“Destination Wedding Dinner”

Bistro on Main
Ranked #15 of 56 Restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bistro on Main offers a tempting selection of tasty salads, soups,entrees, and delectable desserts from 11:30 through the dinner hour, served either al fresco or in our charming dining room. We serve specialty cocktails, wine and beer, and on weekends feature outdoor live entertainment. Come, relax, and enjoy a berry and rosemary infused lemonade with a sidecar of your favorite top shelf vodka under the red umbrellas! Bistro on Main is the perfect spot for people watching and taking in the seasons in magical Highlands, North Carolina!
Reviewed August 31, 2013

As the 'Father of the Bride' I was apprehensive that our family could put together a dinner party for my daughter on such a short notice, however, Sheri and the staff couldn't have been more helpful attentive to my family and guests to make our evening a success.

When patience was running thin with the happy couples arrival after the photo time was dragging on, they showed their professionalism and made everyone feel welcome. Not that I want too, but if I was to have another wedding dinner, I'll do it again at the Main St. Inn in Highlands, NC.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

How good was it? We had lunch here two days in a row. The first day was outside and the second day was inside. The choice should be made only due to weather. Food was excellent and the staff was great. Will make sure to have another meal here when in Highlands.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

A colleague and I were in Highlands on business and chose the Bistro because of the outdoor dining space. It is on a hill overlooking downtown with a great ambiance.

I had high expectations for the food! Have you ever wanted so much for something to taste good? Yeah, that was me, and I could not have been more disappointed.

We started with drinks - UT and Lemonade. The lemonade was amazing, but it should be, they only serve it in a carafe and it cost $9.00. Believe me when I say I took two cups home!

We had the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer Crunchy but not really enough sauce to balance the breading.

I opted for the turkey, apple, and brie sandwhich with homemade chips and my co-worker opted for the grilled chicken salad. Both were a disappointment. The turkery and chicken are both processed meats, not fresh cut or grilled. The texture for the sandwhich was weird with the processed meat, although the apples and brie were both really good. Homemade chips were good as well, although I'm not sure how you can mess that up albeit bring them out cold. My friends salad was not very good - lacked flavor and the chicken again was processed.

Maybe it's high expectations, but when you pay as much as we did for this meal, you expect amazing flavor. It fell short.

Service was good however, which should be noted.

2  Thank CoachJTL
Reviewed August 22, 2013

GREAT, Chicken pot pie with an inventive puff pastry idea. FOOD, over all was quite good and served witha generous portion size.

HORRIBLE, iced-tea (but waitress promptly served another beverage)

Ridiculously difficult entrance, high step with hitching post instead of rail. Also dangerous public street rail that is about to fall over.

Warning to owner, litigation for lack of attentiveness for public-safety can be very expensive.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Dined here for a late lunch on a Saturday. There is a pleasant outdoor seating area, but we sat inside due to a rain storm. The inside is very attractive, open with a homey feel. It was no crowded by the time we arrived, so seating wasn't an issue. I did note we were seated on one side of a pool at a table for 2, with another table for 2 very close on the other side of the pole, so close it could have been used as a 4-top. I liked the surroundings, but found a few things that didn't fit the atmosphere: Ketchup and mustard were served in cheap plastic squeeze bottle brought to the table. Mayonnaise was brought in packets. Ice tea came unsweetened, but with no spoon or straw to stir the sweetener with.

We waited about 10 minutes for someone to acknowledge our presence at the table. Another server came by and got our drink orders, then our actual server came by twice to tell us she would get to us as soon as she could. I'm not sure what was occupying her there seemed to be few tables she was serving. She was inattentive at best.

I ordered a spinach, strawberry and onion salad with chicken. The salad was fresh and good. The added chicken was unseasoned, and tasted like the frozen processed chicken, not a fresh chicken breast that I would expect. My companion had a hamburger with red skinned potatoes. The burger had little taste. The potatoes were clearly homemade, but had no flavor.

It wasn't a bad experience, but not a place I would be in a hurry to try again.