“OK hotel”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in High Point
greensboro nc
“OK hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This Hotel has been through different chains fom Radisson to Best Western. Some updates have been carried on during the last year but more are needed.
The service desk personnel is always friendly. Restaurant food (when open) is just average and service could be improved.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank italianmannc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately we didn't stay, so I can't evaluate the hotel. We took one look at the area, which was surrounded by blight and boarded-up storefronts and decided to move on, canceling our reservation. Very depressing.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank traveler11999
Corine H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel High Point, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
I am not sure this is the High Point Plaza Hotel. There are no boarded up store fronts downtown High Point.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The overpowering smell of ammonia upon entry to Room 1 was bad. But the worst surprise was discovering that the carpet was absolutely SOAKED, as though someone had poured multiple buckets of water on it, in a large area by the bed and desk. On the dingy, dark carpet, it had been invisible until I took my shoes off. Totally gross! The front desk staff suspected a leaky air conditioner unit. I certainly hope it was merely ac water and not something worse.

I changed rooms and left quickly. So it wasn’t until I returned much later, exhausted and looking forward to a hot shower, that I realized this 2nd room had no shower curtain!

In addition to these truly odd circumstances, there were multiple spots and things that needed replacing, cleaning or re-attaching. Closet hangers were an assortment of wood and wire. The cheap plastic soap dish was just sad.

In the restaurant, most breakfast options were a bargain $5, and I believe every waitress greeted me warmly. However, my coffee didn’t arrive until after the food, despite several requests, and milk or cream never arrived, so I ended up twice walking across the restaurant to pour my own milk in my coffee.

The sheets were immaculate and crisp, and the bed was comfy. The front desk staff was super friendly and efficient. The location is extremely convenient to the Furniture Market. Rooms were pretty quiet, too. Nonetheless, I hope I never have to stay there again.

Room Tip: Check for shower curtains, puddles. Rooms on the street side have a blah view, rooms facing the furn...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Moorestown, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Nice and clean hotel with very helpful and efficient front-desk staff. When we got there the shower curtain was missing and they had someone bring one up and set in up within a couple of minutes. Comfortable beds and quiet air-conditioning system. The pool, however, was not that great as it was not as clean as one would like. Breakfast is not included, however they do have a restaurant where you can get breakfast and there is a Krispy Creme shop a couple of minutes away. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here for a bicycle conference. The hotel staff were very accommodating. I arrived with a reservation but they couldn't find it in their system, but they matched the quoted rate on my email confirmation and found me a room. The room was nice, quiet, and comfortable. The breakfast was inexpensive and okay. I ate one night in the bar bistro and it was good with great service there. The only problem is that there are no restaurants within about a two mile radius except Jimmy's Pizza a couple of blocks away. So, if you don't want to drive, you are pretty much limited to pizza or bar food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
New Bern, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I found our recent stay at the High Point Plaza Hotel to be disappointing. Our visit coincided with a booking for a convention during which participants dressed unconventionally. Hotel management and staff did not enforce a dress code for the public areas of the hotel, permitting suggestive and non-family-appropriate attire to be worn in the lobby, restaurant, bar and elevators. Other than our disappointment in management’s lack of concern for the sensibilities of their guests, we found the property itself to be acceptable. We will not be guests of the High Point Plaza Hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
North Central Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We wondered into High Point on a Sunday afternoon in June as we were planning on doing some shopping on Monday. The hotel staff were extremely accommodating as we had no reservation. I asked for a connecting room as we were traveling with our three kids. They offered me a three room suite for $175!. The only problem we experienced was a AC unit that overheated and forced the hotel to evacuate for about a half hour. The staff quickly gave us a penthouse three room suite that was marvelous for the same rate. The staff in the hotel restaurant were extremely courteous as well. We really enjoyed our very brief stay in this lovely downtown hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a special rate if you are not staying during the High Point Furniture season.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family