“Great gastropub”

The Ugly Dog Pub-Highlands
Ranked #10 of 56 Restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: The Ugly Dog Pub is a casual pub with food, beer, wine and mixed drinks. A great place to come meet friends or make friends. We feature Trivia Tuesday nights, Bluegrass music on Wednesdays and regional bands on Friday or Saturday nights. We also show sports on TV and special events to keep it fun. We are a relaxed place, so come on in and take a seat, or walk up to the bar and order a drink and something to eat. Hope to see you soon! We are open: Mon. 4pm - until Tues. thru Sun. 11:30 am - until
Reviewed February 18, 2013

A laid back, contemporary pub. Great bar staff,flowed the fab food and an 80s theme night was a surprise! you must have the coleslaw!!!

10  Thank IlovetotrVel
Kay C, Owner at The Ugly Dog Pub-Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for coming in and I hope you come back soon!
Kay

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I arrived after dark in a place I'd never been. When I learned of the Ugly Dog Pub down the street, sounded good to me. I walked down with my book in hand to find a place loaded with TV's with the football playoff and lots of people. This did not prevent me from getting a seat, on my own, at a table, where I could read and watch the replays after the roar of the crowd indicating something to see on the screen. More noteworthy, perhaps, is that I went in the following day and was greeted by the waitress asking if I wanted the sweet tea without the lemon again -- excellent service for her to have remembered. Good Italian Panini one day followed by a burger the next. I recommend the blue cheese coleslaw.

8  Thank Smagacz

I am so glad you enjoyed the pub and I hope you will come back again soon!
Kay

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Joined a friend for lunch here because recommended by local. One server initially which was ok because not full of customers. Order was taken and drinks arrived. Room started filling with other customers while waiting on our hotdogs. 35 minutes later food was served-these were PLAIN hotdogs. Meat was tasty, but I think overpriced for hotdog on a bun. Luckily mustard was on table as waitress did not return. Had to find her to request check after meal had been finished for some time.
Although atmosphere was nice, not enjoyable for 1 1/2 hours!
Better choices in Highlands for lunch.
January 19, 2013

1  Thank Karen U
Kay C, Owner at The Ugly Dog Pub-Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

I am so sorry for for the slow service! I have spoken with the staff to please communicate with you, the customer, if there is going to be a problem with the speed of service. We are a casual pub, but the service should not have taken that long.
If you come back to Highlands please give us another try for lunch, dinner or night time entertainment .

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went there when we arrived in the Highlands.. we like this place with its cozy environment.. food is bar food, but you don't go there for a 5 Star meal.. nice staff and reasonably priced. Take a visit on your next visit to Highlands, NC

7  Thank Pistol77
Kay C, Owner at The Ugly Dog Pub-Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2015

Thank you for coming in and I am glad you had a good time!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went for lunch a few weeks ago while visiting the Highlands. Our server recommended a great seasonal beer. We had the fried green tomato App., pesto chicken sandwich with yummy blue chees cole slaw ( a must try! ), and pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. The food came out quickly and really was terrific! They smoke the chicken and it is out of this world. Only negative is after we were finished, server was SUPER slow in bringing our check. I think they were short staffed that day because he had almost all of the tables to take care of. After eating at several resturants in the Highlands over the years, this meal was one of the best!

6  Thank rowergirl1