintainance. Hiram took a lot of one on one time with us as a couple, giving us a background history of the area & landscape. He seemed to really want to ensure that our time at Fire Mountain was throughoughly enjoyable - and it was! Don't miss going on a hike to one of the beautiful falls nearby! Worth it!! Also went to the town of Dillard to have a real southern family style lunch at Dillard House - I've never seen so much food for just two people (we took half of it home with us and ate it for supper!) There is a lovely, upscale town nearby called Highlands, which reminded us of Niagara-On-The-Lake in Ontario, Canada. Small specialty shops and very good restaurants. We had a wonderful time and left feeling refreshed. Thanks, Hiram!

Room Tip: Would have liked to stay in one of the 'Treetop' rooms, but they were closed for the winter...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,127 reviews
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Fire Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!