“Exceptionally Great Place To Dine”

Lakeside Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 54 Restaurants in Highlands
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“Exceptionally Great Place To Dine”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We travel a fair amount. We live in Florida but also have a home in North Carolina. In the last 24 years we have never been in the mountains without going to Lakeside Restaurant. It is approximately a 30 minute commute from our mountain home but the trip there is well worth our time. Marty, the owner/chef always comes out to talk to us. Both Marty and the entire staff are very personable. Marty is also an amazing chef. You must try the tomato florentine soup, the lamb chops, the duck, the buttermilk pie, as they are all staples on the menu and amazingly good. Last night my husband had the duck and it was prepared with a scrumptious bing-cherry sauce. I had fish that was a special on the menu, Snook, and it was out of this world.

Make your reservations and try to do them well in advance as it is a very sought place to dine.

• Visited June 2013
7 Thank C F

Richmond, Virginia, United States
“5 star food with down home friendly people.”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

On my first visit to the Highlands I was encouraged to make early reservations for this restaurant and I'm glad I did because it was booked for the whole weekend. Great food,wine,service, and quaint lake view. Best lamb I have ever had!

Visited June 2013
7 Thank Mary B
Greenville SC
“Always a Treat!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Lakeside is a major class restaurant and the personal service and small dining room makes you feel even more special. The food is ALWAYS excellent! There is absolutely no better Tomato Basil soup in the world. I think they "invented" it.

Visited May 2013
7 Thank ZardozGreenvilleSC
Atlanta, Georgia
“It was amazing”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

One thing about Highlands, there are several top-shelf restaurants from which to choose. Truly great places, all within a square mile.

And we have added another to that list : Lakeside Restaurant.

Lakeside Restaurant is a small place : only 12 tables. Run with love and direct participation of the owners. The menu could arguably be called simple food : Corn Chowder / Scallop Salad, Steak, Fish, Lamb, and good deserts. But the amazingness to us was about how the food was made, the service provided, and of course, the resulting taste.

But no place is without a few issues. And how they are dealt with shows (to us) the real caliber of a place.

We went mostly with the daily specials. Appetizers were the Corn Chowder / Clam Chowder, and a Scallop & Mellon salad. I was worried that the soup would be too creamy, but thankfully it was not, and was excellent. My wife loved the salad.

For the main course, I went with the Halibut special, and I have to say it was the best fish I have EVER had. No overpowering sauce or taste, but a wonderful blend of flavors on very fresh and flakey Halibut cutlet. The underlying coos-coos and vegetable base was very good, too. But the Halibut was the best.

My wife went with their Filet steak, as we had heard so much about it. And here was where the issue arose. It was ordered “medium” (pink inside), but came out closer to medium-well. No Pink. The waitress (who was very attentive and helpful the whole time without being too much) saw that she was not enjoying it, and when the waitress heard the issue of being overcooked, she brought out a new steak, cooked exactly correct. The steak turned out to be wonderful, with a great flavor from a good cut of beef coupled with an excellent marinade. While waiting, however, my wife had a good bit of my Halibut, and agreed it was the best. LOL

Desert included a bread pudding with lots of fresh Blueberries in a special (light) whiskey sauce f or my wife, and a HUGE slice of Mud Pie. My pie was good, but nothing like the bread-pudding (again, we shared). That was truly spectacular.

When the bill came, we saw that they had removed the steak from it. We said that it should not have been, as they delivered one that was perfectly cooked, and we ate it. But they insisted, as there never should have been the issue in the first place. Now that is true, but how many places would actually do it?

You will need reservations. So call early and get on the list. And this is a pricy place, even for Highlands.

Based on one visit, we found the food was excellent. For us, far better than Madisons (two visits there. Sorry Old Edwards), and better than Wolfgangs and Paolettis (which has been our favorite), the other high-end places.

We will be back again, and try other selections.

• Visited May 2013
8 Thank Jim S
Alabama
“Fantastic Restaurant!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We love to eat at Lakeside every time we visit Highlands. It is a great place but quite small and popular, so be sure to make your reservations well ahead. We are always greeted by a friendly hostess. Kelly was our waitress this visit. She was friendly, professional and helped to make our anniversary celebration very special. The owner, Marty, also visited our table to make sure our experience was just right. We both had halibut which was delicious. We will be back!

• Visited May 2013