“Just Not My Kind of Q”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Piedmont, NC
“Just Not My Kind of Q”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I wanted very much to love this place. The BBQ I grew up loving in my home town had a wonderful vinegar based sauce. The reviews for this location suggested I might find something similar here. I will refrain from saying this is good or bad BBQ since it's obvious everyone's taste for Q varies from one person to the other. I ordered a BBQ plate which came with fries, slaw and hushpuppies.

First to pros: The hushpuppies were hot, fried to perfection, light with a great flavor and not greasy. To me they were the best of the four items I ate. The service was nice and friendly, and my cup of tasty sweet tea was kept filled. My food was delivered to the table about 4 minutes after I placed my order. The chopped BBQ meat was very tender with no fat mixed in.

Cons: Unfortunately I could not taste any smoke in the BBQ because the strong vinegar sauce overpowered everything else. The sauce I grew up loving was made with several items including white distilled vinegar. The sauce here tastes like apple cider vinegar with few other spices that I could taste. The meat was quite dry. I looked on the table for additional sauce of any sort that might add moisture to the meat but there was none available. The flavor of the slaw also seemed overpowered with a strong vinegar based sauce. The fries were room temperature and had little flavor. I think they would have been much better had they been hot.

It is apparent that a lot of folks like the Q here, so please don't use my experience to keep you from trying a meal here. I think every BBQ place is worth trying at least once! Sadly this isn't my kind of BBQ and therefore I likely will not be returning.

The menu consists mainly of BBQ, burgers and hot dogs. If you're not hungry for one of these three items, you might want to go elsewhere.

I like the character of this restaurant. It is kind of small and dated but I did not see anything worn out or broken. My booth was very comfortable.

• Visited June 2013

Greensboro NC
“My favorite in N.C.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Barbecue pork in particular is a food item that people, especially in North Carolina, have strong and varying opinions about, to put it mildly. I have had it in dozens of different restaurants in the state - and elsewhere - have really enjoyed many, and can find something to like about most. For example, I like Stamey's in Greensboro, BBQ Joe's in High Point, and Lexington BBQ. Some of the chains (e.g., Dickey's, Shanes) do a nice job. (Mixing it up is fun and entertaining.)

However, to the question "which one do you like the best?", I generally must reply "Kepley's", where I have dined regularly for 20 + years. First, the quality of the pork is outstanding; I think they use shoulders exclusively. The meat is very tender and moist, and flavorful without being overwhelming; a little smoke essence from the wood, but not overpowering. The vinegar sauce provided is just right. I have never encountered gristle, skin or similar off-putting (to me) extraneous material in Kepley's BBQ. I prefer it chopped, but the sliced is very good as well (my wife prefers it). It is consistently prepared, and tastes, the same way, which is big in BBQ. (When I eat here for the first time in a while, on my first bite or two I just close my eyes and savor.)

The hush puppies are outstanding, and the slaw is very good. We like the cherry pie with ice cream when they have it - just the right degree of tartness. Service has never been a problem.

The prices are reasonable. The owners/operators are friendly and courteous. It is not fancy or pretentious in the least (looks from the outside a bit like a train car) but is clean - feels and looks like a great BBQ place is supposed to. The local regulars are always much in evidence. If you enjoy good BBQ but have not tried Kepley's, you need to.

• Visited April 2013
6 Thank CarolinaTrekkers
“Not Bad!!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Hushpuppies was the best thing. Barbeque not bad for vinegar based. Selection was a little weak and only one sauce to choose from.

• Visited April 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
“Fast and yummy!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

What stands out the most about my visit to Kepley's is the speed at which our food was delivered! We were served practically as soon as we ordered and enjoyed the food immesnely. The hush puppies were fabulous and I have to admit I liked all the pig decorations on the walls. The barbecue needed sauce to spice it up a little but was delicious once that was done. It was clear that the place had a history (it was founded 1948) and was a quick, fun experience. Reccomended!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Addiemac32
Sanford, Florida
“Consistently Excellent”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

As a native of High Point, NC, I have been going to Kepley's Barbecue since I was old enough to eat solid food. Bob and Charlie have kept the same consistent formula for decades and I believe the barbecue, slaw and hush puppies set the standard. Of course I am somewhat prejudiced as I am always treated like family whenever we stop by, but am pleased that this faithful stalwart of "Barbecue Heaven" continues to thrive.

• Visited November 2012