“Alright in a sort of a limited way for an off night...”

The Ugly Dog Pub-Highlands
Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: The Ugly Dog Pub is a casual pub with food, beer, wine and mixed drinks. A great place to come meet friends or make friends. We feature Trivia Tuesday nights, Bluegrass music on Wednesdays and regional bands on Friday or Saturday nights. We also show sports on TV and special events to keep it fun. We are a relaxed place, so come on in and take a seat, or walk up to the bar and order a drink and something to eat. Hope to see you soon! We are open: Mon. 4pm - until Tues. thru Sun. 11:30 am - until
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Went with friends on a Monday evening.

I'd driven past a few times but didn't feel like fighting the dense crowds I'd seen. For better or worse, last Monday was far from packed. We weren't greeted, so we made our way to an alcove with comfy bench seating. The first server we encountered was clearly stressed and looked at us with pieteous frustration when she realized she had another table. She didn't even bother to fake friendliness when she brought us menus.

Happily, we were bumped to another server who was great.

She took our order with aplomb and, shortly, we were presented with some great looking food.

My friend's smoked chicken caesar was great, my cheeseburger was delicious, but the standout was my other friend's fish wrap. The fish was perfectly fried and everything else just worked.

I'll be back to sample the rest of the menu.

Would be 5 stars if not for the unpleasant server and the fact that my burger was a bit overcooked.

2  Thank DrSeventies
Kay C, Owner at The Ugly Dog Pub-Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2015

Thank you so much for coming in! I am so glad your evening with us was a good one and I hope that we will become a part of all your Highlands vacations!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

A fun place to meet, greet and eat... oh and of course have a pint or two. They have great bands on Wednesday and Saturday nights. It is loved by all visitors and locals alike.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We did not eat at the Ugly Dog so we can't say anything about the food. However, we had an absolute ball at the Wednesday night Blue Grass party complete with locals doing the Mountain Clog.

1  Thank UncleLarry S
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I recommend The Ugly Dog Pug for great sandwiches and a great bar. My last visit on 7-21-14 was not up to par. Two of us stopped in after work at 6:30 to have Cuban sandwiches and a beer. We sat at the bar as the tables we all taken. The tall, dark haired young man behind the bar approached us and placed two small napkins on the bar which still had drink rings and fingerprints from the previous patrons. I've never met a bartender with less energy. My friend asked to sample one of the beers on tap before making a selection. The bartender slowly walked toward the taps and started waiting on other people. He finally came back with the sample and walked away again before we could taste it or order. We waited about five minutes and a woman bartender took our beer orders but no one wiped off the bar or brought a menu. I got up and found a menu midway down the bar. We waited several minutes for someone to take our order. The bar was not busy and several tables were now available. The sandwiches arrived and were very good, but no one asked how they were, if we wanted anything else or if we wanted another beer. The busser cleared the plates and we sat with two empty glasses until we waved at the woman bartender and asked for the check. The male bartender ignored us, never smiled or conversed with any patrons and seemed tired and hungover. This is a popular place but I guess the management is happy with subpar, lazy service.

2  Thank EarthGirl51

I am so sorry about the quality of service you received when you visited the pub! I hope that all of our servers are attentive and helpful and I have addressed this issue and hope that you will come back again soon.
Thank you so much for coming to the pub!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Ugly Dog has great atmosphere, choice/rotation in draft beers, and generally great service. The prices are a bit high though...however it is Highlands. We stopped by for a couple beers around 5pm on a Thursday and it was fairly calm inside, sat at the bar. Tab was $23 for four Sweetwater brews! Yikes! We didn't eat there this time, but the food is usually pretty good, but again, a little pricy.

1  Thank Nate C