“Fourth trip to Fire Mt but first time with the kids”
Review of Fire Mountain Inn

Fire Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
ATL
“Fourth trip to Fire Mt but first time with the kids”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We decided to pack the van up with our three kids (11 yo boy and 8 yo twin girls) and dog for a no-electronics Spring Break . We were at Fire Mountain 2 hours and 15 minutes later. We rented the Hemlock, which is the largest cabin on the property. It has two bedrooms with bathrooms, and a large kitchen and living area. There's a huge stone fireplace, which took the place of our large-screen TV at home. The jacuzzi on the back deck was a great source of entertainment, and was ready for our use immediately upon arrival, which is what the kids decided to do while we settled in. The deck faces east, so we had a fantastic sunrise view, and then had evening shade. We prefer to cook in, and found the kitchen very well equipped with all we needed, incuding a water bowl and some dog biscuits for the pup. We did eat out once --- Brick Oven Pizza, about 12 minutes or so from Fire Mt. The kids loved the "ranch pizza" (made with ranch dressing, go figure, it was tasty). We also had some treat awating us --- some chocolate-covered cherries, of which I had one-half of one (greedy children). Also some homemade granola in a canning jar, which we are still nibbling on. The bedrooms each had a king bed and a twin bed. Very handy and comfortable cabin all the way around.

We had breakfast delivered to our cabin, which I really recommend doing at least once -- it's all packed up in a picnic basket, and very hot and ready to eat upon arrival, which we designated. It is an extra expense to have it delivered, but we like to do it once during our stays.

The kids really enjoyed the grounds of Fire Mountain, and they took the dog and went exploring while we had relaxing afternoons on the deck. As a bonus, the kids loved feeding the horses on the adjoining property. Everything was beginning to bloom and just so gorgeous. (This is my third review, so I am trying not to repeat myself, so please see my previous for more details about my total satisfaction!)

Thanks again go to the Innkeepers, Hiram and Mathew -- their vast knowledge of everything Highlands (the hiking, the road conditions, the restaurants) always make our visits extra special.

We wanted to stay longer, as usual. I was apprehensive about the kids actually enjoying four days with no electronics. I shouldn't have worried! They didn't want to leave any more than I did! We are already planning to return for Memorial Day (while the kids visit Granmpa and Grandpa!)

Room Tip: Hemlock was perfect for a family and a dog!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We recently traveled to Fire Mountain to celebrate my wife's birthday. I was seeking a unique place and I found it in Fire Mountain. Matthew was there to greet us and show us around and was very helpful throughout our too brief stay. Our room was perfect--floor-to-ceiling glass on two sides so we had both the sunrise and sunset from our sofa. The fireplace added a romantic touch and all I had to do was light it. We spent most of our time on the Fire Mountain grounds and felt the spirit of place. It was peaceful, beautiful, relaxing, and spiritual. The vistas were breathtaking. We did not want to leave and we can hardly wait to retutn. Matthew and Hiram, thanks for a memorable experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We recently visited Fire Mountain to celebrate our anniversary and we had a wonderful experience there! Hiram and Matthew were extremely inviting and helpful. Our stay there was peaceful, quiet, relaxing and we really enjoyed beautiful mountain views from the balcony of our room! We stayed in Red Thunder and I would definitely recommend that room. We actually got upgraded to that room when we arrived and we are so glad that we did! We really enjoyed the delicious breakfast that we got each morning and the staff was so attentive and nice. It was truly a relaxing escape and made for a special anniversary weekend. We would love to stay at Fire Mountain again!

Room Tip: Red Thunder has great mountain views and watching the sunset from that room is spectacular!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Fire Mountain is like no other place in our conscious existence…a haven where we literally feel our worries and stresses melt away…a place where noise, clutter and waste are replaced by peace, simplicity and respect.

We are multiple repeat guests @ Fire Mountain and every visit somehow tops the previous. Shortly after we met we decided to take a trip together; fortunately we were beyond blessed to find Fire Mountain. Without the noise and distractions of our lives, we explored each other’s souls and we discovered more about ourselves in those few days than we had in years. A few years later, on that same happy hill, my girlfriend became my fiancé…a feeling that I cannot describe with words. And now we’ve returned as wife and husband, wondering all the while what might’ve become if we hadn’t afforded ourselves the chance to honestly learn about each other, together, years ago at this special place…our favorite place.

There’s a song we sing to each other:

When the sun runs out and there's no one to save you,
Will you go to our favorite place and try to say goodbye?
At the end of, at the end of the world,
Will you find me, will you find me?
At the end of, at the end of the world,
Will you find me so that we can go together, together, together…

When that time comes, my wife and I know where to find each other…

Chris

1 Thank GTjacket02
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Fire Mountain is definitely the most unique place I have ever stayed. You are truly away from it all. By far the most positive comment I can make is about the staff. Everyone we came in contact with, specifically Matt, went out of their way to ensure we were having an enjoyable stay. Customer service is top notch here. The breakfasts each day were excellent and the view was remarkable. If you are looking to recharge your batteries and be pampered this is definitely the place to make it happen.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I believe that the best and most complete thing I can say about Fire Mountain and THIS STAY is that they are DEPENDABLE. I’m a multi-repeat visitor, and I’ve posted high praise before.

An earlier posting is at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g49215-d262981-r91563211-Fire_Mountain_Inn-Highlands_North_Carolina.html, and I’d write the same things today.

For THIS trip, I wanted to KNOW what to expect, and my expectations were again delightfully met.

Read the large number of very favorable reviews here. They are very believable, based on my several visits. No, they’re not the cheapest option, but the best won’t be the cheapest. Fire Mountain is exactly what it says it is.

The retreat is a delight, as are the hosts. I’ll be back…

Room Tip: Study the website, trust it. Cabins, Tree Houses, the Inn...all distinctly different. CALL and ask q...
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Once again, we had a lovely new years weekend at our favorite cabin at fire mtn inn. After a busy holiday, how wonderful to be quiet and still and reflect on the past year and dream of the one to come. My husband and I laid by the fire, read and napped. Excellent accommodations and most gracious hosts, we look forward to our next visit....

• Stayed December 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Fire Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!