“mixed reviews”

Bistro on Main
Ranked #15 of 56 Restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bistro on Main offers a tempting selection of tasty salads, soups,entrees, and delectable desserts from 11:30 through the dinner hour, served either al fresco or in our charming dining room. We serve specialty cocktails, wine and beer, and on weekends feature outdoor live entertainment. Come, relax, and enjoy a berry and rosemary infused lemonade with a sidecar of your favorite top shelf vodka under the red umbrellas! Bistro on Main is the perfect spot for people watching and taking in the seasons in magical Highlands, North Carolina!
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our light meal was excellent; around us people sent back into the kitchen soggy fries, incorrect wines. Pleasant wait staff. View from front porch is interesting--you'll see down the entire little main street.

1  Thank writingprof

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Food was mediocre, bloody Mary's were pretty much virgin, food was good, but service was lacking

Reviewed May 31, 2012

This place is just so-so. Service was not very good and the food not much better. The Buffalo Chicken salad promised blue cheese and celery, but only a few crumbs of each could be found. The turkey sandwich with apples and Brie was supposed to be on ciabatta, but was on some kind of soft roll and the apples tasted alot like the kind in cans of apple pie filling with the goop wiped off. The Brie was not quite melted. I'd never go back, nor would I recommend it.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I wish it was possible to give a place zero stars...can we fix that? This was one of the worst dining experiences I've had in a long time. After a long day of wedding set up in the beautiful mountains, my crew and I headed into town in search of some food. As one of the only places open at an earlier than usual dinner hour, we settled on Bistro on South Main. After a few moments we were seated by the hostess and there were still a few other couples enjoying a beer or glass of wine on the terrace, so we certainly weren't the only people there, but we were 3 of few.

As I looked around, I noticed that there were bottles of hand sanitizer at every table, as well as small "Reserved" signs, which weren't actually reserved signs at all....they were letting guests know that they had to see the hostess. So weird, and so unnecessary. *

*side note- when I asked the waitress why there was hand sanitizer she said it was because their bathrooms were too small (huh?) and their owner is a bit of a germaphobe.

We sat down and started to review the menu. About 3 servers passed our table, none of which offered to take our order, acknowledge us, or even bring us a glass of water on such a warm day. So we waited. and waited. and WAITED. Until I was finally so frustrated that I got up, walked into the kitchen, and got a random server (who decided we weren't her table) and asked her for water and service.

Shortly thereafter, she sent over our proper server who took our orders, but seemed completely uninterested in providing any service. I ordered the house salad with balsamic on the side, trout and a glass of wine and some water. My companions both ordered burgers (made with angus, and as mentioned on the menu and by our server, the chef will only cook them medium-well because they are a lower grade, not to mention the ONLY burger on the menu) and beer. We were told that they were out of Miller Light (I mean REALLY?!?) and out of the tuna(which none of us ordered)....did I mention we were there BEFORE the dinner service so how the heck could they have already run out? Someone needs to learn how to purchase correctly for their establishment-I'm looking at you Chef/Owner.

After asking for water AGAIN (and my companions never receiving any), my salad and water that tasted like it came from the toilet, emerged about 15 minutes later and that salad was the saddest looking thing I had EVER seen in my life. Bagged lettuce, two sad, little mealy tomatoes and a few shredded carrots with some bottled balsamic on the side. All served on- get this_ a plastic plate that made Correll look like fine China. It appeared to be salvaged from an old hospital or home for the aged. The salads at fast food joints look more appealing than that crappola.

When our meals finally came out I would have eaten dog food at that point because I was so starving, but our food was no more promising than the salad. For my order- two spears of frozen, microwaved broccoli, a slapped down scoop of over salted mashed potatoes, and sad trout that was cooked to death and as flat as a cracker. Folks, my dish was $19.00 and served on a plastic plate. Not a cute, kitchy plastic plate at an adorable little diner- a fake dinner China plastic plate at a place that believes it has French inspiration. Had I not had the hangries (so hungry you are angry) I would have sent my dinner back and asked to speak to the Chef.

The funniest part of the meal was how fast the server bused the table and got us the check - WELL before one of my companions had finished her meal, and before any of us had finished our drinks. She never asked us if we wanted more to drink, nor if we wanted dessert of coffee. I was EXTREMELY disappointed considering the sweet ambiance and gorgeous sunset. Ok Bistro on S. Main, I guess that earns you the one star- the weather, which you cannot even control. Everything else was complete crap.

2  Thank JaimieC783
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Do not know how a restaurant can make a salad be this bad....or why they would serve salads this bland and boring. It was like the salad came out of a bad and sat on the plate for a couple of hours waiting to be served.

2  Thank whiteoaks4