“2 Saturday nights in a row!”
Review of Maize Cantina - CLOSED

Maize Cantina
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kernersville, NC
“2 Saturday nights in a row!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I had to post another review of Maize because it keeps getting better. The food is so unique and fresh here. Another salt air margarita ($11 so it's not cheap) however it's amazing. Last week I had the blackened shrimp tacos and craved them all week afterward. This week I went with a salad. To my delight it was a chopped salad with cabbage, spinach, red onion, avocado, green olive, etc. AMAZING AND SO HEALTHY! I topped it with the blackened shrimp. We also tried the queso dip this time, also great and a good portion for $5. I was glad to see the restaurant was packed because I don't want them going anywhere!

2 Thank Heather875

North Carolina
“Glad I tried it”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Food was flavorful and a good attempt at southwestern cuisine, I've traveled in New Mexico and this is as close to true New Mexican Cuisine I've found, staff was friendly, helpful and attentive, don't go in expecting the usual Mexican Restaurant you find here in NC, you will be disappointed but if you want to try true Southwestern / Spanish food give it a try.

• Visited January 2014
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Will not return”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I'm am from New Mexico and this was NOT what I was expecting. The green enchiladas were not what you get in New Mexico. There was no taste of green chile. You have to pay $5 for chips and salsa. All Mexican restaurants I've been to, especially in New Mexico, and local...Mi Pueblo, La Fiesta..the chips and salsa are FREE. In New Mexico you always get bean and rice with your entree. Here you have to pay for one. I order a cheese enchilada with out the meat and egg and ask for rice instead. The cheese enchiladas that the rice and beans inside the corn tortilla. NOT good. When you enter the restaurant you would never know it was Mexican food. Looks more like Applebee's. The tres salsa and chips are with tomatillo, pico de gallo and a regular salsa. Again..NO green chile which is big..really big in New Mexico. Sorry..I was just expecting so much more!!

• Visited December 2013
NC
“Delightful experience with a hint of spice!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I found this restaurant shortly after it opened and love the food. The atmosphere is slightly upscale and outside seating a plus in good weather.
We have returned almost weekly to enjoy the ginger mojito with various selections on the menu. The soups are wonderful as is the shrimp en crema ( my weekly favorite). Portions are good size and flavors are a tasteful change from steak houses or mexican. The staff is very friendly and knowledgable but not hovering or annoying.
The desserts are almost all house made and excellent. Flour less chocolate cake with drunken cherries had a hint of heat, while mango cake with buttercream frosting and lemon curd had my husband wanting to lick the plate.
This restaurant is a wonderful addition to local restaurants and you need to give it a try.
Some weekend nights they offer music, which had us ordering another drink just to sit a while longer.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank lperonto
Midway, North Carolina
“Triads only South-Western Restaurant, Yum Y !!! ”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

The ONLY Authentic South-Western Restaurant in High Point, Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

I love their Enchilada Roja, I ask them if they would make mine with Mahi Mahi, They always do.

I wish and Pray for their continued success, that Freida, Priscilla, and Dennis are here for years to come.

1 Thank Brad McGee B