“Not Very Good”

Ranked #16 of 283 Restaurants in High Point
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Unforunately my wife and I both had very marginal actually bad entrees here on New Year's Eve. The cowboy ribeye was very disappointing in size and flavor and her marinated filet equally as bad. The "sauteed onions were crispy and the mushrooms barely warmed. I didn't want to complain that night as one of our dining partners recomended this palce and she actually enjoyed her meal and I didn't want to spoil the mood. I did go back over 3 days later and explain to the manager that my $125 meal was awful and he offered me a free appetizer. I politley declined and he said he would relay to the owner and I would hear back from them. 10 days later no call. My 2 cents!

Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is a follow up to my less than satisfactory review last month. For this next visit we ordered different entrées.

We again enjoyed the appetizer bread, though I requested regular butter to replace the garlic butter normally served (too much garlic for my taste).

We each started out with a house salad with bacon balsamic vinaigrette dressing. The salad was made with a delicious variety of fresh greens, pecan pieces, and craisans. Excellent. And the dressing was so good I wish it were generally available to claim as a favorite wherever I have a salad.

For the entée this time I ordered the Bourbon Street Filet. It was grilled to a proper medium rare and was very good. I would rank it as #5 or 6 in the area. The top steak in the area is so good that it makes table conversation difficult. The Bourbon Street Filet here is not that good, but its mild marinate had a good flavor. The steak was definitely passable.

My wife's prime rib was not cooked to order, being more rare than she prefers. And, while heavy marbling is normal for prime rib, it was excessive here. After trimming there was little meat to eat.

After my last visit the owner commented kindly on my review and noted that he would have liked a manager to know when something is not satisfactory. I would have preferred that, too, but the server just shrugged her shoulders when I showed her the state of the Carriage House ribeye I had ordered then. He would also have preferred to have heard from me afterward in less than a week, but I thought 3 days, while normally too long, is still less than half of a week. However, most people will not say anything about a problem to avoid embarrassment...choosing simply to not return. Keeping it real here. And this last visit was much better.

More comprehensive reviews at FrictionFactor dot com.

Reviewed December 6, 2011

After many years of being curious about this restaurant, my husband & I finally tried it this evening, to much disappointment. Walking in the door, we were quickly shuttled into the "Bistro" area with no choice. It was chilly and so dark we could hardly see (in fact one patron took out a flashlight to read his menu)! The waiter was harried & hurried to say the least. It took us forever to even receive our meal. I had to ask several times for rolls (which didn't arrive until the main course with additional prompting and apologies). In fact the waiter did apologize (a minimum of 6 times) when he was around, explaining that they had several large Christmas parties and that was the excuse, plus he said he had gotten our ticket in after the large and apparently more important parties. Meanwhile 4 other tables seated after us (with a different server) were served their food with bread, cocktails, etc. I asked about the "specials", and was told there were so many he had to write them down (there were TWO)! We ordered one of each, plus the Voodoo Shrimp (which you would think would be "spicy or "voodo-ish", neither of which it was. Just 2 skewers grilled basically), and coffee (good, but should have been at 2.75 a cup)! Good thing I asked for my Tilapia blackened, since it would have had little taste without. The grits were good and cheesy, and the asparagus nicely cooked. My husbands $40 steak dinner (16 oz. t-bone w/crabmeat), was nicely cooked but way to fatty, thin, and gristly. We could have gotten 3x the meal at Outback for half the price! I was extremely disappointed in the decor (think sparse outdoor deck at night with natural darkness and uncomfortable chairs), lack of ambiance, slowness of service, mediocre-ness of food, and the fact that they automatically added an 18% charge when we used the $15 off Attractions coupon! If the waiter had a moment to breath, my husband actually would have complained (and this is something he NEVER does). We then would have spoken to the Manager or the Host to provide them some feedback, but neither was around when we left. In fact no one ever came along to see how anything was. We did mention when we first got there that it was our first visit. We also mentioned this to the Host when he served us our main courses. We told the waiter one more time when we got up to finally leave when we did tell him of our displeasure. Close to 2 hours later, we felt sorry for the waiter, and somewhat "robbed" with the total bill of $95.64 for just the 2 of us with one appetizer, no cocktails, and no desert or extras!! The one suggestion the waiter had was to use the buy one get one receipt that printed out with our bill (that you had to use within 2 weeks) and to try them again during a lunch!! No thank you. Sad.

1  Thank Betty E
Reviewed November 17, 2011

My wife and I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary at Steak Street. That will be definitely be our choice from now on. Everyone was so professional and the service was great. I had the Bourbon St. Filet and my wife had Pecan Encrusted Chicken. Both entrees and side dishes were very generous in size and abosolutely DELICIOUS! My steak was cooked perfect and my wifes chicken was huge! I ended up eating half of it. We had to get dessert and the Mud Pie was the best dessert we have ever had!

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Years ago when Steak Street first opened we had dinner there, hoping to have found another good restaurant. We did not like it and did not return....until LivingSocial came out with a special offer. So we decided to try it again and ate there today.

We both ordered a French onion soup. It had little broth and not much cheese on top, and the cheese was not toasted (so few do this soup "right" nowadays). I ordered the Carriage House Ribeye with baked potato, toppings on the side. The potato came fully loaded, but it was pretty good. The steak, though, was a big disappointment. My first bite, coming off the main meat part of the steak tasted like I'd eaten a big bite of fat. So I started carving off the fat. Talk about being well "marbled." By the time I removed the fat, the remainder was less than a third of the original steak. And the connective tissue was so dense it was hard to cut, and still tasted like it was mostly fat. Very much not impressed. As we left we tried to make the best of it by noting that it came out to only $10 each plus tip, but then we looked at each other...nah...still not worth it.

See more reviews and friction reducing information at FrictionFactor dot com.

cw2379, Manager at Steak Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

We are extremely sorry you did not find your meal up to our proven high standards. We only wish you had alerted us to your displeasure at the time of your dining experience which would have enabled us to correct any problems you may have had rather than to alert us a week afterwards. We are all about quality and customer service and sincerely appreciate your feedback. Customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal as it has been for the past 13 years. Please allow us the opportunity to impress you as we have countless others upon your arrival on your next visit. We promise you won't be disappointed. Thank you, CW