“Best Chicken Wings” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highlands Smokehouse - CLOSED

Highlands Smokehouse
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Highlands, North Carolina
“Best Chicken Wings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Went to the Smokehouse today specifically for their special on Chicken Wings (Tuesdays 50 a piece). They prepare them different from other restaurants. The wings are smoked which seems to remove some of the fat in the skin. Then upon order, they are deep fried and served any way you want for the sauce. We had ours on the side. Plan to go back again. We had had their ribs before. Nice clean atmosphere.

• Visited June 2014

Mentone, AL
“No. It was disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I was craving ribs, and I got to taste some really good ones. Aside from that....dried out corn pudding, very tough collards and the strangest cornbread I have ever eaten and I am a dyed in the wool Southern lady, several decades old, and would not call that cornbread. Our server was running around like a chicken with her head cut off. She was nice, and doing all she could and apologized for long wait, but they were very short staffed - very!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank carollyn50
Melbourne, Florida
“Has to one of my favorite places to eat - ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

When you walk in your greeted with a friendly face, the atmosphere is warm and the smells just wonderful. I eat here whenever I am in Western North Carolina, which is often. Never had a bad meal or bad service. The portions are plentiful and the selections are many. I had the chopped beef brisket sandwich as did my son. It had tons of meat and coleslaw on it. The bun was toasted just a bit to give it that nice little crunch. My daughter in law had the southern style nachos. The waitress recommended the half portion - good thing she did because the plate was overflowing! Our meal is rated a 5 out of 5. Bathrooms, clean. Dining room, clean. Bar area, clean. Waitress, friendly and helpful and very nice. I would highly recommend Highlands Smokehouse.

• Visited June 2014
Hamptonville, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very unprofessional staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Remember that commercial where the guy tells the waitress he ordered his sandwich w no mayo and she wipes it off on the table and hands it back to him? If this kind of service is what you want, eat at Highlands Smokehouse. I ordered bbq sliders w no slaw. When the waitress brought out my party's food, she said mine would be out shortly because they had to remake it since she forgot to tell the cook no slaw. When my plate finally arrived, I noticed the 3 sliders had only a tiny bit of pork on them, but I had never eaten here so I thought maybe that was their normal. When I bit into a large glob of coleslaw in the middle of one, I realized what they did. Instead of remaking my order, they attempted to scrape the slaw off the bun, removed the top pieces of pork, and sent them out. When the waitress came and asked how the food was, I pointed out that I did not want sandwichs with remnants of coleslaw. She said she could switch them out, but I told her to please just take them off our bill instead. First, any place w any pride in what they serve would not have done such a thing, and second, if they would do that, I certainly didn't want to take a chance on what they would do to my food for sending it back. Anyway, she came back and told me she took part of the price off the bill since I consumed part of the meal before I noticed what they did. All I can say is WOW. I have never had a restaraunt refuse to take something off of my bill when they messed up my order. I can't really say how good the food is, but it could be the best bbq in the world, and I wouldn't eat there again because of the terrible staff attitudes.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hopkinsa
Winder, Georgia
“Good, affordable dining in the Highlands”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

Highlands Smokehouse probably has the best value for your money. Compared to the other restaurants in the area that charge $10 for a salad that could be consumed in one mouthful, Highlands Smokehouse is affordable and you receive plenty of food. With parking in the back, you walk up the stairs past their smoker and are teased by the pleasant odors of cooked meats. The interior is charming with hardwood floors and ceilings. I had the ($12) Brisket plate, which was excellent. There was too much food for me to eat in one sitting. My wife had the ($11) Pulled Pork Plate. The meat was tender, and the pinkish-red ring from the smoke permeation and salt rubs containing sodium nitrite were beautifully visible. Again, she could not finish her meal in one sitting. Now, I give Highlands Smokehouse a 4/5 because, while it was very good, it was not the best BBQ I've had. It's a close second, and I would still highly recommend it to people living in and visiting Highlands, NC.
Overall, the food was good, plentiful, and at around $32 all together for two people (including drinks and an appetizer), I will be back.

1 Thank Brendon B